The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

its not called anything really. IIRC there are only 2 specific instances of 'umpire INT' in the rules, and this is not one of them.

Forest, you should have expected this reaction when you bring a Eteamz topic to this board
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
settle down for ten seconds and realize that this probably will NEVER EVEN HAPPEN AGAIN.
Actually, this happened in a late season, nationally televised NCAA Division 1 game last year...that we discussed in-depth on this board and other umpire boards.

While the umpire (in the NCAA game) screwed up in being where he was...the crew got it right and ruled it was not umpire's interference. They had to issue a lot of apologies...but a rule is a rule.

We're paid to get the rules right. And, frankly, I hate cleaning up other umpires' messes, too...on any level.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
Garth I know, but the coach was so happy to get the out nullified and his kid back on third that I just went with it.
Of course he was happy ... you cheated in his favor! Why wasn't the OTHER coach chewing you out?
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Garth, I hear what you are saying but I doubt that's going to happen with this group. They were about the mellowest coaches I have ever dealt with. Parents too. Which was actually quite a relief. Last week I almost called the police because a parent was drunk and yelling obscenities. But that's another story. It was the offensive coach that asked me to put him back on third. It wasn't going to change the game. Heck the game was over in 75 minutes.

Now guys don't go flaming me on this one. I thought it was kind of funny so I put it out here. Shame on me for drinking tequila on Cinco de Mayo and posting.
Not flaming you ... but you do need to be aware that lax understanding of rules by coaches and parents coupled with mellow reactions to an umpire not knowing the rules is NOT a good reason for you to be making up rules out there.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 11:55am
Stop staring at me swan.

How would that be scored?

It is scored however the play pans out...if it's an assist from F7...then it could be a 7 - 2 put out at the plate.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Johnny, thanks for that delightful bit of information. I will now promptly forget it!!! LOL

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:18pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Johnny, thanks for that delightful bit of information. I will now promptly forget it!!! LOL

why would you forget a correct answer?
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand why anyone needs to know scorekeeping in such minute detail!!! We "SCORE THE RUN" or "NO RUN"....thats about it.

I'm sorry for my sarcasm, but we have been inundated with these mundane trivial issues for a while now.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08

why would you forget a correct answer?
Why would most of us here remember this one? (And those of us who would need to, self included, already knew that).
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 03:06pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Gentlemen:

I had the toughest call I have ever had to make today (tounge in cheek). I called interference on the umpire.

Runner on third, batter hit the ball to F4, F4 throws the ball to F3 for the out. Meanwhile R3 runs home and runs into the umpire who is standing too near the line. R3 is called out on the tag at the plate. I called time. I put R3 back on 3rd. I then gave the umpire a royal a** chewing.

BTW. This was 9-10 year old house league mustangs and I was the only umpire

Happy Cinco de Mayo.
Now when I broadcast a HS playoff series this weekend, I'll know what the rule is should this situation occur. Thanks.

Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Shouldn't this have been called 'umpire obstruction', and how is it scored?
Sorry...I'm not on this board to judge the good questions and bad questions...I simply answered how the play would be scored...don't bite my head off....
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Sorry...I'm not on this board to judge the good questions and bad questions...I simply answered how the play would be scored...don't bite my head off....
Most of us recognized the question as facetious. No sweat, you didn't know. For umpires, the rule book only goes from 1-9.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Gentlemen:

I had the toughest call I have ever had to make today (tounge in cheek). I called interference on the umpire.

Runner on third, batter hit the ball to F4, F4 throws the ball to F3 for the out. Meanwhile R3 runs home and runs into the umpire who is standing too near the line. R3 is called out on the tag at the plate. I called time. I put R3 back on 3rd. I then gave the umpire a royal a** chewing.

BTW. This was 9-10 year old house league mustangs and I was the only umpire

Happy Cinco de Mayo.

Please explain how you chewed your own a$$.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

That occurs when trying to recover from severe cranio-rectal immersion.

-----------------------
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
You want to talk about a sh$t storm...

2 years ago...FED Vasity...I have the bases;

1 out, R1, R3.

BR hits into a possible double play. I call the first out at 2nd. As the play is developing at 1st, my partner steps in to wipe the plate, thinking it is going to be an automatic out at 1st.

BR is safe at 1st on a pulled foot, R3 crashes into the plate umpire. They both go down in a tangled mess. R3 has not touched the plate, F3 throws the ball to the catcher, who tags R3. Plate umpire sees the tag, and calls the runner out from the ground.

Yep, the runner was out, but in my heart, I wanted to nullify the out, and give him home and the run.

It took almost 20 min. to get the game started again. I didn't toss anyone, even though things were said that would normally get someone tossed. Somehow, my hard a$$ partner didn't toss anyone either.

One the way back to the car after the game, my partner blamed me for not making the Bang-Bang call at 1st. In my heart, I kicked him in the B@lls and went home. (I didn't of course)

Nick