The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 01:28am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by fitump56
You need to reread my post. Read Orwell, protested the Vietnam War, you're preaching to the wrong guy. BUT, that does not mean that BB is always evil, e.g. seat belts, environmentals, pollution......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
I suggest you reread 1984. Big Brother is nothing but evil incarnate. But you have to understand, I would never have protested the Vietnam war, except maybe the limited way in which it was fought.
Orwell was fun reading in 1975. You won't find many who wish the decentralization of gov't than I do. I protested the Vietnam War because it was a slaughterground which had no real purpose. As we can plainly see today.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 01:30am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I heard briefly on the radio yesterday that the autopsy showed the cause of death as being a crushed artery in the neck. Does this mean that a helmet wouldn't have protected him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
In all likelihood, yes.
Tough to say, Mark. Would he have been better protected w/ a helmet? Absolutely.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 03:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Tim, you make a great point. I look at people who want to do away with aluminum bats due to isolated tragedies. What happens to baseball when someone gets struck or impaled by a broken wood bat. Where does the game go from there?
I tell ya, we are simply going to have to put a stop to this baseball nonsense. The game must be banned for our own protection. Why, someone could get hurt, or even killed. I say we do away with baseball once and for all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I heard briefly on the radio yesterday that the autopsy showed the cause of death as being a crushed artery in the neck. Does this mean that a helmet wouldn't have protected him?

Tough to say, Mark. Would he have been better protected w/ a helmet? Absolutely.
It's not tough to say at all. A neck injury is not prevented by a batting helmet. So no, he would not have been better protected against this injury by a helmet.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
He means overall. He would've been better protected overall with a helmet than sans helmet.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

So, for everyone's protection, everyone on the field will now be required to dress like this:
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
What happens to baseball when someone gets struck or impaled by a broken wood bat.
I believe you invent a device to protect body part that was injured. In some areas this device is called a "Yeager".
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
He means overall. He would've been better protected overall with a helmet than sans helmet.
No he wouldn't have been better protected. He would have been more protected but more and better are different things.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:47pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFump
That is correct. But let's examine what is now being reported.

"a burst or crushed blood vessel stopped blood flow to his brain"....a burst vessel does not have to be a direct strike to the neck (artery = to brain, vein = away from brain; "vessel" = either) either of those could well have been in areas where the helmet would have protected.

None of this discussion makes any hill of beans in the end result of things. The insurance companies dictate the desired protection rules.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Wow!!! That's all I can say. I make a post that is just a tiny bit inflammatory and "bzzzzztttt!!" deleted (or edited) within two minutes. I just don't know if I'll be able to get over this. I may have to go and see a therapist and get some meds. Any suggestions on brand and dosage? Tyler? fitump56?? ozzy???
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
No he wouldn't have been better protected. He would have been more protected but more and better are different things.
Have to disagree. In this case (helmet or no helmet) more and better are the same.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

should BASE coache's be required to wear HOCKEY style helmets?
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is effin scary. I saw just this weekend an ump take a 85 mph fastball right off the carotid artery. Apparently catcher called for a curve. That is not what was thrown. Ump stayed in there like we are taught to do and somehow the ball got in between his chest protector and face mask and got all meat. Dropped him like a sack of potatoes. You could see the contour of the skin go bumpy where he got hit.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:17am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzUmp
This is effin scary. I saw just this weekend an ump take a 85 mph fastball right off the carotid artery. Apparently catcher called for a curve. That is not what was thrown. Ump stayed in there like we are taught to do and somehow the ball got in between his chest protector and face mask and got all meat. Dropped him like a sack of potatoes. You could see the contour of the skin go bumpy where he got hit.
In the case of this umpire, the first though I had was that an HSM much better covers that area.

The face mask vs the HSM safety (non)issue is about as arguable as putting your hands on the dashboard vs seat/shoulder harnesses in a high speed crash.