The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Foul tip hits home plate

I was a spectator at a 5th-6th grade level baseball game and clearly saw a batter hit a foul tip. The ball shot straight down from the bat and hit the top edge of home plate to the right of the catcher’s right leg and then bounced approx. 12” further to the right of home plate. The catcher grabbed the ball thinking it was a foul; however the umpire called it a live ball. The player on third base made it home and the batter advanced to first base. I was always under the impression that if a foul tip directly hits home plate it is ruled a dead ball. Please explain.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator
I was a spectator at a 5th-6th grade level baseball game and clearly saw a batter hit a foul tip. The ball shot straight down from the bat and hit the top edge of home plate to the right of the catcher’s right leg and then bounced approx. 12” further to the right of home plate. The catcher grabbed the ball thinking it was a foul; however the umpire called it a live ball. The player on third base made it home and the batter advanced to first base. I was always under the impression that if a foul tip directly hits home plate it is ruled a dead ball. Please explain.

Take a look at the definition of a foul tip:

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove or hand.

This should have been ruled a foul ball unless the catcher somehow managed to glove the ball over fair territory.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

In the infield, It doesn't matter where a hit ball lands with regards to being fair or foul it is where the ball is first touched or comes to rest.

Before first and third base:
- if the ball is touched over fair territory or comes to rest on fair territory it is a fair ball.
- if the ball is touched over foul territory or comes to rest on foul territory it is a foul ball.

BTW, this is not a foul tip. A foul tip is a ball that is touched by the bat and goes directly to the backcatchers hand or glove and is caught.

BigUmp got in there just ahead of me!
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

A. That's not a foul tip.
B. The plate is completely in fair territory.
C. If the catcher touched the batted ball directly over the plate, that's a fair ball.

For more in-depth explanations, see rule 2.00, "Fair Ball," "Foul Ball," "Foul Tip."
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

A foul tip is only a foul tip if it's caught by the catcher. Otherwise it is a foul ball...but if it hit home plate...as you're posting...it is a fair ball...sounds like you had a pretty decent ump for your 5th-6th grade game...apologize to him if you jumped down his throat..

FED rules page 21 (2-16, ART 2) a foul tip is a batted ball that goes directly to the catcher's hands and is legally caught by any fielder. It shall be called a strike and the ball is in play. Don't have OBR handy today...and can't find anything in PBUC, but it might be in there.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

All within a few minutes of each other...nice job guys...
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 01:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator
As Tim just explained, what you saw was a "foul ball," not a "foul tip." The umpire must have ruled it a fair ball. Home plate is part of fair territory, so a batted ball that hits home plate, and does not roll into foul territory, is a fair ball. That is the only way the umpire could possibly ruled in this case, for the Batter-runner to advance to first base and the run to score.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 04:17pm
Stop staring at me swan.

way to go Tim
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Response question about ball htting home plate being ruled in play

Sorry for my lack of the proper term that I was trying to refer to and thank you all for such a speedy response. So that I’m clear on the ruling; if the lines around the Batter and Catcher box are worn and are not clearly marked, how large of an area around home plate is fair territory, i.e. the diameter of the line around home plate. The reason I ask is because it seemed clear that after the ball hit home plate and bounced up it either hit the batter or the catcher and seemed to roll out of fair territory. I clearly understand that the ball hitting home plate is always fair territory, is it not more relevant where the ball ends up? And if the ball indeed hit the catcher or batter after hitting home plate, is there a ruling there also. I can definitely see how making a call in a split second with so many variables can be very difficult. Thanks again.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Fair territory starts at the back corner of HP and goes in a straight line to the outside edge of the 1st and 3rd base bags and continues to the fence or end of the playing area. If the ball first touched the catcher anywhere in this area, fair ball. If it was first touched outside of this area, foul ball. Batters box has nothing to do with fair/foul except that in most instances a batter that is hit by a rebounding ball while in the box will incur a foul ball. If it strikes the batter in fair territory, then the batter is out.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 07:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
A foul tip would not hit the plate, therefore, your question is mute!
Hey Ozzy, check it out. He posted again apologizing for the wrong terminology.

The bottom line is that if the ball was first touched in foul territory, it was foul. If first touched in fair, then it was fair. The umpire obviously ruled that it was a fair ball, so in his judgment, the ball was touched by the catcher while over fair territory.

Spectator, the entire plate is in fair territory, and the foul lines extend out from the back point of the plate.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Not only is the question "mute" but it's also "moot"!

I only wish I had a mute button for coaches
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

mute point...i love it
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
mute point...i love it
Yeah, it is a bit ironic that Ozzy would criticize using the wrong word...
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:27pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
A foul tip would not hit the plate, therefore, your question is mute!
mute
adjective
1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance.
2. not emitting or having sound of any kind.

moot
adjective
1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.