The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

That can't be right

Attention Editor, an article written about citrus plays contains two squeeze plays that I find interesting.

In the lemon squeeze, a batter bunts the pitch that hits the sliding runner and rolls fair. The catcher fields the ball and tags the batter out after the runs scores, but then a safe/fair/out call occurs.

I would suggest that the runner may be out, the ball dead and the batter awarded first base.

In the grapefruit squeeze, R3 and R2 score on a passed ball and R1 is called out for the batter's unintentional interference, ball makes contact with bat.

I would suggest that the batter may be out for intentional interference, confusing F1 who must shove him out of the way, the ball is dead and all three runner's must return to their bases at the TOP.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Apr 15, 2007 at 09:31am.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: That can't be right

1. Was this a day or night game?
2. Was the pitch a rising gyroball?
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Attention Editor, an article written about citrus plays contains two squeeze plays that I find interesting.

In the lemon squeeze, a batter bunts the pitch that hits the sliding runner and rolls fair. The catcher fields the ball and tags the batter out after the runs scores, but then a safe/fair/out call occurs.

I would suggest that the runner may be out, the ball dead and the batter awarded first base.

In the grapefruit squeeze, R3 and R2 score on a passed ball and R1 is called out for the batter's unintentional interference, ball makes contact with bat.

I would suggest that the batter may be out for intentional interference, confusing F1 who must shove him out of the way, the ball is dead and all three runner's must return to their bases at the TOP.
In the lemon squeeze, R3 had already scored at the time the ball hit him so he's safe. The ball touched a player while over fair territory so it's fair. You don't call anyting on plate-tangles so if F2 tagged the B-R he's out.

In the grapefruit squeeze, the out WAS called for interference. Runners return to the base legally touched AT THE TIME OF THE INTERFERENCE. In this case at that time they had scored. Runs score.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives

In the grapefruit squeeze, the out WAS called for interference. Runners return to the base legally touched AT THE TIME OF THE INTERFERENCE. In this case at that time they had scored. Runs score.
I'm confused please help.

If the last runner scored before the interference, then how can you have interference? No play, no call.

What am I missing?
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
I'm confused please help.

If the last runner scored before the interference, then how can you have interference? No play, no call.

What am I missing?
Did you read the article?

Bases were loaded.

R3 and R2 scored.

Interference at the plate by the batter on the throw to get R1.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 11:24am.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

This is what happens when you ask people to comment on a play ... and don't post the play.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
This is what happens when you ask people to comment on a play ... and don't post the play.
SAump posted the synopsis. I'm surprised he hasn't been back with a 3 page disertation on why his analysis is correct.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 12:08pm.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you read the article?

Bases were loaded.

R3 and R2 scored.

Interference at the plate by the batter on the throw to get R1.
I didn't read the post very carefully. Sorry
The way I read it the first time the only two runners on scored.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Always Wright
[QUOTE=Rich Ives]In the lemon squeeze, R3 had already scored at the time the ball hit him so he's safe. The ball touched a player while over fair territory so it's fair. You don't call anyting on plate-tangles so if F2 tagged the B-R he's out.

Rich,

What rules are you talking about? I believe in OBR, R3 would be out and BR awarded first base.

7.09 "It is interference by a batter or a runner when -
(k) A fair ball touches him over fair territory..."
2.00 Definitions "A runner is an offensive player who is advancing to, or touching, or returning to any base."

The way I am envisioning the play, R3 is hit with a fair ball while advancing to or touching home plate. It seems according to the rules above, R3 is guilty of interference and should be called out. Could you please cite the rule that exempts him from this call because he has already scored?

Thanks.

Chris Wright
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Always Wright]
Quote:
In the lemon squeeze, R3 had already scored at the time the ball hit him so he's safe. The ball touched a player while over fair territory so it's fair. You don't call anyting on plate-tangles so if F2 tagged the B-R he's out.

Rich,

What rules are you talking about? I believe in OBR, R3 would be out and BR awarded first base.

7.09 "It is interference by a batter or a runner when -
(k) A fair ball touches him over fair territory..."
2.00 Definitions "A runner is an offensive player who is advancing to, or touching, or returning to any base."

The way I am envisioning the play, R3 is hit with a fair ball while advancing to or touching home plate. It seems according to the rules above, R3 is guilty of interference and should be called out. Could you please cite the rule that exempts him from this call because he has already scored?

Thanks.

Chris Wright
He had already touched home plate at the time he was hit. He was no longer a runner at the time he was hit. (and the run was legally scored and thus cannot be unscored)
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

[quote=Rich Ives]In the grapefruit squeeze, the out WAS called for interference. Runners return to the base legally touched AT THE TIME OF THE INTERFERENCE. In this case at that time they had scored. Runs score.

Rich,

I believe in OBR, a new rule change was added this year.

Rule 2.00 (Interference) Comment: In the event the batter-runner has not reached first base, all runners shall return to the base last occupied at the time of the pitch.

The way I am envisioning the play, B/R is hit with a thrown ball while interfereing with a fielder's attempt to make a play. It seems according to the rules above, batter is guilty of interference and should be called out. Could you please cite the rule that exempts all runners whom have already scored?

Thanks.

SAump, aka Not Alwaysright
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SAump]
Quote:

Rich,

I believe in OBR, a new rule change was added this year.

Rule 2.00 (Interference) Comment: In the event the batter-runner has not reached first base, all runners shall return to the base last occupied at the time of the pitch.

The way I am envisioning the play, B/R is hit with a thrown ball while interfereing with a fielder's attempt to make a play. It seems according to the rules above, batter is guilty of interference and should be called out. Could you please cite the rule that exempts all runners whom have already scored?

Thanks.

SAump, aka Not Alwaysright
That comment was not added this year - it's been around.

Anyhow, he's not the batter-runner - he's still the batter so the comment doesn't apply.

Back to 2.00 Interference (a) - all other runners shall return to the last base that was in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference

Last edited by Rich Ives; Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:40pm.