The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Can't find the ball!

13& under game.

Pitcher attempts to pick off runner at first but the ball is overthrown and goes past the first baseman and comes to rest up against a fence in high grass (about 6 inches tall) in play. The runner began to advance to second as soon as he saw the ball get past the first baseman and then stops at second to observe whats going on. The first baseman cannot locate the ball in the grass and raises a hand hoping to get some kind of relief from the umpire. The umpire positions himself (doing game solo by the way) near the middle of the field and just observes with no call being made. The runner now realizes that he might as well just start running and makes it all the way home.

The ball was found in the grass after the play, not stuck in the fence, still in play.

No questions that there was definitely poor grounds crew work on the field.

The manager from the defensive team went ballistic and the offensive teams manager trying to calm things down offered to send the runner back to 3rd.

What would you call?
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

If the umpire does not call time, then play on. It is too bad that the first baseman cannot find the ball. The run should count and go to the next pitch.

Peace
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Provided the deep grass was in play, play on. Maybe it will get mowed next time.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 01:57am

Yes, the defensive coach should use his energy more wisely than to go ballistic on the umpire. He should get out there and mow the grass before the game. I mean, didn't he notice how tall the grass was when hitting outfield?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Once the plate meeting is over, the coaches have thereby agreed that the field is fit for play - its in the PU's hands after that. The coach's chance to b!tch about tall grass has thus passed by....
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

"The manager from the defensive team went ballistic and the offensive teams manager trying to calm things down offered to send the runner back to 3rd."

I particularly like this part.

You didn't allow this to happen, I hope.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:16am
Stop staring at me swan.

yep...count the run...don't make up rules.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtopher_66
13& under game.

Pitcher attempts to pick off runner at first but the ball is overthrown and goes past the first baseman and comes to rest up against a fence in high grass (about 6 inches tall) in play. The runner began to advance to second as soon as he saw the ball get past the first baseman and then stops at second to observe whats going on. The first baseman cannot locate the ball in the grass and raises a hand hoping to get some kind of relief from the umpire. The umpire positions himself (doing game solo by the way) near the middle of the field and just observes with no call being made. The runner now realizes that he might as well just start running and makes it all the way home.

The ball was found in the grass after the play, not stuck in the fence, still in play.

No questions that there was definitely poor grounds crew work on the field.

The manager from the defensive team went ballistic and the offensive teams manager trying to calm things down offered to send the runner back to 3rd.

What would you call?
Manager simply needs to learn the rules. Often in youth tourneys we will even tell the coaches, "ball under fence, keep them running - we can always put them back etc., "

If you call time then you give the defense the advantage - could be a trick play ...

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

The rest of the story...

When the defensive teams manager went crazy he chest bumped the umpire who was then quickly ejected. Then the rest of the coaches went bezerko and would not calm down. The umpire eventually gave warning that if they don't calm down they forfeit. Well, they kept going crazy and he called the game right there.

My team was the offensive team and apparently our manager discussed play with the leauge commissioner the next night and they decided we are going to pick up the game at a later date where it was left off. And... we have to put our runner back on second base.

Someone in one of the post said not to make rules up and that's exactly whats going on here.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

You've got to be kidding me!!!! Are they going to take away the ejections and any penalties that would have happened for the coaches. What a nutso move. I can't say that I haven't seen just as stupid stuff happen around here. One team pitched a illegal pitcher in a Cal Ripken game here and now they are just going to have them replay the game instead of the forefit being given. If you have rules why not follow them?!!!!!!?
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABlue
You've got to be kidding me!!!! Are they going to take away the ejections and any penalties that would have happened for the coaches. What a nutso move. I can't say that I haven't seen just as stupid stuff happen around here. One team pitched a illegal pitcher in a Cal Ripken game here and now they are just going to have them replay the game instead of the forefit being given. If you have rules why not follow them?!!!!!!?
I wonder how they'll play without any umpires. I certainly wouldn't go back and finish it.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 02:55pm

Xtopher, you need to show them this thread and let them know that they are making the wrong decision here.

To restart a forfeited game is a miscarriage of justice, as is putting the runner who legally scored back at second base.

The coaches agreed to the playability of the field when no mention of the tall grass was made when going over the ground rules.

The umpires who worked this game should refuse to rework this game, and the association they work for should refuse to furnish umpires to do the game as well.

It's BS like this that gives all of kiddie ball a bad name, and makes it difficult to find competent officials to do their games.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

kiddie ball....competent umpires? I keed

I watched my youngest son's coach-pitch game last night. They had a LL-certified umpire 'calling' from behind the mound. I knew he was good, because he wore a ball bag out there......hanging directly over his front beltbuckle like a loincloth.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 05:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
kiddie ball....competent umpires? I keed

I watched my youngest son's coach-pitch game last night. They had a LL-certified umpire 'calling' from behind the mound. I knew he was good, because he wore a ball bag out there......hanging directly over his front beltbuckle like a loincloth.
Did he do Lance's patented Hop, Skip and Jump move to cover the plate?
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Wow. I keep learning WHY everyone (ok, not everyone but many) disdaines LL.