The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Who Watches the Tag Up?

1 out. R2. MLB game. Batter hits long fly ball to CF. R2 goes back to tag up.

Which up has the responsibilty for determining if he tagged properly? Would the 2nd base up have the catch/no catch responsibility?
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
4 man mechanics, U2 has the tag up. Depending on where in CF the ball is hit, catch/no catch could be either U1 or U3, as they divide the field. If the ball is hit directly at the CF, then that would be U3's call. U2 is inside with R2 and has no fly ball coverage.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81

Which up has the responsibilty for determining if he tagged properly? Would the 2nd base up have the catch/no catch responsibility?
With two man crew, BU should easily be able to see the tag with the ball hit to CF as he is looking right through the bag.

With three man crew, it would be U3 as he can easily line up the ball and runner with U2 taking the catch/no catch.

Thanks
David
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
With two man crew, BU should easily be able to see the tag with the ball hit to CF as he is looking right through the bag.

With three man crew, it would be U3 as he can easily line up the ball and runner with U2 taking the catch/no catch.

Thanks
David
David, I belive you have your coverages incorrect on 3 man. (U1 is 1st base ump and U2 is 3rd base ump). In 3 man, with a runner @ 2nd, U1 is in the B position, and U2 is in D. The fly ball would belong to U1 along with the re-touch.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom
David, I belive you have your coverages incorrect on 3 man. (U1 is 1st base ump and U3 is 3rd base ump). In 3 man, with a runner @ 2nd, U1 is in the B position, and U3 is in D. The fly ball would belong to U1 along with the re-touch.
Unless, of course, U1 goes out. Then U3 would have the tag at second.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Unless, of course, U1 goes out. Then U3 would have the tag at second.
Rich, If U1 is inside in the B position, why would he go out? I was under the impression that once your inside, your inside. So, U1 has the cone, U2 has F7 to the left field line, and plate has F9 to the right field line in 3 man.

Unless somebody has changed the mechanics and now if you start inside, you can go out?
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 08:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom
Rich, If U1 is inside in the B position, why would he go out? I was under the impression that once your inside, your inside. So, U1 has the cone, U2 has F7 to the left field line, and plate has F9 to the right field line in 3 man.

Unless somebody has changed the mechanics and now if you start inside, you can go out?
College (CCA) mechanics. Trouble ball in the cone, 3-man, the inside umpire can (and should) go out. Revert to 2 man.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
College (CCA) mechanics. Trouble ball in the cone, 3-man, the inside umpire can (and should) go out. Revert to 2 man.
Thats interesting to know (I don't posess the CCA manual, and reference the PBUC manual), because the way I learned 3 man is that once your in, your in. On a trouble ball in the cone, you get to the fringe of the infield, line up the play / re-touch, and any subsequent play @ 3rd belongs to U2.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

rich is correct re: going out from the inside in 3man. i believe it is a new mechanic. we reviewed it at a college 3 man clinic earlier this year.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
rich is correct re: going out from the inside in 3man. i believe it is a new mechanic. we reviewed it at a college 3 man clinic earlier this year.
I believe NCAA has been encouraging going out on trouble from the insidefor three or four years.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 04:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

does anybody have a mechanics reference that tells umpires that are in B or C to go out in NCAA?
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
does anybody have a mechanics reference that tells umpires that are in B or C to go out in NCAA?
Certainly. It's called the CCA Baseball Umpires Manual. It illustrates and directs when the inside umpire goes out.

To quote one such direction. Title:

Runner on first. Fly ball to left-center field. U3 Goes out

Action on fireld. Deep fly ball to left-center field, no catch. U3 goes out, R1 advances towards third base, drawing a throw there. Batter/runner advances toward second base.

Umpire responsibilities: U3 moves to the outfield to view the no catch. U1 immediately enters the infiedl and has all plays at f8rst and second base. UIC reads R1 and rotates to third base if R1 commits to third.

There are at least 13 other similar instances described. Will this do until you get your copy?

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Apr 11, 2007 at 05:06pm.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
2006 Book, 3 umpires, Basic Principles:

3. Infield umpires may go out. In some situations, an umpire positioned in teh middle of the diamond may cross the basepaths and head into the outfield for better coverage.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
2006 Book, 3 umpires, Basic Principles:

3. Infield umpires may go out. In some situations, an umpire positioned in teh middle of the diamond may cross the basepaths and head into the outfield for better coverage.
Same notation in the 2005 and 2004 editions as well.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 06:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81

Back to the original play. Pro mechanics.

U2 has no outfield responsibility when inside. Either U1 or U3 will go out on the fly ball.

If U1 goes out, then U2 will watch the tag at second and U3 is in position for the play at third. If the ball's to center field, then U1 should go out as it sets up the subsequent play at third better.