View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 15, 2007, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Attention Editor, an article written about citrus plays contains two squeeze plays that I find interesting.

In the lemon squeeze, a batter bunts the pitch that hits the sliding runner and rolls fair. The catcher fields the ball and tags the batter out after the runs scores, but then a safe/fair/out call occurs.

I would suggest that the runner may be out, the ball dead and the batter awarded first base.

In the grapefruit squeeze, R3 and R2 score on a passed ball and R1 is called out for the batter's unintentional interference, ball makes contact with bat.

I would suggest that the batter may be out for intentional interference, confusing F1 who must shove him out of the way, the ball is dead and all three runner's must return to their bases at the TOP.
In the lemon squeeze, R3 had already scored at the time the ball hit him so he's safe. The ball touched a player while over fair territory so it's fair. You don't call anyting on plate-tangles so if F2 tagged the B-R he's out.

In the grapefruit squeeze, the out WAS called for interference. Runners return to the base legally touched AT THE TIME OF THE INTERFERENCE. In this case at that time they had scored. Runs score.