The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:01pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What did he do to interfere? I couldn't tell in your OP (but i dont think that's what you're mainly concerned with).

If a runner is obstructed, that doesn't mean he's immuned to interference as well. If he interferes, even before his protected base, call him out and call a DP if the situation warrants.
The int was on R1 in his slide into 3B causing F5 to not be able to make the throw in time to catch the BR.

My issue is really whether or not the two events are independent of each other or if the obstruction has precedence over the interference. The rule book doesn't really explain what happens if you have both
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:11pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
The int was on R1 in his slide into 3B causing F5 to not be able to make the throw in time to catch the BR.

My issue is really whether or not the two events are independent of each other or if the obstruction has precedence over the interference. The rule book doesn't really explain what happens if you have both
It does...because I think on one...the ball becomes dead immediately...which I think is the interference so at that point you would kill the play and place the runner...either you call him out or send him back to the base last legally occupied. Interference kills the play, OBS, is ignored. This is where you have to interpret things because the rule book can't possibly have every situation that will happend in a game.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:14pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Once he is "out" at third, call time, and "award" him third base on the obstruction. All other runners return to the last base they occupied when you called time. Now there is no interference because the ball has become dead.
This is also the correct ruling in an OBS situation. Sorry Tex...I read your post after posting my previous post. Nice job on explaining the mechanic. A scenario similar to this is on page 49 of the PBUC manual.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 04:56pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
Once he is "out" at third, call time, and "award" him third base on the obstruction. All other runners return to the last base they occupied when you called time. Now there is no interference because the ball has become dead.
Big Tex - given your scenario - when did the ball become dead? According to FED in OBS, it's a delayed dead ball and the play is not killed until all playing action has stopped, then time is called and bases awarded. See example from CB 8.3.2 Situation A

RULING: Umpire shall signal a delayed dead ball when the infraction by F5 occurs. At the conclusion of playing action, he declares the ball dead, then awards home to R1 and allows R2 to remain at third.

The play is not the same, but the mechanics of calling DDB should be. Thoughts, anyone?
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Big,

If this were an OBR game then Tex has given you the proper call. What started out as type B obstruction became type A as soon as R1 was played upon. This is a dead ball and R1 is awarded third. All other runners are awarded bases, if any, that will nullify the act of obstruction.

Tim.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Defense screwed up. Don't reward them.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
If the two events are mutually exclusive and you call int on R1, if, in your opinion, the BR could have been thrown out at 2B absent the int, could you not also call out the BR at second. I didn't see anbody answer that.
In the OP, no, you can't have 2 outs because there was no double play available. The lead runner was safe on the OBS, and if he then interferes with a play on the only other runner, I can't see how you can get more than one out here.

As for the OP, it is apparent that there are two differing codes regarding OBS:

1. Call DDB. Let play continue until all action is over.

2. Call DDB. Let play continue until all action is over OR the obstructed runner is put out before his/her protection is removed.

In the former, the lead runner would be out on INT and the other returned to 1B.

In the latter, the play would be killed as soon as the lead runner was 'out'. Runners would then be awarded bases. Since the ball was dead, there was no INT, so no outs.

Personally, the latter makes more sense to me.