The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Losing confidence in partner

What do you do when you totally lose confidence in your BU partner when you're PU.

I worked a softball (FP) tournament yesterday with some out of town umpires that came in for the weekend to help us out. I was paired with a guy who parked in A until after a BR rounded first, and then began began to chase her to 2nd from behind outside of the diamond. Never saw him inside the diamond once in 2 games.

I believe that he missed a BR being hit by her own bunted ball out of the box. When I needed his help he had nothing.

I had a play later where a batter hit a ball down near her feet, hesitated, got no "foul" call and then started hobbling out box. I thought that there was a good chance he missed that one also and called "foul" so I wouldn't have to waste my time talking to him about another one where he had nothing. This was a 12 y/o girl, I don't think she was gaming me; I believe I made the right call, although I hate to make it in that way.

I don't like to work this way, but if you lose confidence in your partner, do you just make some calls where you're only 98% sure of what actually happened?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue
What do you do when you totally lose confidence in your BU partner when you're PU.

I worked a softball (FP) tournament yesterday with some out of town umpires that came in for the weekend to help us out. I was paired with a guy who parked in A until after a BR rounded first, and then began began to chase her to 2nd from behind outside of the diamond. Never saw him inside the diamond once in 2 games.

I believe that he missed a BR being hit by her own bunted ball out of the box. When I needed his help he had nothing.

I had a play later where a batter hit a ball down near her feet, hesitated, got no "foul" call and then started hobbling out box. I thought that there was a good chance he missed that one also and called "foul" so I wouldn't have to waste my time talking to him about another one where he had nothing. This was a 12 y/o girl, I don't think she was gaming me; I believe I made the right call, although I hate to make it in that way.

I don't like to work this way, but if you lose confidence in your partner, do you just make some calls where you're only 98% sure of what actually happened?

I think the first thing I would do if I were you is stop working softieball! Other than that there's not a whole heck of a lot you can do when you're forced to work with a sub-par partner other than get through the game as best you can. The other thing I should point out is that while the situations you described where the batter was hit while in the box with a batted ball is a shared responsibility, ultimately they're your calls to make as the PU.

Tim.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 06:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

It might help if you'd ask the softball set what THEY do when there's a no-confidence issue. It's probably different from what baseball folks do.

JJ

PS I think I'll go post something on the basketball board relating to football...
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Bong hits for Bobo

Not intending to pile on. Ok, can't help it.

Can I get financial advise here? On the Baseball board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue

I worked a softball (FP) tournament yesterday?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I've worked with several softball umpires who never pivot, and seem content to 'chase' runners into 2b. That might work on the 60' diamond but it is suicide on the 90' field.

I suppose it's acceptable in softball to do that.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I've worked with several softball umpires who never pivot, and seem content to 'chase' runners into 2b. That might work on the 60' diamond but it is suicide on the 90' field.

I suppose it's acceptable in softball to do that.
Maybe in ASA slow pitch...

In any other fast pitch that I've worked we're always instructed to get inside the diamond when the ball leaves the infield.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
Can I get financial advise here? On the Baseball board?
Why, yes, you can! Here's my advice--collect all your money and send it to me. Don't worry, I'll take good care of it!!

See, you can get anything you want on the baseball board.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=mikebran]Not intending to pile on. Ok, can't help it.

Can I get financial advise here?

Yes, on how to spell "ADVICE".

Bob