The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

OBR vs Fed: Stepping on the Plate

Batter steps on plate but his foot is not completely out of the batter's box. In OBR, this is nothing, correct? What about FED?
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:23am
Stop staring at me swan.

How can his foot be on home plate and in the box at the same time? Part of his foot on the plate, and part in the box?? my understanding is that a hitter can't touch home plate and make contact with the ball with his bat while in the act of swinging...tough to call unless it's staring you in the face...
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

FED Rule 7-3-2

"A batter shall not hit the ball fair or foul while either foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate."

Penalty - "the ball becomes dead immediately and the batter is out"
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
How can his foot be on home plate and in the box at the same time? Part of his foot on the plate, and part in the box?? my understanding is that a hitter can't touch home plate and make contact with the ball with his bat while in the act of swinging...tough to call unless it's staring you in the face...
A batter's foot can very easily be still legally in the box and make contact with homeplate. The distance from the edge of the box to the edge of the plate is 6" . Consider that most shaving age players have a foot longer than 6" and that the lines of the box are considered to be within the box. Now consider that in order to call a batter out for making contact with the ball outside of the box the foot has to be on the ground completely out of the box and you should see how this is possible.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:37am
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
Batter steps on plate but his foot is not completely out of the batter's box. In OBR, this is nothing, correct? What about FED?
FED 7-3-2 If he hits the ball fair or foul with foot touching home plate, he is OUT. With a big enough foot - like 12 and up, easily possible to be in box and touching home plate at same time.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

makes contact w/ the ball, touching home plate = out. period...whole foot, partial foot, big toe, little toe.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you been in the vicinity of home plate? Ever?

Next time you head out to call a game, go put your toes on the plate, and see where your heel is.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
FED 7-3-2 If he hits the ball fair or foul with foot touching home plate, he is OUT. With a big enough foot - like 12 and up, easily possible to be in box and touching home plate at same time.
Nonsense. My 7 year old daughter can have her toes on the plate and her heel on the white line. It doesn't take a large foot at all.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
makes contact w/ the ball, touching home plate = out. period...whole foot, partial foot, big toe, little toe.
In FED, yes. In OBR, not true.

Tim.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:12pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Nonsense. My 7 year old daughter can have her toes on the plate and her heel on the white line. It doesn't take a large foot at all.
I was speaking generically. I would imagine your 7-year old daughter is probably about a size 5 or 6 - about 9-1/2" long, so yes, it's possible, but also the smaller the foot the less likely it's going to happen.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:17pm

Quote:
I was speaking generically. I would imagine your 7-year old daughter is probably about a size 5 or 6 - about 9-1/2" long, so yes, it's possible, but also the smaller the foot the less likely it's going to happen.
But at that age, the distance from the plate is only 4 inches, not 6 inches like on the big boys' field. It is very possible for all LL participants (12U) to be both in the box and on the plate at the same time, as the line is very close. There is no penalty for this in all OBR based games. Only in the wonderful world of Fedlandia is there any such nonsense.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:40pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Have you been in the vicinity of home plate? Ever?

Next time you head out to call a game, go put your toes on the plate, and see where your heel is.
I'm not about to get out a ruler and debate this with you....your insults are uncalled for. 99/100 times I'm not going to see this to call it anyway...foot on plate/foot off plate. light is on/light is off, black/white. we can agree to disagree...you rule your way, I'll rule mine...when we work together you can take the plate.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

No reference to home plate, but OBR guys who aren't aware, should be aware of OBR rule 6.06(a) A batter is out for illegal action when --
(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.

My question is if the entire foot is on home plate, wouldn't the entire foot be out of the batter's box??
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point was that the line (which is considered IN the box) is NOT as far as you guys seem to be indicating from the plate itself. It doesn't require a big foot at all. I'll have my 3 year old at the field tonight - I'll see if she can be both in the box and on the plate - it'll be close, but I bet she can.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not about to get out a ruler and debate this with you....your insults are uncalled for. 99/100 times I'm not going to see this to call it anyway...foot on plate/foot off plate. light is on/light is off, black/white. we can agree to disagree...you rule your way, I'll rule mine...when we work together you can take the plate.
Sorry if you took offense ... but you said, "How can his foot be on home plate and in the box at the same time?" To anyone who has actually called a game, this is a REALLY uninformed question. You act as if there is this huge chasm between. They are RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER. Like I mentioned to bigguy, even the smallest person could be in the box and on the plate at the same time.

As to the rest of what you say ... yeah, I'm not likely to see it either. I don't believe we disagree ... I just didn't understand how an actual umpire could ask the question you asked.