The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

As a coach and an umpire, here's my take on the situation. The coach was completely in the wrong for contacting the umpire from behind as he did, and it was that action alone that led to all subsequent action. When the umpire turned around, the coach got right in his face, nose to nose, the umpire made a move toward the coach's face with his mask to create separation, and the coach reacted to that by shoving the mask back.

I don't blame the coach for reacting defensively to the mask, but the only reason that happened was because the coach chose to contact the umpire from behind and then get in his grill. I think everyone involved was lucky that there was not a fight. Punishment wise, I think the coach was right to resign, I think he should be done for this season and maybe be required to attend anger management before returning to coach.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
As a coach and an umpire, here's my take on the situation. The coach was completely in the wrong for contacting the umpire from behind as he did, and it was that action alone that led to all subsequent action. When the umpire turned around, the coach got right in his face, nose to nose, the umpire made a move toward the coach's face with his mask to create separation, and the coach reacted to that by shoving the mask back.

I don't blame the coach for reacting defensively to the mask, but the only reason that happened was because the coach chose to contact the umpire from behind and then get in his grill. I think everyone involved was lucky that there was not a fight. Punishment wise, I think the coach was right to resign, I think he should be done for this season and maybe be required to attend anger management before returning to coach.
As I've said once or twice, there are coaches who umpire and umpires who coach. You sound very much like an umpire who coaches.

Good call.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

I was with you for a while, but.....

Yes, he should have removed his mask.

Yes, he should have turned his back after the ejection. (Where is his partner?)

He shouldn't have displayed any anger? Have you ever had a manager get in your face like this? You're not going to be very pleasant.

It is not his responsibility to make sure the coach is leaving the area, that duty falls on his partner.

He didn't move forward and become the agressor, the manager physically turned him around to face him and then got in his face.

And lastly, his ejection technique was fine with the exception of leaving his mask on.
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
Plate umpire handled the ejection rather clumsily.

He should have removed his mask, never turned his back, and never displayed any anger whatsoever. The less he says, the better. He should have been making sure coach was leaving the playing area. He was well within his rights to eject or restrict coach for arguing balls and strikes.

Do not move forward toward your aggressor. Move away. Anybody wonder why this is perceived as a head butt? I'm sure this ex-Marine had some words that added fuel to the fire.

Coach has his say and he basically ejected himself. Umpire should have shown more class in his ejection technique.
Let cut the crap here. Next thing we will be saying is that the coach should eject with his left hand because it could have been interpreted as a strike, because he used his right. Quit nit-picking this to death, because the perfectionist's here probably would'nt have done much better.

The coach initiated, continued and elevated the entire incident to the point that he made contact 2 times before punching the official. He should be lucky that the mask wasn't used on him. And please don't try and argue that the official does not have a right to protect hisself.

Your the one that should be showing more class here and supporting an official that did an excellent job handling an out of control coach under circumstances far from ANY normal athletic competition. This was a HS game.

Could have , would have, should have....The coach was nothing but WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Want to wait for the police to show up? One doesn't go to jail for fighting anymore. Cops write a ticket and release them right there in front of you. They'll ask you if your okay, want to press charges or call an ambulance. Your wife will probably tell you that it is better for you to not get into a confrontation anyway.

Try explaining that to your wife over cold dinner and a worried look. It ain't worth handing out a good @$$ kicking anymore. Its just too risky. Do you know how long emergency room wait takes? You'll be the last to see a doctor. Better to get home early. Your wife should have a list of better things to do with your time, like the dishes, the laundry, etc.
First, why would I care how long this coach had to wait in the emergency room while I was home sipping on a Miller Chill?

Second, if I didn't kick this guy's a$$, I might as well not come home at all, as my wife would just call me a big PUSS for letting the coach slide. My wife is Sicilian, buddy. She doesn't take too kindly to anyone getting in my face. She would have made a great umpire (or prizefighter) herself.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25