Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
(I don't do baseball)
Hmmmm. I think I found Captain Obvious' secret identity.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 06:18pm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:44am
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=GarthB]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
(I don't do baseball)QUOTE]

Hmmmm. I think I found Captain Obvious' secret identity.

Is that him?
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

The stiff softball mechanics agitate me. They remind me of cheerleaders when they put their hand up in the air at the end of a cheer and strike a pose.

Also, i flipped through and seen this one PU in the NW/Wash game call a 10 second violation on the pitchers at least 5 times. It was ridiculous. I was thinking either this lady is the definition of OOO, or maybe that's the way softball wants it done. i dunno.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The way it has been explained to me is that softball is very concerned about umpires being 'bigger' then the game. They don't want to draw attention to themselves, thus the lack of 'selling' calls or different color uniforms.

They frown on 'non standard' mechanics, or colors or doing anything that makes anyone notice anything that you do above and beyond calling the rules and the game as it is meant to be.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

I would try to explain it to you, but I don't think you guys have the wherewithal to comprehend the purpose and the common decency to understand that just because it isn't "your way" doesn't mean it is wrong.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

*sigh*

Ironic coming from a poster who has in his screen name "MAFIA."
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Okee Dokee, Mike!!

I don't think anyone here is saying the softball mechanics are wrong, just different. However, I have noticed that attitudes like yours are quite prevalent in softball.

To each his own, and have a wonderful day!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 10:32pm
In Time Out

Did she go?

That check swing mechanic makes it hard if you wear a HSM. But wait, I don't believe I've ever seen a softball umpire wear a HSM.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
The check swing mechanic is rediculous. Mask off, 3 steps out into foul territory, and a point. Seems a little bit too big if NCAA really wants them to just exist and blend in.

Also, the called strike three mechanic is absolutely hilarious. Arm up, 2 steps to the left or right, then swing it down all the way to your left foot. Give me a break. Hope softball umpires who work 2 man (or woman) don't do this.

Does the signal for "in" in tennis change from clay/composite/grass, men/women, single/doubles? A bit of an exaggeration obviously but you get my point. Baseball and softball obviously stem from the same sport; so what set of umpires changed first? Did baseball umpires in the 1950s used to act like this?
Old Tue Jun 05, 2007, 11:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
The check swing mechanic is rediculous. Mask off, 3 steps out into foul territory, and a point. Seems a little bit too big if NCAA really wants them to just exist and blend in.

Also, the called strike three mechanic is absolutely hilarious. Arm up, 2 steps to the left or right, then swing it down all the way to your left foot. Give me a break. Hope softball umpires who work 2 man (or woman) don't do this.

Does the signal for "in" in tennis change from clay/composite/grass, men/women, single/doubles? A bit of an exaggeration obviously but you get my point. Baseball and softball obviously stem from the same sport; so what set of umpires changed first? Did baseball umpires in the 1950s used to act like this?
I missed the check swing, but I saw the punch out mechanic, and I agree that it was hilarious.

I don't think that the tennis analogy works, because even though the surface/sex/# of players change, the sport remains the same, the court sizes remain the same, and so the mechanics remain the same. I think a better analogy would be comparing tennis and badminton. Baseball and softball are only similar in nature, not really the same.

And baseball umpires in the 50's used horrible looking mechanics, and rushed all their calls. Back then it was considered proper mechanics, whereas nowdays those same mechanics look ridiculous.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Well then SDS, when did softball become so main stream? Where did they get their umpires from (baseball I'd presume?) And were the baseball mechanics at this time that softball really got going representitve of the mechanics that we see in softball today?

Just asking, I'm not old enough to know much about this.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

And were the baseball mechanics at this time that softball really got going representative of the mechanics that we see in softball today?

Absolutely not. The baseball umps in the 1950s and 1960s all had their own style. An ump who made calls like those NCAA softball umps on TV would have been laughed out of the park. The current softball mechanics did not derive from any era of baseball.

Remember that in many places (certainly here in NJ), high school umps (for example) were hired by the school. They were often simply local ex-ballplayers the coach knew. They didn't attend clinics or even have to differentiate between rule sets. It was simply "baseball rules." In the 1950s (and 1960s), things were far less "official" than today.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Nake Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Yes, it's been noticed and commented upon. It's what the NCAA softball group wants. shrug.
When the guy on the plate does the NAKE GUN that looks cool also
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Called Strike Three

Quote:

That is what he or she wants to do that is not a NCAA Softball Mechanic!!!
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 01:33am

Quote:
Well then SDS, when did softball become so main stream? Where did they get their umpires from (baseball I'd presume?) And were the baseball mechanics at this time that softball really got going representitve of the mechanics that we see in softball today?

Just asking, I'm not old enough to know much about this.

I don't know nothin' about no softball umpiring!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Closed Thread