The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Overruled balk call

OBR 8.05(b): "If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when the pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw." (Empahsis added)

Pony game (13-14 years old), OBR. I'm BU working for the first time with one of the big dogs of our association. Pitcher's pickoff move to first (set position) is to step halfway back, ending up with pivot foot on top of the pitcher's plate, while throwing to first. Hmm, says I, if he does that and fails to throw, that's a balk.

Few innings later, I'm in C about 20 feet from the pitcher, and he does it - steps back, turns and plants the ball of his foot in the middle of the plate, and feints a throw to first base. "Balk" says I. "No, he didn't, he stepped off" says PU. "He didn't step all the way back, his foot was on the rubber", I reply. "No, he stepped all the way off, I can see that from here," PU rejoins in an incredulous tone. I keep quiet, thinking that a quiet conference between umps was not likely to lead to a positive outcome, either for the call or for me. The balk is not enforced. Two innings later, pitcher does it again, and neither of us calls the balk.

PU later tells me that on the disputed call he saw the pitcher step all the way off, and if his foot then happens to retouch the plate while making the feint, it does not matter, he has stepped off and is now an infielder. I would not call a balk for incidental contact while feinting after stepping off. But is PU right, even when the entire pivot foot is smack in the middle of the plate at the time of the feint (which is hard to imagine without the pitcher taking two steps with the pivot foot)?

Question 2: what should I have done, what can I do now, about the big dog PU overruling my call?
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 01:55pm
BigGuy

ART. 4... Balk. If there is a runner or runners, any of the following acts by a pitcher while he is touching the pitcher's plate is a balk:

To answer your question - he is still in contact with the plate when the feint is made, I say balk.

To answer your second question - find another partner who doesn't take it upon himself to overrule you every time he doesn't agree with you. A partner should NEVER attempt to overrule your call. If you confer with him and agree with his assessment, the call to reverse lies only with YOU.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The umpires are out there as a team. NEVER try overrule your partner on a balk or any other call that they make.

If one of the teams complains and asks you to go to your partner, then the other umpire can let you know what he saw, but NEVER, NEVER show-up your partner!!!!!!

Last edited by tibear; Wed May 02, 2007 at 02:36pm.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

That is clearly a balk. He must step off the rubber, not on to the top of the rubber.

That being said, my assoc. schedules through an online program and we have the ability to block partners who we don't want to work with. I would never work with him again.

If you can't do that, next time you're in C just overrule one of his strike calls because you could see it from there.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Would've conferenced quietly (Not from across the field).

1. Remind him I had the better view.
2. Agree that he stepped back.
3. Pointed out that what he couldn't see was that it wasn't a step off.

A reasonable partner would agree to enforce balk.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:08pm
rei

I would report him to your assignor. Not only should you never attempt to overrule your partner, by rule, you CANNOT overrule your partner!!!
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Balk calls are concurrent jurisdiction - no basis to overrule. Report him to your assignor ASAP.
Old Wed May 02, 2007, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What if he is your assignor?
Then discuss it with your association president.

Tim.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Discussion Item

It's not unheard of that the two umps will discuss this very thing at their pre-game. My usual partners know that the BU takes the pitcher's waist down for calling balks; the PU will take from the waist up. You don't get too many differences of opinion then.
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 11:46am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry
It's not unheard of that the two umps will discuss this very thing at their pre-game. My usual partners know that the BU takes the pitcher's waist down for calling balks; the PU will take from the waist up. You don't get too many differences of opinion then.
Hmmm...interesting way to go about it...never heard of that one before...but I think it's good. If this were legal...think of the advantage a pitcher would have here...that is why it is a balk! Your partner =
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
OBR 8.05(b): "If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when the pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw." (Empahsis added)

Pony game (13-14 years old), OBR. I'm BU working for the first time with one of the big dogs of our association.
That's the problem with lots of big dogs - they simply "don't know the rules."

If you have to work with him again, I would have the rule copied and show it to him - stepping on the rubber is not stepping back of the rubber.

Thanks
David
Old Thu May 03, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
You'd better go to the E.R. and get checked for bus tracks

I agree with a more private or quiet conference with your 'big dog'. Advise him that you had a better view of the sitch and that the next time he overrules you like this that he will do the remainder of the game alone.

Then keep ratcheting up the chain until you get someone impartial to listen but be warned: Realize that the 'old boy network' may be in place here and that your actions while honest may constrict further assignments.

Which may not be a bad thing anyway.

And yep, he balked.
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Had this exact thing happen in a HS game a couple of weeks ago. The pitcher stepped back, but did not clear the rubber, and faked. I balked him and the Def. HC came out of the dugout and starts yelling "He stepped off". I motioned for him to come talk to me and told him that he didnt clear the rubber. He says, "come on, he tried to step back, give us a break". I just told him that the rules dont define a legal pick as "trying" to disengage the rubber if you want to fake to first. He kind of looked at me and said, "OK blue, thanks for the explanation." Didnt hear a peep the rest of the game.
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher
Had this exact thing happen in a HS game a couple of weeks ago. The pitcher stepped back, but did not clear the rubber, and faked. I balked him and the Def. HC came out of the dugout and starts yelling "He stepped off". I motioned for him to come talk to me and told him that he didnt clear the rubber. He says, "come on, he tried to step back, give us a break". I just told him that the rules dont define a legal pick as "trying" to disengage the rubber if you want to fake to first. He kind of looked at me and said, "OK blue, thanks for the explanation." Didnt hear a peep the rest of the game.
That's the best way to diffuse a coach, "the rules say ... and the pitcher did ..."

Since most coaches simply don't know most of the rules, it serves two purposes - education and now he knows that you know the rules.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 05, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

"Question 2: what should I have done"

To your partner, quietly: "F1 did not clear the rubber, I have a balk and it's standing".

To Coach fans and players loudly and confidently: "F1 did not clear the rubber, that's a balk, you X base and return to your position".

IMO, even a "big dog" wouldn't or at least shouldn't, carry on after your "clear and confident" ruling.

And of course, an intimate discussion with your "big dog" after the game would be in order, as well as a follow up with your UIC or assignor..