The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
HOF finally realized....

That the way the Veterans Committee was recently set up was not working! They finally realized the HOFers on the committee were NOT doing their job! The HOF brain trust have FINALLY separated the owners and umpires from the players - there will be a special committee of writers and 'experts' who will meet every other year to consider umpires, owners, and other non-players. This will start next year, so maybe...just MAYBE....Doug Harvey will get that which is so long overdue...any other umps you would like to see in Cooperstown?
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Bruce Froemming and Bill Haller.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Joe Brinkman
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
That the way the Veterans Committee was recently set up was not working! They finally realized the HOFers on the committee were NOT doing their job! The HOF brain trust have FINALLY separated the owners and umpires from the players - there will be a special committee of writers and 'experts' who will meet every other year to consider umpires, owners, and other non-players. This will start next year, so maybe...just MAYBE....Doug Harvey will get that which is so long overdue...any other umps you would like to see in Cooperstown?
Ron Luciano and Larry Barnett
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 12:14am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Ron Luciano
Not after he made an a$$ of us acting like the Clown King.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Hello, pot to kettle.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Acouple if interesting points about the new changes:

1.They lumped the umpires and managers as separate group - a strange pairing indeed!

2. They are making the Executives a separate group, and changing the eligibility
rules also -it has taken them 75 years to figure out owners and executives usually only 'retire' from the game when they DIE - now there seems to be no minimum 'waiting period' - time to put in (as much as folks hate him) Steinbrenner for petes sake!

3 It is obvious that the HOF is looking ahead to the next few years - aside from Rickey Henderson in 2009, there are very very few 1st ballot HOF'ers coming up for eligibility in the next several years.

Notice that the ceremonies had their biggest turnout ever - over 50,000 people jammed Cooperstown yesterday for Gwynn/Ripken - those Baltimore folks area VERY loyal group! I believe the previous record was for...Brooks Robinson.

I think Brinkman would be a very good choice in the future...also Haller - there was NObody more respected than Haller in the AL....

Froemming will be an interesting one - do you reward sheer longevity?

If it wasn't for the 'resigning' thing, Jim Evans would be right up there too...

But lets get Harvey in there first!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Ironic that Cal Ripken's HOF Induction Ceremony contributed to the end of another O's 'Ironman' streak. Cal invited Ernie Tyler to be his guest at the HOF this weekend. Tyler is the umpires attendant for the Orioles and had not missed an O's home game since he was hired in 1960.

The O's requested that they be scheduled an away game on the date of Cal's induction into the HOF but the request was not honored.

Link to story
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

big deal about as useful on THIS forum as another where are the MLB UMPIRES today? thread

who cares
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Ironic that Cal Ripken's HOF Induction Ceremony contributed to the end of another O's 'Ironman' streak. Cal invited Ernie Tyler to be his guest at the HOF this weekend. Tyler is the umpires attendant for the Orioles and had not missed an O's home game since he was hired in 1960.

The O's requested that they be scheduled an away game on the date of Cal's induction into the HOF but the request was not honored.

Link to story
I met Mr. Tyler at Joe's umpire school in the late 1990's. He was dropping off his grandson who was my roommate...until he quit school 2 weeks into it.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Acouple if interesting points about the new changes:

1.They lumped the umpires and managers as separate group - a strange pairing indeed!

2. They are making the Executives a separate group, and changing the eligibility
rules also -it has taken them 75 years to figure out owners and executives usually only 'retire' from the game when they DIE - now there seems to be no minimum 'waiting period' - time to put in (as much as folks hate him) Steinbrenner for petes sake!

3 It is obvious that the HOF is looking ahead to the next few years - aside from Rickey Henderson in 2009, there are very very few 1st ballot HOF'ers coming up for eligibility in the next several years.

Notice that the ceremonies had their biggest turnout ever - over 50,000 people jammed Cooperstown yesterday for Gwynn/Ripken - those Baltimore folks area VERY loyal group! I believe the previous record was for...Brooks Robinson.

I think Brinkman would be a very good choice in the future...also Haller - there was NObody more respected than Haller in the AL....

Froemming will be an interesting one - do you reward sheer longevity?

If it wasn't for the 'resigning' thing, Jim Evans would be right up there too...

But lets get Harvey in there first!
Not by Earl Weaver, but then again Weaver never respected umpires period!
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 03:28pm

I heard it reported that over 70,000 jammed in there, and there was quite a large contingent that came in from San Diego as well to honor "Mr. Padre."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Mr. Padre??? The guy with the big head? Oh, wait...that's Mr. Met.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 07:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The guy with the big head? Oh, wait...that's Mr. Met.
Big head? Nope, that must be Barry Bonds....a.k.a. Mr. PotatoHead.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:25am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
Hello, pot to kettle.
Make sure you vote against me then.