The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Sending a runner back

R1 at 1B. Batter hits a ground ball to F6, who flips to F4. F4 never possesses the ball on the base and BU calls him safe. F4 throws to F3 (bang bang play) BU points to me and says, "What do you have?" I did not expect this at all, because BU was not asking about F3's foot on or off the bag, but was looking for me to make the call from a few feet in front of the plate. I banged him out!

While all of this was going on, the runner takes off from 2B to 3B. BU sends him back because when he asked for help the ball was assumed dead!

Any comments????
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Bad. Bad. Bad.

BU should have asked you a specific question if he needed help; i.e. - Did he have his foot on the bag? When asked, "What do you have?" you should have reached in your pocket, checked it's contents and answered, "36 cents".

But seriously, when my partner did this to me recently I answered by telling him that it was his call. Secondly, the ball is still live. The runner should not have been returned to second base.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Bad. Bad. Bad.

BU should have asked you a specific question if he needed help; i.e. - Did he have his foot on the bag? When asked, "What do you have?" you should have reached in your pocket, checked it's contents and answered, "36 cents".

But seriously, when my partner did this to me recently I answered by telling him that it was his call. Secondly, the ball is still live. The runner should not have been returned to second base.
Ironically, this happened at Randolph HS today!
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Ironically, this happened at Randolph HS today!
I give up -- why is this ironic?
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I give up -- why is this ironic?
waltjp is from Randolph, NJ!
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
waltjp is from Randolph, NJ!
It wasn't me. I swear. I had a game elsewhere in the state.

Who was playing at Randolph?
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasn't me. I swear. I had a game elsewhere in the state.

Who was playing at Randolph?
No, it wasn't you. I just saw you're from Randolph. State 13 / 14 tournament is being hosted by Randolph (Freedom and HS).
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 10:02pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
R1 at 1B. Batter hits a ground ball to F6, who flips to F4. F4 never possesses the ball on the base and BU calls him safe. F4 throws to F3 (bang bang play) BU points to me and says, "What do you have?" I did not expect this at all, because BU was not asking about F3's foot on or off the bag, but was looking for me to make the call from a few feet in front of the plate. I banged him out!

While all of this was going on, the runner takes off from 2B to 3B. BU sends him back because when he asked for help the ball was assumed dead!

Any comments????
If at all possible, don't ever umpire with him again.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 12:53am

Quote:
Bad. Bad. Bad.

I have related a similar story. When asked, I told the BU "I have the plate." What is with people asking "whaddya got?" Weren't they taught better than that? If you can't ask for specific information that calls for a "yes or no" answer, then don't ask to be bailed out of your responsibility. Make a call and live with it, don't pass the buck.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

With an R1, shouldn't the PU be heading up the line toward 3rd to be prepared to watch R1 after BU's call at 2nd? If "out", you should be watching for interference; if "safe", you need to be prepared to cover 3rd in case R1 continues to run. As described, the play at 1st should be the BU's entirely.
Jerry
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
With an R1, shouldn't the PU be heading up the line toward 3rd to be prepared to watch R1 after BU's call at 2nd?
It depends on the mechanics being used.