The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should the MLB return to the Balloon?
Yes 0 0%
At their option 6 14.63%
No, they should buck up and stock um on the Ben Gay and Ace bandages 35 85.37%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Of course I was approaching this with a rather tongue-in-cheek sense of humor.

Now! As to why I have the interest in this subject? Watching vintage footage of the American League vets like Nestor Chylack, Art Frantz, etc. using the raft, it got me thinking "why would anyone in their right mind want areas of their bodies exposed to serious injury"? These areas include: Forearms, collarbone, lower sternum, and upper thighs.
When discussing chest protectors, the collarbones, ribs and sternum are the most important areas that need to be protected. If you buy a quality chest protector and properly adjust it, these areas are protected - plain and simple!

The arms, thighs and hands are exposed when using an inside cheat protector and are up to you to protect. Now ask yourself a question: Why would the guys that do this for a living move away from the "raft"? Because it made them more mobile, gave them a better view and made them better umpires! Would they give up protection? I don't think so!

Your problem is simple! You are dealing with amateur players (worse yet, small diamond players) and not professionals. A professional catcher will do everything possible not to let that ball get by him. Amateur players will try but some manage to sneak by them. Small diamond catchers have yet to learn their craft so if you work these games, you might be getting whacked more than normal.

I use a properly adjusted WV Platinum and I have never sustained any injury to any part that the protector was designed to cover. My arms have been hit but nothing that didn't heal. I keep them tight to the body as others so they are not a target. My shin guards take a pounding but my thighs rarely get hit. I do not work the small diamond.

I stress properly adjusted because even the best made chest protector cannot do it;s job if it is not worn properly. Believe me when I tell you that most of the umpires that I see spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest but have no clue how to wear the unit properly! I actually worked with a guy several years ago that was wearing a WV Platinum and broke his left collarbone during a game! I told him as we were dressing that his protector was not correctly adjusted but he said "This is how I like to wear it!". He no longer umpires and tried to sue Wilson. His case was thrown out, by the way.

If you want to use a raft because you are afraid of being exposed, then by all means use it! You are going to take some ribbing for it but I think that it is better to use a raft than using thigh guard underwear and arm guards and hand protectors because they make you look like a complete a$$! By the way, I used to use a raft when I started over two and a half decades ago. The best day of my umpiring career was when I bought my first Diamond chest protector to wear under my Elbeco. I believe the feeling was of Freedom!

Regards
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Excellent explanation indeed. BTW, one advantage my ITECH has, I can cinch the shoulder/upper arm guards for that snug fit.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Ozzy - I wear a WV Platinum and my collarbone could possibly be a bit exposed. Its something that I looked into this past year in front of the mirror. I'm simply out of adjustments on the thing. I'm going to try to rig it up differently for Fall Ball, but if not, my WV Platinum will be in the garbage by next spring.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Ozzy - I wear a WV Platinum and my collarbone could possibly be a bit exposed. Its something that I looked into this past year in front of the mirror. I'm simply out of adjustments on the thing. I'm going to try to rig it up differently for Fall Ball, but if not, my WV Platinum will be in the garbage by next spring.
First of all, the collarbone or clavicle runs from your sternum (breastbone) out to your shoulder along the top of your chest. If you are using a WV Platinum and this is exposed, you are wearing the WV too low!

Also, if you are very slim (my son is a prime example - a bean pole!) the WV Platinum may appear this way in a neutral position (standing). The correct way to look at it is to get into your normal calling stance and view it in the mirror. The WV usually rides up a bit when you are in your stance and that should cover the collarbone area just fine.

If this is still a problem, you may need help from someone (no, not that kind of help!) Have someone adjust the WV for you while you are in your stance and that should solve the problem.

See, it pays to have a little fat around you!

Regards
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The "hole" that your head goes through should be just wide enough to fit your head through it -- it should rub and tug on your ears a bit as you put it on and take it off.

The base of the "Y" strap should be as short as possible. This will help the horizontal strap to pull the protector down in the back, and, thus, up in the front. The horizontal strap needs to be tight (or at least snug) to do this properly.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
The best day of my umpiring career was when I bought my first Diamond chest protector to wear under my Elbeco. I believe the feeling was of Freedom!

Regards

100% agree. I could not have been happier to drop that thing........

that reminds me ....long time ago.... I was running up the first base line doing a 90' game solo.......tripped over the strap of the balloon and FACEPLANTED myself into the dust, got up looking like a sugar donut........and had missed the play.........

I was really happy to modernize.......

Last edited by piaa_ump; Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 11:03am.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I use this properly adjusted and it protects my collarbone:

If you are using this and it isn't protecting your collarbone, you aren't wearing it correctly:

Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Ozzy - you bring up a good point about the WV riding up as you come to your stance. But still, it should cover my collarbone ALL the time.

I understand a properly adjusted WV will cover this area, but I can't tighten the straps that give you a smaller "head hole" anymore. I mean the straps that run right over the shoulders. Is this the "horizontal strap" you are talking about Bob? Or are you refering to the one that raps around and clicks into the front, by way of the underarm.

And I'm still confused about this Y strap?

Help?
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lot's here posted about proper adjustment of the CP to protect the collar bone. I notice being failed to mention is proper stance. I have noticed many umpires who are now using the Jerry Davis stance bending over too much at the waist thus exposing the upper edge of the clavicle. When used properly and adjusted correctly most upper end CP's do a great job of protecting you IF your stance is correct. When you get in your set position, tuck the hips underneath. This will place your torso in a more upright position and provide better protection.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ozzy - you bring up a good point about the WV riding up as you come to your stance. But still, it should cover my collarbone ALL the time.

I understand a properly adjusted WV will cover this area, but I can't tighten the straps that give you a smaller "head hole" anymore. I mean the straps that run right over the shoulders. Is this the "horizontal strap" you are talking about Bob? Or are you refering to the one that raps around and clicks into the front, by way of the underarm.

And I'm still confused about this Y strap?

Help?
The "horizontal strap" runs parallel to the wasit -- it's the one that hooks into each side of the chest protector.

The Y strap runs vertically from the horizontal strap (the horizontal strap runs "through" the base of the Y strap) and the "arms" of the Y then run to the shoulders of the chest protector.

If the arms of the Y strap are as tight as they can be, then shorten the vertical portion of the Y strap.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
My equipment is more than adequate, thank you.
Really? 'Cause mine protects both my collarbone and my sternum. What the heck are you wearing?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

thats the point why the FUSS over the raft when you keep sayin your inside protecter is fine??

curous minds wanna know!! hehehe
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
thats the point why the FUSS over the raft when you keep sayin your inside protecter is fine??

curous minds wanna know!! hehehe

Ya do, Hmmmmmm????

Well, I'll let you know. Sometimes when I watch the vintage baseball footage from the '70s, I tend to ask myself "why the switchover?" And you folks reminded me why. Tanx.
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 12:57am

Oh, by all means bring back the raft. And the red movie usher blazers and white turtlenecks too. Let's call outs by quickly shooting our right thumb straight into the air the second the ball hits the glove.

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

I missed the sarcasm. Welcome back.