The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Phoenix Guys

Got a question for you guys in The Valley of The Sun. I'm guessing during the week most games are played at night. How about Saturday and Sunday during the day? Temps over 110 for the last couple of weeks do they cancel games? If not it's got to be brutal especially if you have the dish.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Speaking from the softball side....nothing is going to be canceled... you CAN deal with the heat....HYDRATE NOW! and EVERY half inning, go get some more water.... Its gonna be warm this weekend, but it wont be unbearable.....again..HYDRATE NOW! If you dont drink, you WILL go down....
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

What's the difference?

........but it is a dry heat.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

after a certain point, it doesnt matter, but in general, its easier to take than the humidity of the south.....
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

"........but it is a dry heat."

Yea, and so's my oven!

Regards,
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

I spent a summer in Tucson, Arizona about 10 years ago. I worked outside. I can tell you that when the temperature was 115, I could not tell. There is practically no humidity. It can be 75 degrees in the Midwest and it will feel a lot hotter and uncomfortable. Now I was not an umpire yet, but I did sit outside and watch a couple of games when I was board and I was fine.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Having recently spent three days observing the Arizona League duriong which time the temperature was 105 or better, I saw that the umpires pretty much did what I did when working a tournament in Spokane a while back with the temps in the low 100's.

They drink two bottles of water prior to the game and a bottle between innings.

No problems. No thought of not playing the game, even on a day that the air was classified as "unhealthiest" of the year by the authorities.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Got a question for you guys in The Valley of The Sun. I'm guessing during the week most games are played at night. How about Saturday and Sunday during the day? Temps over 110 for the last couple of weeks do they cancel games? If not it's got to be brutal especially if you have the dish.
The sun can be intense. But, of course, the trick is to stay hydrated. In addition to lots of water, I'll drink down a couple of bottles of Pedialyte which works excellent for keeping up electrolytes.

Most baseball is done here by June. But there are a few leagues going on in July and August. Sure, it's a, "dry heat," most of the year, but late summer months are in Monsoon season when the humidity rises and we get dust storms, microbursts, widespread lightning, and scattered heavy rains. That's when it starts getting oppressive.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:04am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I spent a summer in Tucson, Arizona about 10 years ago. I worked outside. I can tell you that when the temperature was 115, I could not tell. There is practically no humidity. It can be 75 degrees in the Midwest and it will feel a lot hotter and uncomfortable. Now I was not an umpire yet, but I did sit outside and watch a couple of games when I was board and I was fine.

Peace
JR, you're a rock of non emotion, an island never to be discovered, a man amongst lesser men, a turtle with an unimpregnable shell, a statue with marble for skin, a...

Go for it, Bro'
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:10am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Having recently spent three days observing the Arizona League duriong which time the temperature was 105 or better, I saw that the umpires pretty much did what I did when working a tournament in Spokane a while back with the temps in the low 100's.
Is it possible that they emulated you or did you clinic them?

Quote:

They drink two bottles of water prior to the game and a bottle between innings.
Are those 8, 16 0r 32 oz bottles?

Quote:

No problems. No thought of not playing the game, even on a day that the air was classified as "unhealthiest" of the year by the authorities.
Unhealthy might mean smog issues, thermal inversion and all. Great post, thanks for the info.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
The sun can be intense. But, of course, the trick is to stay hydrated. In addition to lots of water, I'll drink down a couple of bottles of Pedialyte which works excellent for keeping up electrolytes.
Jim, glad to see this works for you. But this whole electrolyte thing is extremely problematic and there is no clear scientific consensus.

Do what you feel that works.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I know that without the Pedialyte, I can't get through 18 holes of golf when it's 110 degrees -- and that's with a cart. But if I drink down a pedialyte after the ninth hole, I feel like a new man on the back nine.

I also know Pedialyte is often used by professional athletes who have to perform in our weather. During the pro volleyball tournament here recently all the players were drinking Pedialyte. I think there's something to it. After all, you give it to infants to keep them from dehydrating. Why not adults?

And poor air quality out here generally means high levels of particulate matter - 10 microns.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
A very valid point. Humidity is what makes the heat more dangerous, because it prevents one's body from properly perspiring. Intense heat alone is much less dangerous than heat with high humidity.

Tee's allusion to an oven is actually accurate. Open your oven when you're taking something out. You'll get a brief blast of heat, but your face can quickly get used to that heat (assuming, of course, you don't actually stick your head into the oven). If humidity was added to the mix, it'd be a different story.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:36am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
I know that without the Pedialyte, I can't get through 18 holes of golf when it's 110 degrees -- and that's with a cart. But if I drink down a pedialyte after the ninth hole, I feel like a new man on the back nine.

I also know Pedialyte is often used by professional athletes who have to perform in our weather. During the pro volleyball tournament here recently all the players were drinking Pedialyte. I think there's something to it. After all, you give it to infants to keep them from dehydrating. Why not adults?

And poor air quality out here generally means high levels of particulate matter - 10 microns and above.
If Pedialyte or any other water-based drink works for you, then OK. Pedialyte and similar "rehydration formulae" consist of water with sugar and certain minerals.The sugar helps provide energy, and the minerals helps the body absorb water better.

The fact you would drink PLyte which many say is weird or wussified, gets my vote
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Tucson Umpire

It is never any fun working during the monsoon season here in Tucson. While Phoenix does have higher temps they are also usually a little drier. I drink the yogurt drinks, eat bananas and stay hydrated with Gatorade and lots of water. During the HS season it is rarely a problem but during the summer ball and club ball and then devoting some time to LL, yes LL, it is very important to your health to know how to stay properly hydrated.
I have State Championships for LL junior division next week here in Tucson and I am ready for the temps and humidity. Proper attire is Under Armour, Nike or some other type of moisture wicking under garment...very important for comfort.
Stay cool and healthy.
RLE