The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

High school coaches know when to stop but youth coaches are often worst than the kids they "coach". Thought maybe I would start a post about funny things these guys have done this season.

Team losing by a lot with a few minutes left to go. The opposition has the ball 4th down and makes a first down by about a yard. Coach starts complaining they should get the first from across the field. Assistant says, "Measure."

Measurement confirms first down for the other team. Coach starts complaining you ought to give it to us because we are losing. Tell the coach, "Enough."

Next play opposition runs for a touchdown. Hear comes the coach now clapping and saying, "See what you did." Tell the coach I have heard enough and get back in the box. He keeps up his tirade. I tell him, "that's enough!" and toss the flag.

Still doesn't shut up. Finally, "Coach!" I said, "I have heard enough."

Not to be outdone, he responds, "I'm not finihsed, yet!"

To which my response was to reach in my pocket, get out the second flag and inform him, "Now you are."
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ed, I think your biggest mistake was telling him that was enough multiple times. I'm going to tell youth coaches only once, then I'm flagging. I would not have told him enough after the first flag, if hes not smart enough to shutup after the first flag then he will be tossed. I would have immeditely flagged when he said "See what you did."

I have very little tolerance for youth coaches. They just don't know when to stop.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
High school coaches know when to stop but youth coaches are often worst than the kids they "coach". Thought maybe I would start a post about funny things these guys have done this season.

Team losing by a lot with a few minutes left to go. The opposition has the ball 4th down and makes a first down by about a yard. Coach starts complaining they should get the first from across the field. Assistant says, "Measure."

Measurement confirms first down for the other team. Coach starts complaining you ought to give it to us because we are losing. Tell the coach, "Enough."

Next play opposition runs for a touchdown. Hear comes the coach now clapping and saying, "See what you did." Tell the coach I have heard enough and get back in the box. He keeps up his tirade. I tell him, "that's enough!" and toss the flag.

Still doesn't shut up. Finally, "Coach!" I said, "I have heard enough."

Not to be outdone, he responds, "I'm not finihsed, yet!"

To which my response was to reach in my pocket, get out the second flag and inform him, "Now you are."
What took so long?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I have very little tolerance for youth coaches.

I'm with you, brother.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Today's freshman game, NF rules:

Same coach is yelling about an un-catchable pass, that his quarterback is outside the tackles on an intentional grounding call and then on same intentional grounding call that the pass went beyond the line of scrimmage.

The question that went through my head was, “How can this coach be so ignorant about high schools, but yet know that the pass must pass the LOS in NCAA?”

We figured that when his player was the first to touch the pass after going out of bounds that he would not understand illegal touching.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Ed, I think your biggest mistake was telling him that was enough multiple times. I'm going to tell youth coaches only once, then I'm flagging. I would not have told him enough after the first flag, if hes not smart enough to shutup after the first flag then he will be tossed. I would have immeditely flagged when he said "See what you did."

I have very little tolerance for youth coaches. They just don't know when to stop.
My tolerance for youth coaches ended many years ago when I stopped doing those games.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Quote:

My tolerance for youth coaches ended many years ago when I stopped doing those games.
Ya know, I get so sick and tired of guys that think they're "too good" to work these lower level games. You wonder why kids in HS are getting more and more out of line all the time. It's because these youth games are left to the 1st-3rd year officials who really don't know how to handle them, and, like the original poster, they give too much leeway. Throw the damn flags for cryin out loud, and give some deserving coaches/players an early shower a time or two. That alone will go a long way in cleaning up some of this $hit!!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:

Ya know, I get so sick and tired of guys that think they're "too good" to work these lower level games. You wonder why kids in HS are getting more and more out of line all the time. It's because these youth games are left to the 1st-3rd year officials who really don't know how to handle them, and, like the original poster, they give too much leeway. Throw the damn flags for cryin out loud, and give some deserving coaches/players an early shower a time or two. That alone will go a long way in cleaning up some of this $hit!!
Maybe it has to do with the fact that officials don't want to work that crap. It isn't worth their time to be harassed, why put up with that crap?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Ditto.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've had fewer problems with youth coaches than I have with youth parents. They're the real psychos.

For the most part (with exceptions that we can all name), I've found the few youth coaches I've had to deal with to be guys who really care about teaching and making sure the kids have fun, and they haven't given officials much, if any, stick.

Travel basketball coaches, now I've had it with them. I'm retired from basketball because of that crap.

I find that freshman football coaches are pretty good, and the middle school coaches I've had have been pretty good (except for not knowing the rules).

I had one guy (this is a 7th grade coach, now) riding me the whole first half last week and I finally said, "Coach, would you like to do this?"

He said, "No. No, I wouldn't." And didn't say anything else to me the rest of the game.

But I've had more positive experiences than negative ones with youth, freshman, and lower level football coaches. And I've hosed a couple of them with inadvertent whistles and they've been cool about it.

There's pain in the *** coaches at every level in every sport. I don't know that one level has a monopoly on them.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

This past weekend, a couple of my buddies from basketball were officiating my 7th grade son's football game. We were winning by 10 points and had the ball. The opposing coach called a TO with 4 seconds left in the game. When we resumed play, the referee blew his whistle as soon as the ball was snapped and called game. He knew their coach still had another TO.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Had a coach surprise me last week. His team is on defense and gets called for DPI. ASSistant coach is yelling that the pass wasn't catchable. Head coach quite forcefully says, "Shut up! That's the college rule. This is a high school game!" He eventually lost 34-6 but he earned a little more respect from me.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:
Quote:

The problem with youth sport is that the parents run it. There is no governing body that has any guts to clean it up. It is for the gratification of the fathers who think they are all Vince Lombardi and only care about winning. Granted, there are those who are reasonable, but the idiots are the ones in control. That is why I rarely do non-school games. And to blame officials who chose not to do this crap for the behavior of high school kids is ludicrous! Don't be blaming me for the behavior of high school kids! That is typical passing the buck. The behavior of high school kids is based on PARENTS and high school COACHES!!
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

i stopped workiing rec ball last year. it takes to long to travel to an area that has a good program 2 counties over and the one closest to me has at least one good assault a season. i don't want to be the next.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Between FB and BB I have done alot of youth games in the past years. There are times when I think that it doesn't matter and it isn't worth my time. . . .and then there are times when I truly enjoy facilitating and even teaching at some points. I agree whole-hartedly with travel BB coaches being completely out of hand, I think FB is easier to deal with.

One that note, don't be afraid to call a T in BB or toss the flag in FB, and if you are going to do it, don't wait till the very end of the game when you have been letting the coaches get away with murder already. Hop on this stuff right away, as soon as it develops and before people get overly frustraited, it will leave you with a better outcome then will warning coaches a half a dozen time. Once is enough.