The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Idiots are easily impressed. With real managers, you start that kind of bush league threats, then don't be surprised as PU when F2 just quite doesn't get his mitt up high enough to catch that 90mpher "erroneously" aimed at your head.

What a bunch of Hollywood junk you are preaching here. Young umpires who read this think that you actually act out this "I always have a witty, controlling, smartism" that stumps managers and players into reverence for you.

"Gosh, the PU, he was reely good, he put me in my place, he'll teach us a thing or two. Everyone, get up and Yell "Go Blue"; no telling what Mr. Einstein might do next!"

Yeah, you're an expert alright. Spokane is a haven for baseball.
As with all game management techniques, Garth's suggestion won't work for everyone, or for anyone everytime. It can be productively used, however. I have used a similar technique successfully.

I'm open to other (better?) suggestions.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

E.g. East Cobb-Atlanta coach, high powered program, multi-million $$$ private fields, has his players running in the outfield warning track, between innings, during the inning when there is "Time". On dead balls. Teh during play.
(Assuming you're talking about the East Cobb AAU (private) program, and not some high school team

Here in South Carolina my association umpires a lot of AAU (and the like) tournaments during the Summer and Fall. (And we do have a lot of tournaments...for instance, Charleston has three NCAA Division 1 schools, one of which has 2 home fields...so its a great town to have a tournament).

Anyways, I can say with very high confidence that no head coach of any visiting (out-of-state) program has been ejected more often and more consistently by members of my association than the East Cobb head coach...for pulling **** like this.

Frankly, we have 10-15 Division 1 college umpires in our association that umpire these fall tournaments...and they (we) won't put up with that ****.

I, personally, have never tossed him...he's been quiet the three times I've had him...so as of right now I have no problems with him.

I don't know how many total times he's been tossed by us...However, I've heard the multiple war stories from fellow association members...and, thus, I'm always prepared to shut him down immediately should anything start up.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 10:26pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

E.g. East Cobb-Atlanta coach, high powered program, multi-million $$$ private fields, has his players running in the outfield warning track, between innings, during the inning when there is "Time". On dead balls. Teh during play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
(Assuming you're talking about the East Cobb AAU (private) program, and not some high school team
Yep, Gerry Baldwin and his troops to be specific. I was referring to his anitcs in particular.

Quote:
Here in South Carolina my association umpires a lot of AAU (and the like) tournaments during the Summer and Fall. (And we do have a lot of tournaments...for instance, Charleston has three NCAA Division 1 schools, one of which has 2 home fields...so its a great town to have a tournament).

Anyways, I can say with very high confidence that no head coach of any visiting (out-of-state) program has been ejected more often and more consistently by members of my association than the East Cobb head coach...for pulling **** like this.
I tossed Gerry twice in one DH. He started on me re: a balk call I "missed" from the game before. I was PU for this game and I warned him I let him go to finish but "Nope" he had to push the point. He is roundly considered psychotic on the field. So I sent him to cook hotdogs, come Game Two, deja vu, I tossed him as he started the same crying song as soon as he left the dugout.

Quote:
Frankly, we have 10-15 Division 1 college umpires in our association that umpire these fall tournaments...and they (we) won't put up with that ****.
Tell them Congrats, toss him for fitump56!

Quote:
I, personally, have never tossed him...he's been quiet the three times I've had him...so as of right now I have no problems with him.

I don't know how many total times he's been tossed by us...However, I've heard the multiple war stories from fellow association members...and, thus, I'm always prepared to shut him down immediately should anything start up.
Only way, don't give him an inch, not a millimeter. His umps in EC are hand picked to take his crap and let him essentially cheat. To keep umps, he has to pay them $15 or more per game over the going rate.

Off field, Gerry is OK and he is super sharp on the diamond. But he and 2 or 3 dozen more come from that EC/Atlanta Southern genre that umps are made to be hard-worked, humiliated, and intimidated.