The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:13am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
the day a RUNNER cant figure out when Pitch gets on the RUBBER is the day he needs to QUIT! any RUNNER over 6 years OLD can tell that
Not if he can't see the rubber.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:14am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I totally agree with this. I detest seeing the term "smitty".

I prefer "weaker umpire".
Or doofus?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Or how about the guy that calls it the backstop meeting instead of plate conference.
Steven, that's a painful memory. Having called the coaches to the backstop in my newbie year.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:19am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have another one for you.

Telling the pitcher the situation is something I see often ("1 ball and 2 strikes with a runner on 1st and 3rd").

I think when guys are never taught about what to do, guys get attached to things they find a purpose for. There are guys that are convinced if they do not brush off the pitcher's plate or bases, they just cannot see the play.

Peace
Brushing off the pitcher's rubber is most often for the umpire to be able to determine when he actually mounts the rubber. Perhaps the MiLB umps I see doing this, on much more pristine fields, are also untaught.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 01:25am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I need to ask what I fear many will consider a stupid question:

What is the etymology of Smitty?
It's a degrading term used by those umpires who wish to make fun of brother sports officials, and by doing so believe it elevates themselves, a shallow word aimed at umpires who do not meet some moving target of "professionalism".

One thing is for certain. It labels the user of the term, usually an experienced umpire who ought to know better than to treat another Blue in such a despicable way, as a full time hypocrite.

Last edited by fitump56; Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 11:15pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

There are at least 241 Smittyisms on this board as of this time.

Linkage
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I find the word "Smitty" like any perjorative term. It's an attempt to lower another person's public image in order to raise your own. Worse than "rat", these are our brothers in Blue you try to demean.

Like digging a hole then shoving a person into it, then proclaiming how "tall" you are. It's total BS.

As I have said before, using terms which degrade others only, in the end, degrades the user.

Fitty, consider yourself 'degraded', you 'dufus'......Just kidding, don't lose your sense of humor!!!!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

But where does the term come from? Was there some umpire named Smitty?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's a slang term for anyone foolish or dumb.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
greymule,

I am not 100% certain, but I believe the term was coined by Carl Childress in an article he wrote concerning umpires who exhibit traits now commonly associated with "Smitties".

JM
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
There isn't enuff bandwidth here to include all Smitty stuff.

Some cherce Smittyisms (all first-hand)

"STRIKE ON A SWING"

[Between innings, F2 needs to adjust mask before first pitch] "TIME!" (at Boeing decibel level)

"FOUL TIP!!!!"

"He gets the base he's goin' to, plus one."

"One base to all runners on throws from the infield."

[on obvious INT on batted ball by 1B coach] "No interference; he wuz tryin' to get out da way!"

"Why buy base pants?"

No comment neeeded: Base ump with ball bag including brush, eyeglass case, AND a small can of Off

[U3 goes out into LF for catch; R3 tags up from 3B and scores; defense appeals; U3 calls "SAFE". After the game, I asked U3 how he could possibly call a tag-up when he was fairly deep into the outfield]: "The ball was hit deep; he was gonna score anyway."

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is truly king.

Ace
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

"I have a challenge for you. Just show one reference (just one) where it says our job is to use a "plate brush" for sweeping off the plate?"
Peace

For #666:

The Boston Globe had a September 28, 2005 interview with MLB umpire crew of Joe West, Brian Gorman, Mike DiMuro and and Mark Carlson. One of the questions asked was "What's the correct position for brushing dirt off home plate?" (Page 1 of the article).

On Page 6 of that same article, Joe replies, "The correct position for brushing the dirt off home plate is facing the catcher, bending your back side to the pitcher, as a matter of courtesy to the fans."

By inference, we should be able to reason that MLB umpires receive those instructions somewhere in their training. Yes?

There are also many amateur umpire associations that have those same instructions actually written into their training manuals and guidelines for their umpires.

Jerry
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Coach, I believe you are correct. Mr. Childress also "introduces" the expression in his 51 Ways to Ruin a Baseball Game.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:52am
rei

Mr.Childress also condones calling a play at a base the way it looks obvious to everybody else, even if it is the wrong call.

Just because Carl says it doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:54am
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Mr.Childress also condones calling a play at a base the way it looks obvious to everybody else, even if it is the wrong call.

Just because Carl says it doesn't mean it is a good idea.
Which makes me think of the saying:

It takes one to know one!
Closed Thread