Thread: Trapped Ball
View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2007, 02:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47
FED: R1, R2, 2 outs, 3-2 on B5:
B5 swings at the pitch and F2 scoops the ball and dirt goes flighting everywhere. B5 takes off for 1st and F2 starts looking everywhere for the ball and can’t find it. Everyone is running and then F2 shows me his glove with the ball stuck in his webbing. I ruled “trapped ball 8-3-3-(d)”.

F2 tries to tell me he caught it and the DC tries to back him up. I award one base to everyone and ask for the next batter.

The DC wants to argue and I state "Coach, your catcher has to show he has the ball and has control. He couldn't do either one when the batter took off for first." I ruled a trapped ball because it stuck in his webbing. Lets play.
If the ball was stuck in his webbing, why didn't he pull the ball out? Why did he show you the baseball? You said F2 tried to tell you he caught it, so if he was showing you the ball to say he caught it, he should have been able to pull the ball out. Was the ball lodged so bad as to require extra effort to remove it?

Either way, it was an uncaught third strike. That is the ruling on the field. If you needed to kill the ball for a lodged ball, then that would be the right call.

You didn't really say "trapped ball 8-3-3d" when you made the call, did you? The way you wrote it makes it sound that way.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25