The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Trapped Ball

FED: R1, R2, 2 outs, 3-2 on B5:
B5 swings at the pitch and F2 scoops the ball and dirt goes flighting everywhere. B5 takes off for 1st and F2 starts looking everywhere for the ball and can’t find it. Everyone is running and then F2 shows me his glove with the ball stuck in his webbing. I ruled “trapped ball 8-3-3-(d)”.

F2 tries to tell me he caught it and the DC tries to back him up. I award one base to everyone and ask for the next batter.

The DC wants to argue and I state "Coach, your catcher has to show he has the ball and has control. He couldn't do either one when the batter took off for first." I ruled a trapped ball because it stuck in his webbing. Lets play.
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 01:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

if the ball was stuck in his webbing...wouldn't that mean that he caught it...or after the ball went in the dirt, then it lodged?? I would caution you making a lodged ball call when in your post, you state that the ball is lodged in the player's glove
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 01:45pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
if the ball was stuck in his webbing...wouldn't that mean that he caught it...or after the ball went in the dirt, then it lodged?? I would caution you making a lodged ball call when in your post, you state that the ball is lodged in the player's glove
Just because the ball is in the glove doesn't mean he caught it, If it went in the dirt, then into the glove, still a D3K.
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47
FED: R1, R2, 2 outs, 3-2 on B5:
B5 swings at the pitch and F2 scoops the ball and dirt goes flighting everywhere. B5 takes off for 1st and F2 starts looking everywhere for the ball and can’t find it. Everyone is running and then F2 shows me his glove with the ball stuck in his webbing. I ruled “trapped ball 8-3-3-(d)”.

F2 tries to tell me he caught it and the DC tries to back him up. I award one base to everyone and ask for the next batter.

The DC wants to argue and I state "Coach, your catcher has to show he has the ball and has control. He couldn't do either one when the batter took off for first." I ruled a trapped ball because it stuck in his webbing. Lets play.
If the ball was stuck in his webbing, why didn't he pull the ball out? Why did he show you the baseball? You said F2 tried to tell you he caught it, so if he was showing you the ball to say he caught it, he should have been able to pull the ball out. Was the ball lodged so bad as to require extra effort to remove it?

Either way, it was an uncaught third strike. That is the ruling on the field. If you needed to kill the ball for a lodged ball, then that would be the right call.

You didn't really say "trapped ball 8-3-3d" when you made the call, did you? The way you wrote it makes it sound that way.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Seriously, you don't yell out the appropriate sections of the rule book as you make your calls, Steve?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Bob,

I'm sure that, like me, Steve only does so when he's prepared to "back it up" by also citing the appropriate case play references.

Charlie,

That's quite a call. A couple of questions that I'm not clear on from your post:

1. Did the catcher catch the pitch in flight?

2. Was the catcher able to remove the ball from his mitt? Or did you make your call before determing that?

JM

P.S. Do you have many ejections in your games?
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still looking for the term 'trapped' ball myself
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Seriously, you don't yell out the appropriate sections of the rule book as you make your calls, Steve?
Let me say it like Pesci in My Cousin Vinny

I didn't say I did, I said it sounds like he did: He said, "I ruled 'trapped ball 8-3-3-(d)'."

It kind of reminded me of Gomer yelling "citizens arrest, citizens arrest" to Barney Fife.
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

You just made it sound so 'friggin unusual'....LOL

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 03:59pm

Oh, I get it now. You two "Yutes" are being funny. HA!
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I only quoted the rule here, not on the field. A long time ago when I went to umpire training I was taught to never quote the rule but to say things like "he balked when he did not complete his movement" or "he has to gain ground". What I told the coach was that the catcher did not have ball control and that it was "trapped, therefore the trapped rule applied".
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Charlie,

Forgive me for being dense, but WTF is "the trapped rule"?

Also, I'm still not clear on the answers to the 2 questions I asked in my previous post on this thread. Could you enlighten?

JM
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
Charlie,

Forgive me for being dense, but WTF is "the trapped rule"?

....is Trapper John MacIntyre involved?
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'm equally confused (huh?)!! I thought the ball was 'trapped' against things like the ground, a fence, in an armpit, but NOT in a glove. I thought that is what those darn things were designed to do, no?

-----------------------
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm also a bit dense, as 8-3-3-d states(paraphrase) -1 base awarded if "lodged in umpires or catchers equipment".
Now guys, I take that to mean mask, chest protector, uni, ect, but not IN THE GLOVE.
The OP said F2 was looking everywhere for the ball and couldnt find it. I believe the PU made the "trapped?" call for that reason alone--would you have called it if catcher wasnt looking around?- I bet not.
So, the issue isnt whether it was trapped or not, but that F2 didnt know he had caught it.
I.E., Grounder to F6, throw to F3 in the dirt beats BR, F3 catches it but thinks it bounced off glove or got by him, he jumps up looking around-What do you call? Out on the example, OOO on the sich!

Last edited by archangel; Thu May 17, 2007 at 02:20pm.