Thread: Assignors -
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 12, 2001, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

In a response from my thread on Turnback of Games Jim P mentioned the following:

Turning back assignments is absolutely wrong. It makes your assignor pull his hair out

Ok I can fully understand that as I have assigned games in my local LL organization. However, why is it that assignors frown when an umpire does his / her due diligence and gets his / her own replacement?

In the association I belong to each member has a Master list of all the umpires, however, it is unacceptable for an umpire to get their own replacement in case they can't make a game.

I can undertsand that there are certain games, like Playoffs, Sectionals or any other "Big" Game in which an assignor wants to have control over. But for the life of me I can't undertsand why an assignor would have a problem with an umpire getting their own replacement concerning an everyday run of the mill type game.

Therefore, concerning turnback of games, IMO assignors are sometimes their own worst enemy and create unnecessary headaches because they want to have TOTAL CONTROL.

As mentioned I assigned games for our local LL association and if you think assigning games (when the individuals get paid) is difficult try assigning games when individuals are volunteering. With the exception of playoff games and ALL Stars, I had no problem (and even encouraged it) when individuals got their own replacement.

Therefore, in conclusion perhaps this whole issue of assignors tearing their hair out when someone turns back a game can be easily avoided if they loosen the reins a little more.

Ok assignors Your turn

Pete Booth