The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

"I'm an umpire too!"

If a coach comes out to argue a call, and states he is an umpire, does that change (either positively or negatively) the way you interact with him? Do you cut him some slack since he is a fellow umpire? Is he on a shorter leash since he should know how to behave while arguing a call? Do you treat him no different than any other coach?
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

For me...

In this situation, he's a coach, I'm the ump! I hope he dosen't want to discuss a judgement call! He should know better.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

If a coach that I don't know claims to be an umpire, I ignore it - not more slack, not less slack. 90% of the time, this means the coach has volunteered to help out on the bases in a 7U teeball game one time, 9 years ago.

But a coach discussing things properly that proves he has some level of rule knowledge is probably going to get a bit longer leash than someone who doesn't - and if this guy's experience as an umpire causes him to behave this way, then he'll get the longer leash.

It may (or may not) be different if I KNOW they are an umpire.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

A good umpire wouldn't play the "do you know who I am?" card. Hence, he must be a bad umpire.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
If a coach that I don't know claims to be an umpire, I ignore it - not more slack, not less slack. 90% of the time, this means the coach has volunteered to help out on the bases in a 7U teeball game one time, 9 years ago.

But a coach discussing things properly that proves he has some level of rule knowledge is probably going to get a bit longer leash than someone who doesn't - and if this guy's experience as an umpire causes him to behave this way, then he'll get the longer leash.

It may (or may not) be different if I KNOW they are an umpire.
I totally agree. The OP stated that the coach came out to "argue" a call. In that case, he's treated like any other coach.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 10:03am
BigGuy

As one of those who works both sides of the fence, I am surprised any umpire who coaches would even think of coming out to question a judgment call.

Since the umpires we use in my son's league are from the same association I belong to, I introduce myself as one. During pregame, if the ump is new to our league, I do help out with the ground rules and local rules if they are not familiar. When they talk about no arguing judgment calls, I always tell them "you'll get no complaints from me."

There has been only one problem umpire. He came in with a chip on his shoulder and a holier than thou attitude and didn't want to play by our time limit rules. I had him two days later and he still had the same chip. I later found out he was a softball ump who was a fill in because they couldn't get anybody else. Luckily we don't have that problem this year.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

There are coaches who umpire and there are umpires who coach. Anybody who pulls this is a coach who umpires and should be granted the same consideration any Rat would get.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue May 22, 2007 at 11:09am.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
Since the umpires we use in my son's league are from the same association I belong to, I introduce myself as one.
Why?

What's the point behind your doing so? It serves no real purpose that I can think of. This practice is fairly common in most sports. And also fairly common is the reaction of most sports officials when they hear that tired old song; they think that "this goober is just doing that because he thinks that maybe I'll give him the close ones". All that you're doing is nothing but a poorly disguised effort at intimidation, and most experienced officials will recognize that immediately.

If, as you say, being an umpire has no bearing as to how you comport yourself as a coach, then why bother mentioning it? Just coach.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

I had a game with two former association members coaching it. Gave one a warning for arguing balls and strikes, gave the other one of those up yours coach, deer in the headlight looks for wanting to argue a no call, contact at the plate, hard slide, and his catcher dropped the ball. He wanted obs. simply because there was contact. Guess that's why he's a former member. They're just another rat, treat em that way, they're just trying to intimidate you, hoping that will get them a call in their favor.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigGuy]As one of those who works both sides of the fence, I am surprised any umpire who coaches would even think of coming out to question a judgment call.
QUOTE]

Umps who coach normally know what they are doing. Thus, I have seen these individuals come out to argue a call and start out by saying "I need to wake up my team, so nothing against you but..." and then go off making a big show of it. I see no problem with this, and would not lose any respect for such an individual.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Coaches that try to play the "I am an umpire/official too" line, I just tune them out. That loses all credibility with me when I hear this. I have even said, "Not all umpires/officials are that good."

Peace
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

You could always respond with "Well, I'm a coach too, and I don't think I would ever argue that obvious of a call!"
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
If a coach comes out to argue a call, and states he is an umpire, does that change (either positively or negatively) the way you interact with him? Do you cut him some slack since he is a fellow umpire? Is he on a shorter leash since he should know how to behave while arguing a call? Do you treat him no different than any other coach?
I NEVER 'argued' with a coach or manager. If they wanted to discuss the call/rule, fine. If they wanted to argue, they were sent back to the bench.

Bob
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Really? You're an umpire too? Then you know why you have just been ejected
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 03:36pm
BigGuy

[QUOTE=Toadman15241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
As one of those who works both sides of the fence, I am surprised any umpire who coaches would even think of coming out to question a judgment call.
QUOTE]

Umps who coach normally know what they are doing. Thus, I have seen these individuals come out to argue a call and start out by saying "I need to wake up my team, so nothing against you but..." and then go off making a big show of it. I see no problem with this, and would not lose any respect for such an individual.
I have no problems with your scenario at all except the "big show" part. It sounds a bit melodramatic. The problem is now the players see their coach going off, even though it's an act, you wonder if just one of them is thinking, "doesn't this sound like a double standard?" As a coach and umpire, it's a very fine line to walk. I prefer to stay on this side.