The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

In the Cleveland game Mark Wegner, with stop watch, called TWO balls for Bettincourt taking more than 20 seconds to pitch:

Comments?

Regards,
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
In the Cleveland game Mark Wegner, with stop watch, called TWO balls for Bettincourt taking more than 20 seconds to pitch:

Comments?

Regards,

Yes.

The new revised rule says 12 seconds so he blew it by a lot.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
good to know the 2nd base ump is looking at a stopwatch and not at other potential happenings (balks, pickoffs, etc). Although unlikely to get caught not looking at the ball in a MLB game.

Perhaps MLB notfied the crew that the Indians were averaging the longest time of games in the league, or close to it (can't find stats anywhere, just speculating on why Wegner would do this).

Editted 2 seconds later:

I realize that the 12 second rule is only in effect when no runners are on. So scratch off the pickoff part of my arguement. Still, licking the hand is called more than 12 seconds rule is.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Another use of the stopwatch. I guess it's not just used for TV Commercial timing.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:59pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:

Comments?

Regards,
MLB wants to shorten games, this is one way they do it.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Comments?

Regards,
Doesnt matter but it was Eddings
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Yelp!

Thanks for the TWO corrections.

12 Seconds
Eddings

Got it.

And I wasn't even drinkin'.

Hopefully the "King of Blather" will not add yet another group of endless posts to this thread.

Regards,
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Football officials use a timer attached to their belt to time the durations of timeouts and play-clock violations. The box vibrates when time has expired. Maybe it's time for baseball to look into a similar device. Call it the BalkBox®

The BalkBox® is a registered trademark of ME.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Comments?

Regards,
It would be nice if this were called more frequently so players at "our level" would be more aware of it and then we could call it without receiving a rasher of s*** and games would move faster.

Applies also to the batter's box rule (and I know MiLB umps have been instructed to enforce this)
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

1. I have never seen this rule enforced in MLB, whether 20 seconds or 12.
2. Betancourt is sloooooow. Even this Indians fan can admit that.

The Indians' announcers have learned how to wait until he's actually set before announcing "the set, and the pitch," or there's an ungainly pause in the middle!
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I love baseball, but the pace of MLB games today is murderous. I find myself working in my office while the TV plays the living room. If things start happening, I go watch.

MLB needs a lot more than a 12-second clock. How they're filling the parks, I don't know. And it's not just MLB: last Saturday, my partner complained to me about the 3-hour, 40-minute regulation Legion game he had endured the night before.

I know you can't really compare baseball today with baseball 100 years ago, but . . .

In the 29 games of the first 5 World Series (1903, 1905-1908), the average time of game was 1:52. A half inning—time between third outs—took on average 6 minutes and 17 seconds. (Seems like it takes that long between innings today.) The 29 games saw a total of 15 relief pitchers.

The 4 games of the 2005 World Series averaged 3:51. A half inning took on average 11 minutes, 25 seconds. Game 3 (14 innings) took 5 hours, 41 minutes. The White Sox and Astros used 15 relief pitchers in game 3, and 31 in the 4 games.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fans think they want a lot of scoring, without realizing that base runners lengthen the game. Baseball is a business, so the customer is always right...
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Here's video of the two incidents. The umpires had issued a warning about the pitcher taking too much time during Magglio Ordonez's at-bat just prior to the first incident. The warning was explained to manager Eric Wedge.

http://menotomyjournal.com/mlbvids/eddings1.wmv
http://menotomyjournal.com/mlbvids/eddings2.wmv
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:30am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I love baseball, but the pace of MLB games today is murderous. I find myself working in my office while the TV plays the living room. If things start happening, I go watch.

MLB needs a lot more than a 12-second clock. How they're filling the parks, I don't know..
Disneyland. most MLB parks are entertainment venues with basball as a side show.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 07:28am
In Memoriam

Apparently MLB issues a list to their umpiring staff on what pitchers, hitters, etc. are delaying the game. Makes sense.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...707050386/1048