The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:20pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs down Obesity In Umpiring

1 in 3 Americans are considered obese, more buy some standards, less by others. I was out at the ballpark tonite, a octoplex, with soft and hard ball playing. I counted 50 different umpires and 35 of them were hanging bellies over their belts. That was the men, all four of the women were obese.

Some of these guys were jokes trying to cover 90' fields, not a single one attempted to cover 2B when their partners lumbered out on fly balls with no one on.

Obesity is simply overconsumption, gluttony; it's not like smoking, the horrible addiction that is.

If we are to set examples for the kids we umpire, and it is arguable if that is our burden, then the increasing levels of obesity are a public shame.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
1 in 3 Americans are considered obese, more buy some standards, less by others. I was out at the ballpark tonite, a octoplex, with soft and hard ball playing. I counted 50 different umpires and 35 of them were hanging bellies over their belts. That was the men, all four of the women were obese.

Some of these guys were jokes trying to cover 90' fields, not a single one attempted to cover 2B when their partners lumbered out on fly balls with no one on.

Obesity is simply overconsumption, gluttony; it's not like smoking, the horrible addiction that is.

If we are to set examples for the kids we umpire, and it is arguable if that is our burden, then the increasing levels of obesity are a public shame.
So long as an umpire can get into position and make good calls, I don't have a problem with obesity. Obesity is just like height and age; it only has an influence on one's umpiring abilities if people use it as a form of discrimination. Keep in mind as well that body type is genetic. If we could all be like Arnold Schwartzeneger we would, but we have to work with whatever size we have.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
So long as an umpire can get into position and make good calls, I don't have a problem with obesity. Obesity is just like height and age; it only has an influence on one's umpiring abilities if people use it as a form of discrimination. Keep in mind as well that body type is genetic. If we could all be like Arnold Schwartzeneger we would, but we have to work with whatever size we have.
I've noticed the likes of Joe West, Bruce Froemming and Durwood Merrill to name a few are going by the wayside. I believe one's physical appearance is now becoming an issue with MiLB and MLB umpires. Diet and exercise have apparently become required with the job description.

In other words, PBUC is spitting out clones. You don't meet certain requirements, you don't cut the muster. Meet the minimum standards, or get a government job. The choice is yours.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:46pm

I've been overweight for quite some time now, and I never had any trouble beating any BR, no matter how much of a jackrabbit, to third base on a naked triple starting in A. On the plate, I've never had any trouble beating any BR to the 2nd base cutout when a partner went out on a fly ball. And then beat them to third if they go for 3.

There are plenty of overweight umpires who can umpire circles around their slimmer brethren. It's much to do with knowing how to take drop steps, take superior angles to get to plays, knowing the game well, and a little thing called hustle. I've seen lots of lazy skinny umpires who hardly move at all, and plenty of big husky fellas that get around pretty damn good.

Fat bashing is popular for people with nothing better to do (example: post #1). Those with no weight problem seem to think they have all the answers. Just stop eating. Bullsh!t. If that's all it took, then it would be easy and everyone would be skinny (how boring if we were all clones!).

There are many medical reasons for retaining weight. My wife is overweight, but she eats like a bird. She has a bad knee which prevents her from any heavy exercise, but she isn't big because she eats too much, or eats the wrong food. Both of us are diabetic, which makes it doubly hard to lose the weight we already had when diagnosed.

Sure, there are plenty of cases of people that just sit around eating like Sherman Klump, but for every one of those, there are people (like my wife and myself) who have medical conditions which lead to weight problems.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
not a single one attempted to cover 2B when their partners lumbered out on fly balls with no one on.
I've seen several skinny umps not cover 2B in this sitch - it's not a fat problem it's a lazy problem. I've also seen several rather large fellas cover a lot of ground (and rapidly).

Size doesn't always play a roll in agility or "how far you move" - it's a matter of "want to" - some have it, some don't

And just for the record, not every one that is obese is a "victim" of gluttony. Many of them suffer from a medical condition. Also, a belly hanging over the belt (in and of itself) is not obesity. There is a large (pardon the pun) difference in over weight and obese.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:49pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Obesity has nothing to do with genetics, by definition, an obese person is one who willingly overconsumes thereby creating a known health hazard with well known health adversities. There is a cardiologist that my Boss, Interested Ump, is close friends with. Dr. Chung and IU collaborated on the Two Pound Diet. Simple formula, eat only 2 lbs of anything (except water) you will lose then maintain a healthy weight.

What I find extraordinary is that umpires seem to be well outside the 1 in 3 norm.

The relationship between obesithy and alcoholism is established with many of the obese are mecically considered alcoholic. I have to wonder if umpires by average are also outside the norm for alcoholism.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:53pm

not a single one attempted to cover 2B when their partners lumbered out on fly balls with no one on.

I have come back into the infield after going out on fly balls that weren't caught, only to see a supposed "fit ump" standing at home plate tending his little garden.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Obesity has nothing to do with genetics, by definition, an obese person is one who willingly overconsumes thereby creating a known health hazard with well known health adversities.
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a LOOOOOONG time. Obesity can indeed be genetic. A genteic predisposition for a weight problem makes the fight to "stay fit" rather difficult. You are going to be "big boneded" regardless of what you do to fight it. You can prevent it, even when you are genetically inclined for this condition - but it would take more than just eating two pounds of food/day (which by the way is simply "counting calories." Less than 2000 calories/day = weight loss. Around 1000/day = drastic weight loss (and can be very dangerous for some dieters).

Obesity, by definition, is excessivley over weight, period. It makes no assumption about how one becomes over weight.

Gluttony by definition is willful over consumption (of anything).

Please get your definitions straight before you post inaccurate information.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:06pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
That's the dumbest thing I've read in a LOOOOOONG time. Obesity can indeed be genetic. A genteic predisposition for a weight problem makes the fight to "stay fit" rather difficult. You are going to be "big boneded" regardless of what you do to fight it. You can prevent it, even when you are genetically inclined for this condition - but it would take more than just eating two pounds of food/day (which by the way is simply "counting calories." Less than 2000 calories/day = weight loss. Around 1000/day = drastic weight loss (and can be very dangerous for some dieters).

Obesity, by definition, is excessivley over weight, period. It makes no assumption about how one becomes over weight.

Gluttony by definition is willful over consumption (of anything).

Please get your definitions straight before you post inaccurate information.
Tell you what, if you are so sure, then why not join sci.med.cardiology or call Dr. Andrew Chung, who resides on SCM to counsel just this subject. Then come back and support obesity is genetic, which infers one can't do anything about it.

Complete crap, it's gluttony, overconsumption and nothing else.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
I've noticed the likes of Joe West, Bruce Froemming and Durwood Merrill to name a few are going by the wayside. I believe one's physical appearance is now becoming an issue with MiLB and MLB umpires. Diet and exercise have apparently become required with the job description.

In other words, PBUC is spitting out clones. You don't meet certain requirements, you don't cut the muster. Meet the minimum standards, or get a government job. The choice is yours.
After McSherry dropped dead, it appears you are right. MLB has become more image conscious and have chosen to promote leaner umpires. And more consistent strike zones.

PBUC may be on to something.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:17pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I've been overweight for quite some time now, and I never had any trouble beating any BR, no matter how much of a jackrabbit, to third base on a naked triple starting in A. On the plate, I've never had any trouble beating any BR to the 2nd base cutout when a partner went out on a fly ball. And then beat them to third if they go for 3.
I thought you said you rarely if ever call 90' fields.

Quote:
Fat bashing is popular for people with nothing better to do (example: post #1).
No fat bashing, simple observations. Oversensitive?

Quote:
Those with no weight problem seem to think they have all the answers. Just stop eating. Bullsh!t. If that's all it took, then it would be easy and everyone would be skinny (how boring if we were all clones!).
I am sorry you are obese. It's because you choose to be so. If you would like to debate a cardiologist, please do so.

http://tinyurl.com/3ap4qa

Quote:
There are many medical reasons for retaining weight. My wife is overweight, but she eats like a bird. She has a bad knee which prevents her from any heavy exercise, but she isn't big because she eats too much, or eats the wrong food. Both of us are diabetic, which makes it doubly hard to lose the weight we already had when diagnosed.
No one claimed that medical conditions did not promote obesity but, again, diabetics overconsume, period, end of story.

Quote:
Sure, there are plenty of cases of people that just sit around eating like Sherman Klump, but for every one of those, there are people (like my wife and myself) who have medical conditions which lead to weight problems.
Sorry, come back after you see the cardiologist. You're fooling yourself and you are choosing to be unhealthy when you choose not to be.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:22pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I've seen several skinny umps not cover 2B in this sitch - it's not a fat problem it's a lazy problem. I've also seen several rather large fellas cover a lot of ground (and rapidly).
Anyone who does not cover 2B is lazy. Anyone who is obese makes it that much harder, and less likely, that 2B is going to get properly covered.

Quote:
Size doesn't always play a roll in agility or "how far you move" - it's a matter of "want to" - some have it, some don't

And just for the record, not every one that is obese is a "victim" of gluttony.
Yes, they are.

glut·ton·y (glŭt'n-ē)
n., pl. -ies.

Excess in eating or drinking.

Quote:
Many of them suffer from a medical condition. Also, a belly hanging over the belt (in and of itself) is not obesity. There is a large (pardon the pun) difference in over weight and obese.
Abdominal fat is the worst of the worst of overfat conditions. The number of patients who Dr. Chung has seen whose tummies hang over their belts and are not obese are zero.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

At 185, I'm not overweight, nor do I have a six pack now days. I've seen some of those obiese umps run circles around some of those fit umps. As long as my partner covers his responsibilites, keeps his uniform neat and clean, I don't personally care. I can only worry about my personnal appearance. Hence, I've lost nearly 20 pounds over the past year. However, I've always found it interesting how one can negatively judge another for facial hair, yet being 50 pounds overweight is acceptable. Never judge a book by it's cover, we all would do well to remember that.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tell you what, if you are so sure, then why not join sci.med.cardiology or call Dr. Andrew Chung, who resides on SCM to counsel just this subject. Then come back and support obesity is genetic, which infers one can't do anything about it.
First, I said that it COULD be genetic. I did not say every case was genetic.

Second, being genetic has nothing to do with "assuming nothing can be done about it." It simply means that there is a predisposition to acquire that "trait." When it comes to weight, unless there is a medical reason for it, the person can control it. A person who is genetically inclined to be obese WILL BE a large person, but that person doesn't have to be obese.

Quote:
Complete crap, it's gluttony, overconsumption and nothing else.
This statement is about as stupid as saying that all Mexicans/Blacks/Rednecks look a like. It's a prejudiced remark. BY DEFINITION obesity has nothing to do with gluttony. You are defining one as the other. It amazes me on how many subjects you attempt to be an expert. Ignorance is fine, but don't pretend to know that which you do not. I am not an expert on this subject. However, I have been educated in genetics, physiology, etc - so I'm not completely ignorant and can speak intellegently and without prejudice. Try it, you'll like it.

You are intitled to your opinion of fat people, black people, foreigners, southerners, northerners...but don't post your opinion as fact.

Keep one thing in mind fitty - it's better to keep your mouth shut and have someone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove them correct.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:33pm
In Time Out

Quote:
First, I said that it COULD be genetic. I did not say every case was genetic.
And you would be wrong. Let's see, believe you or a cardiologist, many cardiologists? I'll have to think about that one.
Closed Thread