The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Is a Runner that is tagged going to first..

...considered a force out?

Ex: 2 outs. R3. BR bunts the ball. F3 picks it up and goes to tag BR. R3 scores before the tag. Is this still a forceout and the run does not count?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
...considered a force out?

Ex: 2 outs. R3. BR bunts the ball. F3 picks it up and goes to tag BR. R3 scores before the tag. Is this still a forceout and the run does not count?
Technically, no it is not a force out. However, the run does not count because the third out occured before the Batter/runner safely reached first.

This is one of the rare cases in baseball wherein something looks like a duck, walks like a duck and even quacks like a duck, but isn't a duck.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:08am
Stop staring at me swan.

Not a force out...but the run does not score...a batter-runner must successfully reach 1B in order for that run to count. So getting in a rundown between 1B and Home would be silly with 2 outs. (mostly silly anyway...but esp w/ 2 outs)
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Not a force out...but the run does not score...a batter-runner must successfully reach 1B in order for that run to count. So getting in a rundown between 1B and Home would be silly with 2 outs. (mostly silly anyway...but esp w/ 2 outs)
It would be beyond "silly" for the defense to "play that game" in any situation.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:21am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
It would be beyond "silly" for the defense to "play that game" in any situation.
Yes! :-) I could see it happening in a little league game or something like that...not really anywhere else. Maybe adult beer league softball!
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry I know this should be straight forward, I guess i'm having a mind cramp here.

What about bases loaded, R1 is tagged between 1st and second, R3 has crossed the plate, Score the run or not??

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 03:07pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
Sorry I know this should be straight forward, I guess i'm having a mind cramp here.

What about bases loaded, R1 is tagged between 1st and second, R3 has crossed the plate, Score the run or not??
It is still a force situation, and no run can score when the third out is a force situation, even though the runner was tagged.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 03:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
It is still a force situation, and no run can score when the third out is a force situation, even though the runner was tagged.
Steve is correct...remember that when the third out is a force no run can score...I know I'm just repeating Steve's comment...but that is a quick and easy explanation if Mr. Coach comes out to ask why his run didn't count.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe adult beer league softball!

They already have that covered. In (ASA) softball, the BR is immediately out if he steps backward to delay or avoid a tag. The violation is treated like interference.

I'm going to write to my Congressmen and suggest that full understanding of force plays be included on the citizenship test.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Maybe adult beer league softball!

They already have that covered. In (ASA) softball, the BR is immediately out if he steps backward to delay or avoid a tag. The violation is treated like interference.

I'm going to write to my Congressmen and suggest that full understanding of force plays be included on the citizenship test.
Just curious on this one greymule, is this just in slowpitch? Or all forms of ASA? Lord knows I don't have an ASA rulebook.

Maybe FED is looking at putting this rule in to avoid injury
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Is this just in slowpitch? Or all forms of ASA?

The rule about stepping backward to avoid or delay a tag applies to all ASA softball. I don't know about Fed softball.