The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

I guess we will all be umpiring softball next year

From NFHS.org:

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 9, 2007) -- Beginning with the 2008 high school baseball season, fielders without possession of the ball will not be allowed to deny access to the base that a runner is attempting to achieve.
This change in Rule 2-22-3 is one of numerous rules revisions approved by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Baseball Rules Committee at its annual meeting June 12-14 in Indianapolis. The rules changes subsequently were approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.
"This rules revision will be very beneficial because it will minimize the risk of injury for both offensive and defensive players," said Elliot Hopkins, NFHS director of educational services and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
How is this different from OBS that we currently call?
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I believe you will find that obstruction calls are much easier with this new ruling. It takes the fuzziness out of the call. Either you have it, or you don't.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine27
How is this different from OBS that we currently call?
The current rule contains the concept of "in the immediate act of making a play" and "when a play is imminent."

The new rule doesn't -- the fielder must have the ball.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kraine27 Send a message via MSN to kraine27 Send a message via Yahoo to kraine27
Sounds to me like they are just giving the coaches more things to complain about. Personally, I didn't have any problem enforcing the rule the way it was.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Oh Well,

"Sounds to me like they are just giving the coaches more things to complain about."

I don't know how you can think this. In the most general of terms the NFHS has just tried to get their rule more closely associated to the NCAA rule.

This seems to be a rather nice change from my view. We no longer have to try to teach each umpire what "imminent" means and give guidelines.

Regards,
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

I hope you're right, Tim. For the most part, NFHS coaches around here have the hardest time with the rules changes that should be the easiest to understand. I do like the fact that NFHS is trying to get closer to NCAA.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
This will be only a little difficult to teach at first. I believe we'll have to go over and over what constitutes a train wreck when an errant throw pulls a fielder into a runners basepath.

Tim.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

As far as I am concerned, if the FED moves this way it will be a breath of fresh air!
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 09:12pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
From NFHS.org:

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (July 9, 2007) -- Beginning with the 2008 high school baseball season, fielders without possession of the ball will not be allowed to deny access to the base that a runner is attempting to achieve.
Which is exactly what I have been saying all along.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

A move closer to NCAA is good in most cases since NCAA is closer to OBR than FED is. It will be easy to adjust to this change for HS games, but in some cases make it more difficult. Will American Legion follow? Will tons of summer leagues who follow OBR follow? As long as there are differences there will be occassions to explain the rules to coaches who most of which don't know a single set of rules much less multiple sets.

I have had very few arguments regarding obstruction at the plate and no problems explaining imminent to the complaining manager. But ball in hand will be easier, I must admit.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
This will be only a little difficult to teach at first. I believe we'll have to go over and over what constitutes a train wreck when an errant throw pulls a fielder into a runners basepath.

Tim.
With this new rule, won't "train wrecks" be eliminated?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With this new rule, won't "train wrecks" be eliminated?
No. (Well, not likely -- I haven't seen the final rule.) A throw that takes a fielder into the path of a runner will still be a train wreck.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
No. (Well, not likely -- I haven't seen the final rule.) A throw that takes a fielder into the path of a runner will still be a train wreck.
The current softball FED rule considers denying a base without possession of the ball as obstruction, so my comments are assuming (yes, I know, assume) that this will be the model for FED baseball as well.

In FED softball, their are no more train wrecks. You either have:
a) Fielder has ball, runner contacts fielder for a tag out, interference, and/or malicious contact.
b) Fielder does not have ball, runner contacts fielder (unintenionally), obstruction on the fielder.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The current softball FED rule considers denying a base without possession of the ball as obstruction, so my comments are assuming (yes, I know, assume) that this will be the model for FED baseball as well.
The model is the NCAA (baseball) obstruction rule.