The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Runner leaves early

Hello All,

Just need some clarification, bottom of the 9th inning home team down by 1 run and its 1 out with runners on 2nd and 3rd. A fly ball is hit deep too center field and caught, both runners tag with the runner from 3rd base scoring. The coach wants too appeal the runner from 2nd base left early and he is called out for leaving early. My question is what happens too this run does it score since it had nothing to do with the play.

Thank You
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

this is a time play has the runner from third scored prior to the Appeal at second base? If Yes, as it appears, the run counts 3 out change sides.

So the short answer YES the run counts.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Isn't this right from the rule book?

Let me look --

Yep, 4.09, second AR, example 5.

Doesn't anybody bother to read teh damn book anymore?

(and, Tim, this wasn't directed specifically at you. This question gets asked multiple times per week and is directly from the book. There's no interpretation needed -- well, unless you think thre's a difference between R1 (in the example) and R2 (in your play). I get frustrated with people who (seemingly) aren't the least bit willing to help themselves).
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
(and, Tim, this wasn't directed specifically at you. This question gets asked multiple times per week and is directly from the book. There's no interpretation needed -- well, unless you think thre's a difference between R1 (in the example) and R2 (in your play). I get frustrated with people who (seemingly) aren't the least bit willing to help themselves).

My guess would be:

1) Like everyone who posts repeat questions, he is not an umpire

2) He does not own a rulebook (and don't point to that jumbled up mass of text on mlb.com, which hurts my head trying to sift through with the only paragraph separation and indentation is between individual rules- for the average joe who doesn't know where to look, that would take forever).

3) He can get an answer very quickly here from umpires like yourself who know the rules.

4) He doesn't know anyone who's an umpire whom he can ask.

5) He doesn't know general message board etiquette to use the search function to see if his question was already asked (which should be #1 for most first time posters).

You can apply that to 99% of ppl who ask basic questions on any umpire forum you read.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
My guess would be:

1) Like everyone who posts repeat questions, he is not an umpire

2) He does not own a rulebook (and don't point to that jumbled up mass of text on mlb.com, which hurts my head trying to sift through with the only paragraph separation and indentation is between individual rules- for the average joe who doesn't know where to look, that would take forever).

3) He can get an answer very quickly here from umpires like yourself who know the rules.

4) He doesn't know anyone who's an umpire whom he can ask.

5) He doesn't know general message board etiquette to use the search function to see if his question was already asked (which should be #1 for most first time posters).

You can apply that to 99% of ppl who ask basic questions on any umpire forum you read.
You respond to questions on these forums for as many years as Bob has and you'll eventually get to his level of frustration too. I guarantee it.