The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Feeling like a poacher

Did I poach one today?
R1, R2 I'm BU, batter takes a full swing at strike two and the ball hits' square on his left hand, ball was cleary a foot inside. My partner PU says' "time, stike 2", then seeks attendance to the batter.

O coach ask's time, I hear "it hit him". Coach and my partner jabber a bit, I don't know what they were saying? But coach is gyrating a bit, not loud, but very animated. Finally Coach shrugs towards me points and my partner heads my way. After about 5 steps he looks up and I give a strike signal, he spins around, tells coach, that's strike 2, we're playing. That is the end of it, batter recoups and we play on.

Question: What was I thinking, giving a strike sign? Yeah, I agreed it was absolutely the correct call, and "assumed" thats what PU was gonna ask me.

But hey, it's not mine to rule on my partners strike call. We chatted about it a couple innings later. I said "hey, sorry about that strike call, what did you wanna know anyway"? "Just wanted to be certain that even though it did hit the batter, strike was the correct call."

So, should I be feeling as guilty as I am for even making a signal? I feel I should have simply, heard him out, then allowed him to return and explain to coach.

This was a painfully slow going game, and I know, I was irritated a bit with coach even questioning the call, but then again he was down 9-0 at the time.
Still, gotta bite my tongue, and leave my partners calls to him.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 12:40am

Don't worry about it. You knew the situation, knew that you had it the same as your partner, knew what he was going to ask, knew that the coach had no clue of the rule, and knew that the coach would see your signal and realize that he knew very little about the rules. Know what I mean, Vern?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

I called one yesterday from PU position because my partner didn't. R1 going to 2b on a ground ball to F4. F4 is bent over to field it with hands out front and the ball is not quite there yet when he raises up about half way and pulls his hands back as if to avoid R1 who is going by in front of him and R1 still runs into him. I waited and waited and waited with no call from my partner and R1 has taken 4-5 more steps toward 2B while F4 is looking around kind of dazed, so I called the interference. Afterwards I thought, that was his call to make, but he wasn't making it so I had to do what I had to do.

Your partner had made a call and it was correct. Giving him the strike sign back is confirmation and I don't see any problem with that.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
Did I poach one today?
R1, R2 I'm BU, batter takes a full swing at strike two and the ball hits' square on his left hand, ball was cleary a foot inside. My partner PU says' "time, stike 2", then seeks attendance to the batter.

O coach ask's time, I hear "it hit him". Coach and my partner jabber a bit, I don't know what they were saying? But coach is gyrating a bit, not loud, but very animated. Finally Coach shrugs towards me points and my partner heads my way. After about 5 steps he looks up and I give a strike signal, he spins around, tells coach, that's strike 2, we're playing. That is the end of it, batter recoups and we play on.

Question: What was I thinking, giving a strike sign? Yeah, I agreed it was absolutely the correct call, and "assumed" thats what PU was gonna ask me.

But hey, it's not mine to rule on my partners strike call. We chatted about it a couple innings later. I said "hey, sorry about that strike call, what did you wanna know anyway"? "Just wanted to be certain that even though it did hit the batter, strike was the correct call."

So, should I be feeling as guilty as I am for even making a signal? I feel I should have simply, heard him out, then allowed him to return and explain to coach.

This was a painfully slow going game, and I know, I was irritated a bit with coach even questioning the call, but then again he was down 9-0 at the time.
Still, gotta bite my tongue, and leave my partners calls to him.
You know what happens when you ***/u/me.

Bob