The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 11, 2007, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how reliable this is, but it's something...

http://www.mlb4u.com/leagueinfo.php

Quote:
Postseason umpires are chosen on the basis of their performance during the regular season. The 2005 selections were made during a two-day meeting in which all seven supervisors participated. The committee considered 10 criteria for each umpire: Strike-zone performance , Situation management, Experience, Plays handled, Missed calls, Overall umpiring knowledge , Pace of game, Mobility, In-season supervisor comments, Hustle/focus/demeanor. Frank Pulli is the sole umpire supervisor who evaluates umpires' ball-strike calls, reviewing QuesTec discs of each plate performance. He is only permitted to make adjustments on questionable pitches on the edge of the zone, and can only add to an umpire's score, not subtract from it.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I thought that the new system rotates all MLB umps through the playoffs. Not a merit-based assignment any longer.
The old system did as you suggested. The new system has a strong component of merit. You have them switched.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
The old system did as you suggested. The new system has a strong component of merit. You have them switched.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad they're moving in the right direction.

Next step: after every season, take the worst 3 MLB umps and demote them to AAA (or retire them), and take the best 3 AAA umps and promote them to MLB.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
I see it is a big deal for you.

Angel Hernandez's accomplishments as a professional umpire are a matter of record.

Please let us know when you get your World Series assignment.

Ergo all MLB umps have perfect mechanics, perfect judgement, perfect discernment and are therefore worthy of emulation in everything they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
And I confess to having fiddled with lineup cards several times during live ball action.

I feel better knowing that the best of the best do it, too.
If it's the right thing to do then no confession is needed.
You are implying it's the right way to manage the game and your paperwork aren't you?
The next time an evaluator asks you why you're doing paperwork during live ball action, I'm sure he'll give you bonus points once you tell him Angel does it too.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 02:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Ergo all MLB umps have perfect mechanics, perfect judgement, perfect discernment and are therefore worthy of emulation in everything they do.

Quote:
If it's the right thing to do then no confession is needed.
You are implying it's the right way to manage the game and your paperwork aren't you?
The next time an evaluator asks you why you're doing paperwork during live ball action, I'm sure he'll give you bonus points once you tell him Angel does it too.
Wait a minute. You are the same person that claimed there was nothing wrong with brushing off a bag with a plate brush. Now this is a problem? The very same reason looking at your paperwork during live ball play is the same reason you do not brush the base off with a plate brush. Now the reason we see a lot of things at the ML level that a good umpire at the amateur level would never do is because no one is going to fire them for something like this. For all you know he might have been talked to about this. But the Major League Umpire Union is one of the strongest in pro sports and this is why they keep guys around that have clearly lost their fast ball or do not keep up with standards that got them there. But if a D1 umpire was doing this on TV, it is very possible that he might not only get talked to, he might be downgraded which could lead to less assignments and ultimately being fired.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

thank you mr Rutlege for pointing this out
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Wait a minute. You are the same person that claimed there was nothing wrong with brushing off a bag with a plate brush. Now this is a problem? The very same reason looking at your paperwork during live ball play is the same reason you do not brush the base off with a plate brush.
As distasteful as brushing a bag between innings may be to you, it does not equate to the possible problems created by doing paperwork during live ball action.
I agree that both violate the unwritten umpire code of behavior, but one has possible on field consequences while the other does not.

Quote:
Now the reason we see a lot of things at the ML level that a good umpire at the amateur level would never do is because no one is going to fire them for something like this. For all you know he might have been talked to about this. But the Major League Umpire Union is one of the strongest in pro sports and this is why they keep guys around that have clearly lost their fast ball or do not keep up with standards that got them there. But if a D1 umpire was doing this on TV, it is very possible that he might not only get talked to, he might be downgraded which could lead to less assignments and ultimately being fired.

Peace
So we're in agreement
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
As distasteful as brushing a bag between innings may be to you, it does not equate to the possible problems created by doing paperwork during live ball action.
I agree that both violate the unwritten umpire code of behavior, but one has possible on field consequences while the other does not.
I think both look stupid. I did not see what was described, but your same justification for what you feel looks dumb is the very same reason I think brushing a base off (which you can easily see with dirt on it BTW) and using a object that is designed only for the plate (hence the name "plate brush").

Quote:
So we're in agreement
Actually I do not think we are at all. Keep thinking we agree if it makes you happy.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think both look stupid. I did not see what was described, but your same justification for what you feel looks dumb is the very same reason I think brushing a base off (which you can easily see with dirt on it BTW)
I don't remember saying it looks dumb, in fact looks has nothing to do with it. Doing paperwork during live ball action can only lead to problems. It's a practical issue. Much like brushing the base the one and only time in my life I did it was a practical issue.

Quote:
Actually I do not think we are at all. Keep thinking we agree if it makes you happy.
Peace
I didn't ask you to jump in on this you did it on your own accord. Now that you have, despite how it's going to taint your rep by agreeing with me the facts are the facts jack.

If you think doing paperwork during live ball action is wrong then we agree. You made your opinion on that clear in a previous post.
And yes I'm ecstatic!!
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 03:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't remember saying it looks dumb, in fact looks has nothing to do with it. Doing paperwork during live ball action can only lead to problems. It's a practical issue. Much like brushing the base the one and only time in my life I did it was a practical issue.
Don, do you actually read what people say? I did not comment about what you said. I am saying it looks stupid for both actions. If you want to write down something you hold up the game and get your information together. I think brushing off a base looks stupid because it is not practical. The bases are surrounded by dirt. You are not going to be able to dust off every piece of dirt surrounding the base. And if you dust off the dirt one time, you will be doing it constantly. It is not necessary to dust off a base (with a plate brush) as it is not necessary to look at a lineup card while the game is going on. They both look stupid and both are not practical. And I am the one saying this, not you.

Quote:
I didn't ask you to jump in on this you did it on your own accord. Now that you have, despite how it's going to taint your rep by agreeing with me the facts are the facts jack.
I just wanted to point out a complete contradiction on your part. At least I am consistent. I think both look stupid and both can affect how you are evaluated. You cannot understand why someone might feel both look dumb and you do not understand in at least one of the cases why brushing off the base might have similar consequences.

Quote:
If you think doing paperwork during live ball action is wrong then we agree. You made your opinion on that clear in a previous post.
And yes I'm ecstatic!!
Good for you.

Peace
Closed Thread