The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Looking Young

I had a feeling that I was being held back in my association from higher level games, because of my age and not looking very old. Now I realized that that is the truth. My assignor sent an email invitation to do university baseball to all the qualified umpires in my city. I emailed him asking him why I didn't get this email, and he told me that because I look 5 years younger than 19, it may set me up for a lot of trouble.

Personally I could give a rat's *** about age and appearnace. There are many 30+ year veterans in my league that I know I am head and shoulders above.

But I mean come on. Is "looking too young" all that the league has against me? How about some comments on mechanics, strikezone, uniform, positioning and rulebook knowledge. But no, they have to judge a book by its cover and no matter what my ratings might be in all of the important categories, I am a writeoff because I look young. Just a pathetic excuse if you ask me. Your thoughts?
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:18pm

He probably just used that "too young looking" BS to spare your feelings. There is probably a deeper reason, perhaps your "poor me, I'm a victim" attitude you display here on this forum. You probably talk behind other officials' backs, such as these 30 year veterans you are dissing. Things like this can make you unpopular in a hurry. You THINK you are head and shoulders above these men, but that is unlikely.

You are 19. You aren't nearly as good as you think you are. Sorry to break that to you. Talk to us when you get 10 solid years under your belt, and we will re-evaluate your skill level.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Appearance has a lot to do with how we are perceived. If you look like you can barely shave, that is going to indirectly affect how coaches rate you and if other umpires want to work with you. Having said all of that it could be a front for other problems. If you feel you are better than most umpires and you have told a lot of people that, the word might be getting around on you. Sometimes there is more to the picture than just on patch of paint. So you might want to consider other possibilities. Now if you are young you have a lot of time to get those big games. Not everyone gets a big game early. Usually you have to prove you are worthy and that is just simply doing well at the games you currently work. One thing a supervisor said to a group of officials this summer which had me thinking. "If you are not the top official at the current level you work, how are you going to move up to the next level?" Not to say that does not apply to you, but often younger officials do not evaluate themselves realistically. You might be better than some of the 30 year old guys, but it is not like those are the only umpires you are in competition against. Also everyone that is 30 might not look that young.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Your thoughts?
If you umpire like you post, "they" have many reasons for not inviting you to work a higher level.

If you are an excellent umpire, but put forth the perception in real life that you do here, "they" still have reasons for not inviting you to work a higher level.

If you are an excellent umpire, and for some reason only act like you do here, here, then your looks shouldn't hold you up.

My younger son also looks four or five years younger than his age, but he worked high school varsity at 17 and the state varsity tournament, the state legion tournament, and some college ball at 20.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I had a feeling that I was being held back in my association from higher level games, because of my age and not looking very old. Now I realized that that is the truth. My assignor sent an email invitation to do university baseball to all the qualified umpires in my city. I emailed him asking him why I didn't get this email, and he told me that because I look 5 years younger than 19, it may set me up for a lot of trouble.

Personally I could give a rat's *** about age and appearnace. There are many 30+ year veterans in my league that I know I am head and shoulders above.

But I mean come on. Is "looking too young" all that the league has against me? How about some comments on mechanics, strikezone, uniform, positioning and rulebook knowledge. But no, they have to judge a book by its cover and no matter what my ratings might be in all of the important categories, I am a writeoff because I look young. Just a pathetic excuse if you ask me. Your thoughts?
It is a pathetic excuse. He should be right upfront with you and tell you that you are simply not ready yet. And also tell you why. Judging from your posts here, you are not even close to being mature enough to work upper level games of any kind. They'd chew you up and spit you out. You're at least 5 years away experience-wise, and the jury is still out as to whether you'll ever mature enough to become an asset to your umpire's group.

I say that as someone who has been training and assigning officials in two different sports for a long, long time.

There's also no doubt in my mind that you'll also simply dismiss everything that the experienced umpires will tell you in this thread.

You'd be a heckuva lot better off if you'd only learn to shut your mouth and listen for a change.

JMO....feel free to ignore it.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Looks

"The names by which things are called are important in shaping our interpretation of reality. People are often surprised to discover that historical labels which define the past are inventions of later scholarship and ideology, not parts of the past itself."

You join an umpire association and think your looks are holding you back.
I suppose the ugly ole geezers should look UP to you.
Pay your dues or quit like everyone else.
There is no overnight pill.

Last edited by SAump; Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 04:56pm.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
If you umpire like you post, "they" have many reasons for not inviting you to work a higher level.

If you are an excellent umpire, but put forth the perception in real life that you do here, "they" still have reasons for not inviting you to work a higher level.

If you are an excellent umpire, and for some reason only act like you do here, here, then your looks shouldn't hold you up.

My younger son also looks four or five years younger than his age, but he worked high school varsity at 17 and the state varsity tournament, the state legion tournament, and some college ball at 20.
You may have some potential but Im sure you are quite raw & unpolished. You have also made some foolish posts in the past, perception = reality canada6
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Canadacoach, I echo the thoughts of my brethren here. Just based on your errant posts, odd opinions, and victim attitude (not just on this post, but others), I would not guess that you are ready for those games at all. Experience is not just knowing where to stand or what to look for ... it's also how to handle (and not BE handled by) coaches and adversity ... it's also how you work with (and not against) your partners, your willingness to learn as much as teach. I think you have a ways to go here. Your young appearance is joined by your youngish attitude, and is likely only half of the story.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Canada, I don't know you from Adam's house cat but let me ask one question. All ability, knowledge, etc set aside...Do think a college coach that's gone toe to toe with some of the best umps in the country will give two hoots what you can do when he sees what looks like a snot nosed 15 year old, still wet behind the ears kid walk onto HIS field? He'll be on you until you're back in diapers. It'd be a Rat's greatest dream come true.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Get the experience in game management and keep improving. You'll get the games when you are indeed ready. Your assignor obviously sees something that you are unaware of. Ask him to tell you, and tell him to be blunt and honest about it.

It seems that those have been around the board longer than I've been back on it have seen somethings for you to work on. Take their advice.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
He probably just used that "too young looking" BS to spare your feelings. There is probably a deeper reason, perhaps your "poor me, I'm a victim" attitude you display here on this forum.
If that is the case, I really wish my assignor would tell me what the real reason is for not giving my higher-level games. All he has given me is "you're too young and you look too young", so I am not about to assume there is any other significant problem until he tells me otherwise.

Quote:
You probably talk behind other officials' backs, such as these 30 year veterans you are dissing.
Actually I have been very good about keeping my feelings on these other officials to myself. I've seen tons of bad umpiring ie calling the pitch before it hits the mit, calling it way too low, etc. I do mention some of these things to one of my umpiring friends, and sometimes my assignor and I discuss other umpires, but I would have to believe that just about everyone else in my association does the same thing. Do you never discuss other umpires' weak points?

Quote:
You THINK you are head and shoulders above these men, but that is unlikely.
You haven't seen some of the guys I work with. That is not to say that all of them are weak- there are 4 or 5 guys who are very good.

Quote:
we will re-evaluate your skill level.
How did I do on my most recent evaluation? What did you think about my strike zone? Timing? Positioning? Rulebook knowledge? Uniform? Was it tough evaluating me over the internet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I am quite different in real life than I am on here. This is a great place to burn off some steam. I'm a perfectionist, and when things aren't going well you're likely to get the whiney side of me on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicReferee
There's also no doubt in my mind that you'll also simply dismiss everything that the experienced umpires will tell you in this thread.
And did I dismiss everything they said to me in this thread? As I virtually always do, I took their advice into account. You know, you've been on my case for a long time. You don't know me. Don't make judgements, and don't tell me how to act because I take offence to that. Go back to the basketball forum where you belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Pay your dues or quit like everyone else.
I pay my dues every time I do a game by coming prepared, focusing on the play or pitch and studying my rulebook and interpretations. Of course, if paying my dues means standing around on a ball diamond for another 25+ years without putting forth a full effort, then I guess I have a long way to go. Not that you're likely to read this when you choose to ignore-list me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Canadacoach,
Yes that is correct, in addition to being a baseball umpire, I am also a baseball coach and baseball player. I know you all hate me for it, but frankly I couldn't care less if any of you are jelous. Because jelousy is the only explanation I can think of for why you guys hate players and coaches so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManinBlue
when he sees what looks like a snot nosed 15 year old
I take offence to this statement as well. I'm not snot nosed and that is certainly something that you can decide, considering the fact that you've never seen me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManinBlue
He'll be on you until you're back in diapers. It'd be a Rat's greatest dream come true.
No he will not. If he starts trying to intimidate me, he's on a very short leash. I can stand my ground no matter who old or experienced the coach. I don't care how long he's been in the game, so long as he is respectful we will not have any problems. I am not about to let anyone give me a hard time.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

You obviously read what you wanted to in my post. And quoted the "offensive" comment. I worded it specifically not to be offensive. I was trying my damnedest to give you advice. I will not make that mistake again. I will not apologize for the comments because:

1. - I started by saying that I don't know you.
2. - I said when the coach sees what looks like...I did not say you were a snot nosed kid.

You said you are 19 and look 15. You can't have a lot of experince in games of the stature the games "you missed out on" would have. You need experience in game management. You may put the coach on a short leash, but he WILL make you feel like a putz before he leaves the field, and he probably won't show you much respect on the front end.

You may go prepared, that's great. But you need to learn to take constructive criticism. If you'll notice, everyone bashed you about your style of posting, your attitude, etc on the board. I never once made a comment directed at any of this. You don't want advice - quit freakin' asking for it.

You claim to be offended by the snot nosed kid comment - your reaction leads me to believe that it may be an accurate statement.

You want some advice? You want to get college games, major high school playoff games? Grow the hell up!!!!
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
[QUOTE=canadaump6] All he has given me is "you're too young and you look too young"

You're too young could well mean that you lack sufficient experience. If you look young, you look young.

and when things aren't going well you're likely to get the whiney side of me on here.

No place for whiney on this job, during the game or online.

Go back to the basketball forum where you belong.

Not your call.

Because jelousy is the only explanation I can think of for why you guys hate players and coaches so much.

I truly doubt jealousy has anything to do with it.

No he will not. If he starts trying to intimidate me, he's on a very short leash. QUOTE]

There you go Lance, put 'em on the bubble.......
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 10:50pm

Wow, Canada. Your last two words of your original post were:

"Your thoughts?"

This means you wanted us to say what we thought. Then when we did what you requested, you had something to criticize every single poster about.

I guess we all should have said, "yes, Canadaump6, you are so worthy of higher level games. Your assignor must be a real jag not to recognize your superior skill level and years of experience. Why, there ought to be a special section in Cooperstown in your honor."

If you do not want honest opinions, do not ask for them.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Young looking?

Quote:
Not that you're likely to read this when you choose to ignore-list me.
For the record,
1) I was unaware I upset your nationality.
2) I have never used the ignore list.
3) I have been wrong before.
Old Fri Aug 10, 2007, 12:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If you do not want honest opinions, do not ask for them.
This is my same take on this thread.

Peace
Closed Thread