The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 10:15pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs down A Primer For Going Pro

By Pro, I mean MLB. Forget it, it aint' happening. Do the math. X spots with Y MiLB guys tryig to get there.

X = extremely few

Y = hundreds

Now, getting to MiLB is another thing.

X = a few spots

Y= hundreds

Things that are against you:

Age (over 25ish)
Race - the majority of umps are white.
Sex - females need not apply
Sexual persuasion - no comment, the post will be deleted.
Money - Better have some
Marriage - Nope, best not until later

Reality is a beach…with no shade.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

I wonder if Ria Cortesio would agree.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I wonder if Ria Cortesio would agree.
or Pam Postema. Or Art Williams. Or Charlie Williams. Or Emmitt Ashford. Or C.B. Bucknor. Or Eric Gregg. Or Chuck Merriweather. Or Kerwin Danley. Or Laz Diaz. Or Rich Garcia. Or Angel Hernandez. Or the over-30 year olds that get minor league jobs because they are good. Or all the married guys that get minor league jobs because they are good. Or. . . . . .
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

35 is the oldest I know of that went on to PBUC however I don't know if he got a job in MiLB.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:44am

Although umpiring is "baseball's narrowest door," I feel that it is wrong to discourage anyone from pursuing their dream by focusing on negatives such as artificial, man-made barriers such as age, sex, and race. I say "GO FOR IT" and don't look back. I listened to negative garbage, and decided against going to pro school, and have had to live with that regret. If you commit to doing the necessary things to succeed, you have a chance, no matter how slim the odds.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

A few weeks in Florida in January immersed in baseball and great learning is tempting when buried in snow, chance at a pro job or not.

What's next? "You suck too much for LL ball?"
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:13am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
or Pam Postema. Or Art Williams. Or Charlie Williams. Or Emmitt Ashford. Or C.B. Bucknor. Or Eric Gregg. Or Chuck Merriweather. Or Kerwin Danley. Or Laz Diaz. Or Rich Garcia. Or Angel Hernandez. Or the over-30 year olds that get minor league jobs because they are good. Or all the married guys that get minor league jobs because they are good. Or. . . . . .
...Or these are females? Learn something new everyday.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:14am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
A few weeks in Florida in January immersed in baseball and great learning is tempting when buried in snow, chance at a pro job or not.
Note the part you didn't quote about "Better have money"
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:23am
In Time Out

Quote:
Although umpiring is "baseball's narrowest door," I feel that it is wrong to discourage anyone from pursuing their dream by focusing on negatives such as artificial, man-made barriers such as age, sex, and race. I say "GO FOR IT"
Sigh Nowhere did I say not to goferit. I simply made a post regarding the REALITIES of making it to the pros.

Quote:

and don't look back. I listened to negative garbage, and decided against going to pro school, and have had to live with that regret.
Let's put this into focus. Married at the time? Children? Willing to live on less pay than will meet your annual bills? Off season, more temp jobs, no security, who knows if you are going to be back? Pro umpiring is a temp job. Now ypou got two. Or three. Or more.

If not, batchelor days, do what you want with them.

Quote:
If you commit to doing the necessary things to succeed, you have a chance, no matter how slim the odds.
A blind pig has a chance to find an acorn too. He's damn well committed, he's a hungry pig. And he is always starving to death.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:24am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
35 is the oldest I know of that went on to PBUC however I don't know if he got a job in MiLB.
35? No kidding, that has to be the top age. Best of luck to whomever.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:26am
In Time Out

Quote:
or Pam Postema.
Anyone know of a MiLB umpire who is female?
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Note the part you didn't quote about "Better have money"
Well, you know, we do! Because all us umpires are in it for the money, right?

And for female MiLB umpires, I give you Ria Cortesio. Top ranked AA umpire according to their rankings. Worked the Futures Game and the HR Derby last year.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

Last edited by DonInKansas; Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 05:28am.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By Pro, I mean MLB. Forget it, it aint' happening. Do the math. X spots with Y MiLB guys tryig to get there.

X = extremely few

Y = hundreds

Now, getting to MiLB is another thing.

X = a few spots

Y= hundreds

Things that are against you:

Age (over 25ish)
Race - the majority of umps are white.
Sexual persuasion - no comment, the post will be deleted.
Money - Better have some
Marriage - Nope, best not until later

Reality is a beach…with no shade.
I agree that very few who attempt this career make it. And, those who are thinking about attempting it should know that.

I don't think that race or sexual persuasion enter into PBUC's decision at all. Sex and age probably do a little.

Money and marriage don't affect PBUC's decision, but might affect the umpire's willingness to stick it out over the long haul.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Well, you know, we do! Because all us umpires are in it for the money, right?

And for female MiLB umpires, I give you Ria Cortesio. Top ranked AA umpire according to their rankings. Worked the Futures Game and the HR Derby last year.
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp
I may be wrong, but I thought Ria moved up to AAA this season and has a solid chance at replacing Froemming next year.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:45am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I may be wrong, but I thought Ria moved up to AAA this season and has a solid chance at replacing Froemming next year.

Tim.
Cortesio is in AA and has no chance of replacing Froemming. She hasn't even done a fill-in replacement job in the Majors, so why would she be considered for a permanent position.