The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 03:44pm
Broadcaster

Microphones for umpires?

Watching today's (Sunday's) Cubs-White Sox game brought a question to mind. I'll let others debate whether or not the umps got the ruling right on the obstruction play as I have no idea. But in a situation like that, especially on the major league level, I wish the crew chief would have a microphone to explain the ruling. Either over the PA system like the NFL refs do or just to the press box so the broadcast guys would know.

What are your thoughts, positive and negative?
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Watching today's (Sunday's) Cubs-White Sox game brought a question to mind. I'll let others debate whether or not the umps got the ruling right on the obstruction play as I have no idea. But in a situation like that, especially on the major league level, I wish the crew chief would have a microphone to explain the ruling. Either over the PA system like the NFL refs do or just to the press box so the broadcast guys would know.

What are your thoughts, positive and negative?
Don't think the umpires need another duty.

Rich Garcia was in the broadcast booth today and he explained it to them and then they reported it. The network should pay for an additional umpire and place him in the booth.

I saw one yesterday in the CWS, classic timing play, bases loaded with a fly ball to outfield with 1 out. Runner on 1b was doubled up getting back to 1b, but not before runner on 3b tagged and scored. You wouldn't believe how much time the announcers spent talking about it, about how they had never seen that and it did not seem right, and they really should change that rule if that is the way it really is, yadayada...
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

My Only question is

WHY DID IT TAKE SO LONG TO MAKE THE CALL????????????????

That was as obvious as the nose on the faces of anyone in the crowd.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Occasional reader; it was this play that made me decide to register and post.

As my screname indicates, I am just a Fan. But, I have always made it a point to try and understand the rules (partially by occasionally reading these boards).

It appears to me that they ruled type A obstruction since they declared the ball dead. I have always understood that type A obstruction is called only when at the time of the obstruction, a play is being directly made on a runner (such as a rundown). At the time of the obstruction in this play, the ball was either in the outfield or in the air from the outfield to the infield. So, how is this type A obstruction when at the time of the obstruction, no play was being directly made on the runner?

And, second, type A obstruction per MLB rules requires a minimum of a one base award. It appeared to me that the obstructed runner was standing on second base when he was obstructed. So, why is he not awarded third (and if you award him third, what do you do with the lead runner who was caught in the rundown between 3B and home)?

I sure wouldn't put my knowledge of the rules up against Joe West, so I'm sure he got this right. But, these were just a few things that didn't seem right based on my knowledge of the rules.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

I only caught this play on the replay, but Im verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interested to hear some AOs here on the topic. I have my opinions but would like to hear what others might say...perhaps I missed an important element.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

7.06(b). If no play is being on made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call "Time" and impose such penalties , if any, as in his judgement will nullify the act of obstruction.

In this case we went from defense getting two outs after committing an obstruction violation, to offense having bases loaded with no outs. I would say the ruling nullified the act of obstruction.

The crew did not declare the ball dead at the time of obstruction, since there was no play being made on the runner. At least two of the crew are shown making the call, but neither killed the play. They made two out calls following the obstruction so the play was not dead. They let the play go and then ruled accordingly to nullify the act of obstruction.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jun 24, 2007 at 05:33pm.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
It appeared to me that the obstructed runner was standing on second base when he was obstructed. So, why is he not awarded third (and if you award him third, what do you do with the lead runner who was caught in the rundown between 3B and home)?
You can't obstruct a runner standing on a base. I did not see this play, so I have no idea what happened, but your description can't be quite right.

If he's obstructed with the ball on the way and the umpires call type a, they'll give him the base that he was going to (or his advance base if he's going back). That's a 1 base award from the last base he legally touched.

Any runner forced to advance by the award would do so.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Anyone know the inning? I'll make a video.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:43pm
Broadcaster

Top 8th inning.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
Anyone know the inning? I'll make a video.
8th inning
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
7.06(b). If no play is being on made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call "Time" and impose such penalties , if any, as in his judgement will nullify the act of obstruction.

In this case we went from defense getting two outs after committing an obstruction violation, to offense having bases loaded with no outs. I would say the ruling nullified the act of obstruction.

The crew did not declare the ball dead at the time of obstruction, since there was no play being made on the runner. At least two of the crew are shown making the call, but neither killed the play. They made two out calls following the obstruction so the play was not dead. They let the play go and then ruled accordingly to nullify the act of obstruction.
How would sending the runner who was tagged out in a rundown between third and home back to third be considred nullifying the obstruction when that runner was not obstructed?
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
8th inning
Yeah, I'm looking at it now. I'm trying to figure out the best part to record because it was one very long incident.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoflg
Top 8th inning.
Looks like we crossed in cyberspace!
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Okay here's the video. It's the best I could do. Watch closely for 3BU Ed Hickox calling the obstruction on the SS at 2nd base:

http://menotomyjournal.com/mlbvids/obstruction.wmv

Last edited by Jim Porter; Sun Jun 24, 2007 at 07:27pm.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently the umpires screwed the pooch when they failed to stop play once R2 was put out at second base. They merely fixed their mistake by putting runners back to where they would've been had they properly stopped play when the obstructed runner was put out.