View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Except he can not do it if pitcher is in contact, he would be out in this case.

I will add that I have never seen a batter change positions in the box during an at bat, so this is a rare case. There is a reason for switch hitters to bat one way or the other, ie which arm the pitcher is pitching with. For a switch hitter to change in mid at bat should mean a pitching change has been made durinig the at bat and the new pitcher throws with a different arm. I can not remember ever seeing a new pitcher come in during an at bat throwing from a different side either.

Since most fall leagues are pretty laid back, instructional, whatever you want to call it, if a batter was continuously swapping back and forth I would tell him to stop that nonsense and if his coach insisted there was no rule against it, ie condoning such nonsense, I think I would likely say "ok, I agree, you are right, change sides as much as you like" and then send a message he would not likely understand because he is too dumb to understand.

If a kid was doing this within the rules, he's not delaying the game so other than making you slide over a step or two each pitch what difference does it make?
I've never thought about it but it may disconcert the pitcher.
3-1 count pitcher gets ball back from F2 walks back to mound, B1 switches sides, F1 turns back to home and sees B1 on "wrong" side of plate. he complains because he just assumes that is wrong, Ump allows it because he should. F1 is now flustered and of course walks B1.
Not a bad strategy.