Thread: Assignors -
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 13, 2001, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Pete: I now assign for two associations. One is one of the largest high school/college association in the northwest, the other is a large youth ball association. From my frame of reference:

When I assign a game I have put two people who not only work well together, but whose skills, personality and experiece compliment one another and are suited for the level of game, coaches and history of the competition. Additionally, I have worked hard to fairly assign games so that each umpire gets his desired fill of assignments.

When someone attempts to replace him/herself any or many of the above factors and goals may be thwarted and possibly to such an extreme that a major sh@t house occurs.

I do not attempt to control assignments for some ridiculous feeling of power; I control assignments so that the games, coaches, players, school histories and tendencies, and umpires are best served.

Can you do that with a quick phone call to someone on your list?

That said, if you call me with a cancellation and tell me that you've talkled to a couple of umps who are available and willing to replace you, I will appreciatively make note of the name and consider them first as I check out the game and possible replacements. If they fit the bill, I'll use them.