The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Whether McClelland got the call right or wrong--something still open to debate--his mechanics and the way he went about making a call were not exactly the best. In fact, he caused more problems because of this.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Whether McClelland got the call right or wrong--something still open to debate--his mechanics and the way he went about making a call were not exactly the best. In fact, he caused more problems because of this.

Actually there pretty damn good. He's just really slow......something I have read time and again on this board... slow down and when you think your slow enough slow down some more. Now, that said, I don't advocate McC slow, but he is actually quite good!
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
What problems did McClelland cause?

Neither Bud Black nor Barrett even disputed the call.

The Padres are not whining about it.

It was a media generated controversy for couch potatoes with absolutely no video evidence to make an informed decision that what McClelland ruled was wrong.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
How unusual. Normally, he's the spoon stirring the pot.
Yeah, well ever since coming to the Padres he had been on his best behavior. He still interacted too much with a few unfriendly opposing fans, but for the most part he was a model citizen. Got along well with others. Played nice in the sandbox (bandbox in Denver). Report card stuff. He was also by far the hottest Padres hitter, damn near carrying us on his back for quite a while there. Too bad his true nature emerged when it did and not in the off-season where he wouldn't have damaged the team as much.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Well, MLB must still be happy with McClelland because he is working the NLCS this year. The article from his hometown paper says so.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Actually there pretty damn good. He's just really slow......something I have read time and again on this board... slow down and when you think your slow enough slow down some more. Now, that said, I don't advocate McC slow, but he is actually quite good!
I'm not talking about his timing, although in the play at hand, that added to the confusion. As other umpires have mentioned, the manner in which McClelland did this whole thing made matters worse.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

selig input

Bud Selig was on "Mike and Mike" on ESPN radio this am........said he has seen the replay 100 times and he has seen nothing that would lead him to believe that Tim McClelland was anything but 100% correct......

This was in response to Mike Golic's question regarding the possiblity of instant replay in baseball..... (selig says no).

It was good to hear the commisioner stand up for the umpires.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Why should have McClelland signaled safe any faster? Watch the replay again. There was NO TAG. The catcher never caught the ball. It was banging around against his body and then rolled away from him. If there is no attempt to tag, there is no play for the umpire to signal safe to, is there?

McClelland saw the runner slide and touch home while the catcher was groping for the ball and then had to chase it down after it got away from him. Once the catcher got the ball and went to go tag the runner (which he should have done just in case) McClelland signaled safe to let the catcher know that the runner had already tagged home.

Seems to me that McClelland did it exactly the way you are supposed to. No signal on a runner touching home when there is no tag. Signaling safe when the catcher went to tag the runner to indicate that McClelland had the touch of the plate.

McClelland wasn't slow to signal, none was necessary until the catcher tried to tag the runner.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

this horse is DEAD DEAD DEAD, buryed and dug up and BEATEN again! let it ROT!

fortheluvogod
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

As always, no one is forcing you to read this thread. You have free will. If you choose to continue reading this thread, that is your choice. If you think the thread is being beaten to death, please STOP READING IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
this horse is DEAD DEAD DEAD, buryed and dug up and BEATEN again! let it ROT!

fortheluvogod
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
If you think the thread is being beaten to death, please STOP READING IT!
And BEATING it! If Barrett had caught the ball, Holliday would have been out. He didn't do his job, so we'll see ya in Peoria next Spring.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone has commented on McClelland's habitually slow mechanics. But as my mentor Carl Childress has told me many times, there are two plays that can be called immediately - with no chance of reversal - safe at first and safe at home. If the runner actually touched home plate, there is NO reason to delay. He is safe - now and forever - regardless of whether the catcher tagged him or the ball got away or whatever.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Indeed, which is why McClelland, who for a tad too long, looked like a deer in the headlights.
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 06:42pm
Veteran College Umpire

From the newspaper article -
"Barrett was quoted after the game on the incident: "I've never, ever second-guessed Tim McClelland at home plate. And when he told me he was safe, there was no argument in my mind.""

Wish I got that kind of respect from the folks I work for....

JJ
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 06:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxUmp
Everyone has commented on McClelland's habitually slow mechanics. But as my mentor Carl Childress has told me many times, there are two plays that can be called immediately - with no chance of reversal - safe at first and safe at home. If the runner actually touched home plate, there is NO reason to delay. He is safe - now and forever - regardless of whether the catcher tagged him or the ball got away or whatever.
You're comparing Carl to Tim McClelland?
Closed Thread