The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 01:35am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Tim McCarver - the worst of the bunch. The next rule he gets right will be his first.
Gee, all my posts about playing with McCarver and his being an ***, from personal knowledge, got deleted. I guess that somehow the truth is offensive. Wow.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Gee, all my posts about playing with McCarver and his being an ***, from personal knowledge, got deleted. I guess that somehow the truth is offensive. Wow.
Is that all they dealt with, or did they also contain personal attacks (including responses to attacks on you) of other posters here?

It might not be apparent, but many other posts have also been deleted from this and other threads, and sometimes valid points get caught in the collateral damage.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 10:07am

Come on Bob, he mentioned "playing with McCarver," and therefore left himself wide open. You didn't think my reply was funny? I even added the smiley face to indicate humor.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Morgan without peer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Joe Morgan is without peer as a TV announcer for baseball.

He articulates clearly about the offensive and defensive strategies,knows the players, and draws on a wealth of experience to make watching an ESPN Broadast entertaining and informative.
??????

Well Sir, I can honestly say that I couldn't disagree with you more. I believe that he is one of the worst TV announcers that we have to listen to today. What ever skills that he had as a player on that great team have not transfered to the booth. I would rather listen to a game on ESPN Deportes (and I don't speak or understand much Spanish) than have to listen to him drone on with the nonsense that he called commentary!
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump82
??????

Well Sir, I can honestly say that I couldn't disagree with you more. I believe that he is one of the worst TV announcers that we have to listen to today. What ever skills that he had as a player on that great team have not transfered to the booth. I would rather listen to a game on ESPN Deportes (and I don't speak or understand much Spanish) than have to listen to him drone on with the nonsense that he called commentary!
Then dont listen.

That is why they have ways to change channels or eliminate the sound.

But judged by those who do watch and listen to Morgan, he is one popular guy.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course based on your standards.

But the Joe Morgan accomplishments as an announcer seem to put you in a rather miniscule minority:

Started his broadcasting career in 1985 for the Cincinnati Reds.
Went to the Giants in 1986
Did one year for the Athletics in 1995
1988-1989, Morgan served as an announcer for Monday Night Baseball games, the 1988 American League Championship Series and served as a field reporter for the 1989 World Series.
From 1994-2000, Morgan teamed with Bob Costas and Bob Uecker to call baseball games on NBC. During this period, Morgan helped call three World Series (1995, 1997, and 1999 respectively) and four All-Star Games (1994, 1996, 1998, and 2000). Morgan had spent a previous (1986-1987) stint with NBC calling regional Game of the Week telecasts.
Currently, he is a member of ESPN's lead baseball broadcast team alongside Jon Miller. Besides teaming with Miller for Sunday Night Baseball telecasts, Morgan has also teamed with Miller for World Series broadcasts on ESPN Radio. He is also a broadcaster in the MLB 2K series from 2K Sports.

CableACE award in 1990 and Emmy awards for sports analysis in 1998 and 2005.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:21am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Is that all they dealt with, or did they also contain personal attacks (including responses to attacks on you) of other posters here?

It might not be apparent, but many other posts have also been deleted from this and other threads, and sometimes valid points get caught in the collateral damage.
Fair enough, thx.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:34am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Come on Bob, he mentioned "playing with McCarver," and therefore left himself wide open.
Sure did, what's the issue? JT was several years ahead of me for sure but baseball All Star teams were picked by area. Small town Missisippi USA, I got thrown in with the Big Town Memphis boys. JT was, gosh, 15? Didn't drive, I do remember that. There was always a young squirt who got to tag along during the Legion season so there I was.

I don't know how old you are, this was before your time, but JT was 16 as a senior HS, gone to MinLB soon after that. No one liked him, no one.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
But the Joe Morgan accomplishments as an announcer seem to put you in a rather miniscule minority
The fact that you are the first person I've ever heard of that actually likes Joe Morgan makes me wonder how miniscule that minority actually is. Viewers aren't watching because of Morgan -- they're watching because they want to see the game and have no other choice.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
I disagree. I think most viewers actually don't like him. I can't prove it, obviously, I just get that impression based on the fact that everyone I have ever spoken to about him dislikes him very strongly. I didn't even like him as a player -- sure, he was a great hitter -- but that ridiculous chicken wing he used to pump made me want to smack him.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 01:27am
In Time Out

Jim, I have to defer to the networks on Joe Morgan. There is zillions of dollars at stake and they keep him ad infinitum. Why? Because he improves their revenues.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

The other day Rick Sutcliff was calling a Twin-Yankee game.
R1 and R2 No out. Tori Hunter runs to 1st on a D3K. R1 and R2 advanced.
Neither Rick or his partner understood why the Umps sent Hunter back to the dugout. They didn't try to make up anything, it was just obvious they were confused.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
I disagree. I think most viewers actually don't like him. I can't prove it, obviously, I just get that impression based on the fact that everyone I have ever spoken to about him dislikes him very strongly. I didn't even like him as a player -- sure, he was a great hitter -- but that ridiculous chicken wing he used to pump made me want to smack him.
Joe Morgan is also a successful author on books about baseball.

Perhaps you and your friends would find this one, now in its third edition, informative:http://www.amazon.com/Baseball-Dummi.../dp/0764552341
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
The other day Rick Sutcliff was calling a Twin-Yankee game.
R1 and R2 No out. Tori Hunter runs to 1st on a D3K. R1 and R2 advanced.
Neither Rick or his partner understood why the Umps sent Hunter back to the dugout. They didn't try to make up anything, it was just obvious they were confused.
Sutcliffe actually said "Hunter is out on strikes, as the runners weren't off running on the pitch". As if attempting to take the next base makes the base unoccupied.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbump82
Well, with the CWS, some interesting sits in MLB, there seems to be an abundance of opinions of who is the worst TV announcer, and with everyone's favorite series (LLWS) in a couple of months I'm sure there will be more.

Orel I thought did a pretty good job,
Reynolds was bad,
McCarver & Morgan really stink,
Larkin isn't much better.
I don't have an opinion about the Sox/Cubs guys as I don't get to hear them all that much.

Any other comments or additions to the list?
During yesterday's Yankee v. Twins game, Torii Huner was ejected for screaming at the HP umpire from the dugout. Yankee announcer Paul O'Neil replied, "It's not the HP umpire's job to police the dugout and start and arguement with a player who is off the field!"
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I can only name three:

1) Whoever is on now.

2) Who ever was on before.

3) Whoever is on next.
I'm with Bob on this one!