The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
Question

I've umpired 13 years for the local church league, and decided it was time to step up. (I know what you're thinking...only 13 years? What's your hurry? ;-) So I just this week sent in my ASA registration fee, and was informed that I'd be able to start working games pretty quickly.

Anyway, I now need the gear...mask, chest protector, shin guards, ASA shirts, pants, hats...you name it, I probably need it (except for an indicator and a rule book...these I have). Does anyone know where I can get used equipment for something of a bargain? I know I can look on ebay, but I'm also sure there are other places, and this seemed the perfect place to ask the question. Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure about "bagain" equipment although check the internet search under "umpire gear" or "umpire equipment" and you should find many sources which may have starter package deals. I usually shop with Honig's at http://www.honigs.com Also, maybe check http://www.asa.com
Sam

[Edited by U of M Sam on Jul 10th, 2005 at 07:18 PM]
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Check with your local ASA organization....the members there should be able to get u going
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ToledoCYOBlue
I've umpired 13 years for the local church league, and decided it was time to step up. (I know what you're thinking...only 13 years? What's your hurry? ;-) So I just this week sent in my ASA registration fee, and was informed that I'd be able to start working games pretty quickly.

Anyway, I now need the gear...mask, chest protector, shin guards, ASA shirts, pants, hats...you name it, I probably need it (except for an indicator and a rule book...these I have). Does anyone know where I can get used equipment for something of a bargain? I know I can look on ebay, but I'm also sure there are other places, and this seemed the perfect place to ask the question. Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie

You can buy a $20.00 worth of stuff on E-bay, for $50.00!

Really though, You can find some good deals there at times.
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

For ASA ump equipment, go to http://www.officialgear.com. They sometimes have pretty good deals on close out or discontinued (but still legal) equipment.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'd tell you to check with the families of former umpires who have passed on, but realize that some of those guys are still working games!