The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Angel Hernandez new low...

Angel uses a modified GD with his hands tucked under his crotch and his elbows on his thighs. Watching the Yankees/Toronto game I saw a pitch that Angel called a ball, then rose, and I swear I saw the lineup card in his hands. It was confirmed when he then looked at the card. Next pitch, did the same thing...

I know its nitpicking, but giving away coaches hats, etc., MLB has to find a way to keep some of these guys in line. For the most part its self policed among the umpires but Angel takes some things to new levels.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:10am

Hernandez, and other lesser quality MLB umpires are still head and shoulders above you or me. He earned his way into the majors, despite what has been deleted in this thread. He, and other MLB umpires paid their dues in the minors, and are still better than the rest.

I sure would hate to be "kept in line." Sounds military to me, and baseball ain't the military.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
We can suppose all day long.
I suppose F2 says, "they change the lineup, Blue?"
PU checks between pitches.

Something else?

Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Hernandez, and other lesser quality MLB umpires are still head and shoulders above you or me. He earned his way into the majors, despite what has been deleted in this thread. He, and other MLB umpires paid their dues in the minors, and are still better than the rest.

I sure would hate to be "kept in line." Sounds military to me, and baseball ain't the military.
Well, I never did say I or anyone else not an MLB Umpire was better than Angel. I just posted what I've heard and what seems to be "well-known" among umpire circles. However, it's since been deleted by the P.C. Police.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
We can suppose all day long.
I suppose F2 says, "they change the lineup, Blue?"
PU checks between pitches.

Something else?

I can guarantee that no Big League catcher would ever call an umpire "Blue"
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

We can all post what we want about Angel. However, I know for a fact several AAA reserve umpires look up to him quite a bit and regard him as one of the MLB umpires who truly wants to help younger umpires and does not feel threatened by them. In fact, I know one that has used the word "mentor" to describe him.

Second, MLB doesn't agree with the evaluations of Angel that most of us internet umpires have posted...as reflected by the number of post-season assignments he has received. Simply put...he's one of the best Ques-Tec umpires in MLB.

You all can post on and on about "being a great Ques-Tec umpire doesn't make you a great umpire" and on and on. However, being a great Ques-Tec umpire means a hell of a lot to the MLB front office, period. Every pro umpire knows it. I know how much some AAA reserve umpires sweat before a plate game in a Ques-Tec park: They know its a big evaluation!

Since 2000 he has worked: 2 Division Series; 4 LCS; and 2 World Series. Someone thinks he's doing a pretty good job.

Last edited by lawump; Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 01:45pm.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

help a old codger out here--WHY is ti a crime to look at a lineup card??
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
help a old codger out here--WHY is ti a crime to look at a lineup card??
Some umpires think it's smittyish to look at your indicator more than once an inning. He (according to the OP) looked at a lineup card twice in one batter.

1. It seems odd that he would be holding a lineup card in hand during live ball action.
2. Even more odd to be looking at it between pitches.

If it had info needed pertinent to the situation then call time and get the issue straightened out. If not, then leave it in your pocket and get the rookies autograph between innings.
A crime? no
Something to emulate? certainly not.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
No, he'd use his name, "Angel". My bad.

Useless........
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
Some umpires think it's smittyish to look at your indicator more than once an inning. He (according to the OP) looked at a lineup card twice in one batter.

1. It seems odd that he would be holding a lineup card in hand during live ball action.
2. Even more odd to be looking at it between pitches.

If it had info needed pertinent to the situation then call time and get the issue straightened out. If not, then leave it in your pocket and get the rookies autograph between innings.
A crime? no
Something to emulate? certainly not.
thank you don thats helpful info (serious, no joke here). I see that lookin at a card was a big deal..,,its a new prespective for me.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 08:05pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Javy Lopez not count?
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Angel uses a modified GD with his hands tucked under his crotch and his elbows on his thighs. Watching the Yankees/Toronto game I saw a pitch that Angel called a ball, then rose, and I swear I saw the lineup card in his hands. It was confirmed when he then looked at the card. Next pitch, did the same thing...

I know its nitpicking, but giving away coaches hats, etc., MLB has to find a way to keep some of these guys in line. For the most part its self policed among the umpires but Angel takes some things to new levels.
what game and what inning in this series did this happen.
The game can be researched on MLB and I would like to be able to view it and see if what you say happened, happened.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Javy Lopez not count?

What are you trying to say?
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
what game and what inning in this series did this happen.
The game can be researched on MLB and I would like to be able to view it and see if what you say happened, happened.
I saw this. It was late in Tuesday's game, maybe the 8th inning? Certainly after Clemens was ejected because I tuned in just after that.

The description was accurate. A batter was at the plate, Hernandez had the lineup card in his hand. He looked at it after the first pitch, then again after the second and finally he put it away and took his indicator out his pocket. Only umpires probably noticed anyhting strange about that.

As a sidenote, Hernandez seems to be questionned more than most umpires. For example, there were a few strike calls that were on the corner and probably nothing would have been said if Tim McLelland had called them strikes. But when Angel is in umpiring, it seems you get more grumbling about calls that are borderline. My two cents.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 11:47am

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R
As a sidenote, Hernandez seems to be questionned more than most umpires. For example, there were a few strike calls that were on the corner and probably nothing would have been said if Tim McLelland had called them strikes. But when Angel is in umpiring, it seems you get more grumbling about calls that are borderline. My two cents.
Again this is very strange, as Ques-Tec proves Hernandez to be one of the very best ball and strike umpires in the league.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread