The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Two strange plays

Two odd things happened in our game the other day and I was looking for the rulings from everyone.

Situation 1, with R1 at third, B2 attempts to bunt the ball. Ball hits the bat, goes straight into the ground and back into the bat without the batter attempting another swing. Batter was still in the box at the time.

Situation 2, with R1 at third, R1 takes off for a straight steal of home. The pitcher was in the stretch and had not started his motion. Pitcher steps off and throws home where the runner is tagged before crossing the plate.

I'll come back with the calls in the game.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaryrams
Two odd things happened in our game the other day and I was looking for the rulings from everyone.

Situation 1, with R1 at third, B2 attempts to bunt the ball. Ball hits the bat, goes straight into the ground and back into the bat without the batter attempting another swing. Batter was still in the box at the time.

Situation 2, with R1 at third, R1 takes off for a straight steal of home. The pitcher was in the stretch and had not started his motion. Pitcher steps off and throws home where the runner is tagged before crossing the plate.

I'll come back with the calls in the game.
FOUL, OUT.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Sitch 1 - Foul
Sitch 2 - I see nothing tricky at all here... just a runner stealing a base and being thrown out. What is there to rule on? Did you forget to type in part of the scenario? Did the batter do something odd?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

What Rich said.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Situation 1, after conf with BU, PU changes to Foul. My guess was he was screened

Situation 2, BU called balk, saying he never came to a stop but must have missed the step off of the rubber. Pitcher never made a move anywhere but home when the runner took off other than stepping off. Even if BU didn't see it, could he make a move straight home without a full stop if the runner is stealing?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Situation 1, after conf with BU, PU changes to Foul. My guess was he was screened

Situation 2, BU called balk, saying he never came to a stop but must have missed the step off of the rubber. Pitcher never made a move anywhere but home when the runner took off other than stepping off. Even if BU didn't see it, could he make a move straight home without a full stop if the runner is stealing?
Only if he disengages. Otherwise, it's a pitch (and a balk for not coming set).
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was his original call?
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pitching rules do not change just because a runner is stealing home. If F1 steps off he can throw home. If he stays on the rubber, he must come set.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 03:57pm

Quote:

2) As long as the pitcher stepped back off the rubber he becomes a fielder, and can throw as quickly as he wants to the plate, as he is no longer pitching. If he does not disengage the rubber, he is still a pitcher, and must still come to a stop, as he is delivering a pitch.

If the pitcher stepped off, the batter cannot swing or interfere with the play.

If the pitcher did not step off, and delivered the pitch, the catcher cannot interfere with the batter's swing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
What was his original call?
He had no call an the bunting player ran to first until everyone on the home team starts with the "But he hit the ball twice" comment. Any change in what you have if he is out of the box on the second contact?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

The only comment I would make would be a question about HOW the pitcher "stepped off" in sit 2. Otherwise agree all around.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2007, 09:24am
BigGuy

Quote:
He had no call an the bunting player ran to first until everyone on the home team starts with the "But he hit the ball twice" comment. Any change in what you have if he is out of the box on the second contact?
Depends if the contact is incidental of intentional - see 8-4-1d