The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Actually, Ria is the top ranked umpire in AA ball; currently assigned to the Southern League. In addition to umpiring the Futures Game in Pittsburgh last year, she was a Spring Training umpire for MLB this past Spring.

She is also the only female currently working in the Minors; which is the very reason why she would be a prime candidate to replace Froemming. There's also an expected 6-8 umpires that would be retiring within the next 5-10 years.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Ria in the Majors within the next several years.

Jerry
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Cortesio is in AA and has no chance of replacing Froemming. She hasn't even done a fill-in replacement job in the Majors, so why would she be considered for a permanent position.
Like I said, I may be wrong and apparently I was. Though if my memory serves me right there was an article on Ria where she discussed the possibilities of her suing MLB if she was released without being given a shot at the show. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm a big enough man to admit it when I am.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

By Ria's own account, she knows that she'll move up to AAA as soon as an opening occurs. From there, she'll be scouted by MLB and, if all works well, could be selected to be a fill in for regular season games in a year or two. From that point, it's only a matter of time that she'd be selected to work full-time for MLB. Her best-case scenario, puts all of that happening in 2009 at the earliest.

She's only 30 years old; so she still has a couple of years to get the experience that she needs.

Jerry
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

BTW...as of last week I was told that no one will be "replacing" Froemming. MLB has 70 permanent umpires. They desire to go back down to 68. Basically, three MLB guys need to retire in order for a AAA umpire to be promoted to the permanent staff.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Although umpiring is "baseball's narrowest door," I feel that it is wrong to discourage anyone from pursuing their dream by focusing on negatives such as artificial, man-made barriers such as age, sex, and race. I say "GO FOR IT" and don't look back. I listened to negative garbage, and decided against going to pro school, and have had to live with that regret. If you commit to doing the necessary things to succeed, you have a chance, no matter how slim the odds.

I went to JEAPU at the young age of 48. I'm glad I went. If you truly want to umpire at any level...GO!! In the midpoint interviews, I was asked if I would accept a job if offered. I would be lying if I didn't have that goal in the back of my mind when I signed up, however I told them no, I wouldn't accept a position if offered. My main goal is and was college ball Why, because reality told me I could have possibly (and I say possibly cautiously) made it into PBUC, I was doing very well at school. I worked my butt off and it showed. To spend 12 or more years in Milb, and if I was good enough, to make it into the show, I would'nt be able to put in the time MLB would want an umpire to work. Reality, I was too old and knew it. But I did well at school, learned a great deal, only to find out, that what I learned in school doesn't work in high school ball according to my assignor. Depth perception runs very deep here and my nose is and will remain clean!!
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

While I seldom agree with Mr. Kaufman the people that I speak with at minor league levels have told me the exact same review of Rita.

I was also told that it was her base work that held back significantly.

This has been a very difficult year for A and AA umpires. Several have all ready "self-released" themselves after reviews.

It is the nature of the profession.

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

During my time in school, it was truly inspiring watching some of the kids work. They truly stood out, mostly second year attendees, they were fun to watch. I make my mistakes, and know it immediatly, the "Man in the Mirror" holds true for me every day.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
The reason I didn't go for it in my life wasn't as much the astronomical odds of actually making it to the MLB level, but the years of hellish existence one must endure on the road to The Show. Driving from city to city, living out of your car, considering ratty motels to be a luxury, and having nothing in the way of savings left at the end of a season isn't my idea of a career path.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I may be wrong, but I thought Ria moved up to AAA this season and has a solid chance at replacing Froemming next year.

Tim.
Tim,

Sorry big guy - your waaaaayyyy off on this one!

Ria is still in AA. She is next up on the list for the next AAA slot.

So far as MLB openings, let us not forget there are two full-time umpires currently carried as "Rovers" (Hallion & Hickox).

The way it works is a AAA umpire works 1-2 years with good reviews, then is invited to MLB spring training. If they do well there then are invited to AZ fall league. If that goes well they get a shot at regular season MLB fill-in.

My understanding is every AAA crew has at least one umpire that has at least gone to MLB spring and are available for an emergency call up. the regular fill-in's and two rovers handle vacation and long term (Injury, etc) fill-in spots.

I suspect Ria will get to AAA this year, or next spring at latest. Don't forget she had a serious injury and missed several weeks last year & likely needs much of this year in AA to catch up.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
The reason I didn't go for it in my life wasn't as much the astronomical odds of actually making it to the MLB level, but the years of hellish existence one must endure on the road to The Show. Driving from city to city, living out of your car, considering ratty motels to be a luxury, and having nothing in the way of savings left at the end of a season isn't my idea of a career path.
One has a far better shot of getting into a D1 conference than making AAA. D1 umpires make more $$ for less work & far less BS too.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I may be wrong, but I thought Ria moved up to AAA this season and has a solid chance at replacing Froemming next year.

Tim.
My info was as of 2006. It's all I could find at 5AM
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 05:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What are the chances that MLB is the 2nd major pro sport to have a female working as an ajudicator?
  • NBA = Violet Palmer
  • MLB = all male
  • CFL = all male
  • NFL = all male
  • NHL = all male
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:54pm
Veteran College Umpire

I was 34 when I went to Harry's school. He said, "We'll hire you but you'll die in Minor League baseball." I said thanks, went home, and called every college within 100 miles of home. They all gave me a look if I was willing to do a Fall scrimmage (for free), and the following year I did three Bg Ten weekends (yes, I was very surprised - I'd hoped for a couple of non-conference dates). Since then I've literally been all over the world - this month USA Baseball is sending me to a tournament in Venezulea - and have reached about the highest level an amateur umpire can attain - a full D1 schedule with post-season tournaments.
Was it worth going to umpire school at age 34? Oh, yeah. It's been my whole life. Go for it!

A very grateful
JJ
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:36pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I was 34 when I went to Harry's school. He said, "We'll hire you but you'll die in Minor League baseball." I said thanks, went home,
At least he was honest and funny.

Quote:

and called every college within 100 miles of home. They all gave me a look if I was willing to do a Fall scrimmage (for free), and the following year I did three Bg Ten weekends (yes, I was very surprised - I'd hoped for a couple of non-conference dates). Since then I've literally been all over the world - this month USA Baseball is sending me to a tournament in Venezulea - and have reached about the highest level an amateur umpire can attain - a full D1 schedule with post-season tournaments.
Was it worth going to umpire school at age 34? Oh, yeah. It's been my whole life. Go for it!

A very grateful
JJ
Great experience. Gee, how things would have been different if Harry had not put you straight.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:39pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What are the chances that MLB is the 2nd major pro sport to have a female working as an ajudicator?
  • NBA = Violet Palmer
  • MLB = all male
  • CFL = all male
  • NFL = all male
  • NHL = all male
Hmm, and Palmer is superb IMO. Yep, mostly an all Boys Club. I sure hope she isn't part of the upcoming NBA gaming scandal.