Thread: Ok,
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I love baseball, but the pace of MLB games today is murderous. I find myself working in my office while the TV plays the living room. If things start happening, I go watch.

MLB needs a lot more than a 12-second clock. How they're filling the parks, I don't know. And it's not just MLB: last Saturday, my partner complained to me about the 3-hour, 40-minute regulation Legion game he had endured the night before.

I know you can't really compare baseball today with baseball 100 years ago, but . . .

In the 29 games of the first 5 World Series (1903, 1905-1908), the average time of game was 1:52. A half inning—time between third outs—took on average 6 minutes and 17 seconds. (Seems like it takes that long between innings today.) The 29 games saw a total of 15 relief pitchers.

The 4 games of the 2005 World Series averaged 3:51. A half inning took on average 11 minutes, 25 seconds. Game 3 (14 innings) took 5 hours, 41 minutes. The White Sox and Astros used 15 relief pitchers in game 3, and 31 in the 4 games.