The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
2 hours. (For those of you outside of Texas, please understand that "How far..." is always measured in hours, not miles, here. )

I'm just east of Denton / Lake Lewisville.
We measure in hours here in North Jersey too. A two-hour trip could be 20 miles.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Typo...get a grip
A typo which makes the rest not make any sense. What did you really mean?
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:08pm
BigGuy

Quote:
2 hours. (For those of you outside of Texas, please understand that "How far..." is always measured in hours, not miles, here. )

I'm just east of Denton / Lake Lewisville.
How was the weather the other day -my wife said there were tornados seen in Denton. I used to travel there frequently from '89 to '93 and stayed at what used to be the Sheraton
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A typo which makes the rest not make any sense. What did you really mean?
Okay Mac...is it a fight you want today? Maybe you should take your PMS pills and try again tomorrow.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

...and another one makes the list.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
...and another one makes the list.
*click* ???
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
OK, a unique thread I must admit, but I wanted to post it more so out of curiosity than anything else.

Last night I was chatting with a fellow NCAA umpire buddy of mine who lives in southern California. Frank was talking about his first ejection of the season occurring in his Oklahoma St. @ Cal. State Northridge series recently. We got to discussing EJs in general, and the conversation took an interesting path.

We were debating whether, as much as most umpires would prefer NOT to eject someone, that we're all secretly guilty of some kind of instant, twisted pleasure when it comes to dumping an individual. We also talked about how there often seems to be a rush of adrenaline when we eject someone, but not in a necessarily negative sense. Perhaps it's due to what I sometimes call the "totality of the circumstances." Some EJs are instantaneous, done as a direct and immediate result of a transgression, while others may have been building for several innings, etc. Whether there is this weird, internal, sadistic satisfaction from dumping someone ( ), I can tell you this much: I never like the whole situation surrounding an ejection. It creates a tension or other weird feeling that just isn't good.

I generally am not known for having a lot of ejections during my entire season, which usually sees me working 150 games or more, but I've got two already since March 17th, which is more than I've had at this time in years. I'm not worried at all; that's just the way it goes sometimes. Nevertheless, the topic of ejections has always intrigued me, especially, I suppose, as an assignor, where I receive Umpire Reports from those whom I assign and for one of the conferences here where I assist the Supervisor with staffing and observations.

So, what are the thoughts of those here? Who has how many EJs this year? We're among friends here, so I don't think we need worry about the quantity, reasons, etc. As I said earlier, I'm more curious than anything else.
I actually have not had any this season at all and I think that it is a good thing. Working real hard on 'game management' and how I deal with RATS.

Been using this method.... BE NICE! -- Until it is time not to be nice.
Killing them with kindness???? Not sure if that is really true or if I have just been lucky.

But, I do have to admit that when it 'is time not to be nice' I too get a bit of a rush ---- and perhaps a bit of satisfaction

Until I remember that now I have to write it up! Bummer!
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to throw in a little humor to the subject. A few years back, an assistant baseball coach was in his last year of coaching. In his last regular season home game, an umpire I have worked with for a number of years, ejected him in the first inning after being warned several times about questioning balls and strikes. There was a big crowd at this game, and the local newspaper. Now mind you this coach was a thorn in the side of most of our umpires during his coaching tenure, but what is really funny about this is that he gets ejected in the first inning of his last game. Word got out amongst our association, of which most of our members lauded the umpire who tossed this coach, just because this coach was a constant whiner. Even after the game the local newspaper wanted to get the umpire's name and a comment from him, but the umpire did not give his name or comment on the situation.