The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Smittyisms (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/36638-smittyisms.html)

BigUmp56 Mon Jul 16, 2007 06:25pm

Smittyisms

Okay, so what are they and why are they so hard for some umpires to let go of.

Tim.

waltjp Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.

I'll start with these two.

Screaming "Foul Ball!!!" on every foul, regardless of location.

Telling a new pitcher the number of outs and the location of the runners.

JRutledge Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:18pm

I have another one for you.

Telling the pitcher the situation is something I see often ("1 ball and 2 strikes with a runner on 1st and 3rd").

I think when guys are never taught about what to do, guys get attached to things they find a purpose for. There are guys that are convinced if they do not brush off the pitcher's plate or bases, they just cannot see the play.

Peace

DG Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp
Screaming "Foul Ball!!!" on every foul, regardless of location.

I wonder about guys that scream "Foul Ball" at any time. "FOUL" is generally sufficient.

briancurtin Mon Jul 16, 2007 09:48pm

announcing the outs to everyone, including fans when they ask.

ChucktownBlue Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have another one for you.

I think when guys are never taught about what to do, guys get attached to things they find a purpose for. There are guys that are convinced if they do not brush off the pitcher's plate or bases, they just cannot see the play.

Peace

I had a 1B coach get upset because he claimed his runner couldn't tell if the pitcher was on the rubber or not because it was dirty. Validation for all those who insist on sweeping it off! :rolleyes:

greymule Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:45pm

I need to ask what I fear many will consider a stupid question:

What is the etymology of Smitty?

JRutledge Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06pm

I bet money you will not find a single reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChucktownBlue
I had a 1B coach get upset because he claimed his runner couldn't tell if the pitcher was on the rubber or not because it was dirty. Validation for all those who insist on sweeping it off! :rolleyes:

I have had coaches insist the same thing. If they want it swept off, then they need to do it themselves. That is not our job.

I have a challenge for you. Just show one reference (just one) where it says our job is to use a "plate brush" for sweeping off the plate? Just show one reference in any book that involves umpires on any level. I do not care which book, the NF, CCA, PBUC or any other book I cannot think of. When you find that reference, come back here and give the page and context of those statements.

Peace

UmpLarryJohnson Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:08pm

the day a RUNNER cant figure out when Pitch gets on the RUBBER is the day he needs to QUIT! any RUNNER over 6 years OLD can tell that

Rcichon Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:49pm

Worked with a guy yesterday that started the backstop meeting with, "ok guys, this is your first and only warning: "No Arguing Judgement Calls......".

No lie.......:eek:

Steven Tyler Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcichon
Worked with a guy yesterday that started the backstop meeting with, "ok guys, this is your first and only warning: "No Arguing Judgement Calls......".

Or how about the guy that calls it the backstop meeting instead of plate conference.:D

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigUmp56

Tim.

I find the word "Smitty" like any perjorative term. It's an attempt to lower another person's public image in order to raise your own. Worse than "rat", these are our brothers in Blue you try to demean.

Like digging a hole then shoving a person into it, then proclaiming how "tall" you are. It's total BS.

As I have said before, using terms which degrade others only, in the end, degrades the user. :mad:

rei Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitump56
I find the word "Smitty" like any perjorative term. It's an attempt to lower another person's public image in order to raise your own. Worse than "rat", these are our brothers in Blue you try to demean.

Like digging a hole then shoving a person into it, then proclaiming how "tall" you are. It's total BS.

As I have said before, using terms which degrade others only, in the end, degrades the user. :mad:

I totally agree with this. I detest seeing the term "smitty".

I prefer "weaker umpire". :)

Rich Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
I totally agree with this. I detest seeing the term "smitty".

I prefer "weaker umpire". :)

This is directed more to ****ump56, who is on my ignore list, but shows up when someone quotes him:

Any "brother in blue" who has one year of experience 15 times, who hasn't bought a uniform since buying his first non-Elbeco, who has never attended a clinic, who believes all the rule myths -- why does THIS PERSON deserve any of my respect? I consider Smitty a well-placed pejorative.

fitump56 Tue Jul 17, 2007 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcichon

:D Let me guess, it was the first inning and......:D