The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Rotating Field Umpires

I noticed last year during the Arizona Fall League that the field umpires would rotate every three innings. Anyone know if this is being done elsewhere?
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I read an article somewhere that this was being done as a training tool for either new umpires or for those about to make the jump to MLB (maybe both). I don't recall exactly which group this was for, what leagues were doing it, or what the reasoning behind it is.

As I got my start in officiating with basketball, I kinda like the idea though. I'm not saying the guys at this level are bored or missing calls but it certainly keeps you fresh mentally, although there are many different aspects of basketball that make this practice important that aren't found in baseball. For example without rotating, one ref would call all the postplay for team A while on offense and likely call alot more fouls on team B, while the other would be doing the reverse. Creates the appearance of bias or favoritism. In baseball first base is first base for both teams, so not as big a deal.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

This is becoming more common in football that the sideline officials swap at halftime. With most games only being 2 umpires don't see the being a trend in baseball.
Old Sat Jun 23, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
I noticed last year during the Arizona Fall League that the field umpires would rotate every three innings. Anyone know if this is being done elsewhere?
MLB does this during spring training. Gives the AAA/AA guys experience at all the positions.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:24am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
In most training regimens of sport officials, yes.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:45am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Just typing for the fun of it?
When typing is fun, shoot me.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
In most training regimens of sport officials, yes.
Arizona Fall League is pretty elite. Roughly half the players are going to make it to The Show. I'd be surprised if they considered it a training level for umpires. Unless that's not what you meant, then never mind.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:25pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Arizona Fall League is pretty elite. Roughly half the players are going to make it to The Show. I'd be surprised if they considered it a training level for umpires. Unless that's not what you meant, then never mind.
Nope, it's what I meant, the Fall League was to get the nextcoming skilled ballplayers additional field time. I would expect, I would hope, that it would be a proper training ground for the nextcoming MLB umps. The ones that I have known who have gone, that is what they were told. Wait, none of the made it to the ML level. Hmmm..