The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Cece Carlucci - video Quiz

Just found this after talking to Cece, might wanna view.

http://www.pe.com/sharedcontent/Vide...2635&catId=293

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
He seems like a gem of a man. Tim Christensen once told me about spending long hours on the phone with Mr. Carlucci discussing baseball while ordering his CP. I'm not so sure I want a Carlucci protector, but I'd sure love to sit down with him and chew the fat for a while. Maybe an interview with Cece placed on the paid side would be an attractive idea. I'm sure one of the writers here would love to do that interview.

Tim.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I was sorry it ended so soon. If he ever made a 2 hour video with about a hundred of those cool little stories, I'd buy it. He seems like a great guy. One of those people you could listen to all day.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I think CC might be incorrect on his 2nd play ruling according to the MLBUM:

8-21-03 @ WUA Site — When a live ball enters a player's uniform or the catcher's gear, the ball
is to be ruled dead and no subsequent outs can be obtained by the defense. The umpire is then
directed to employ common sense and fairness and place the runners such that the act of the ball
becoming dead is nullified. The umpire may not, however, enforce any outs that he thinks may
have occurred had the ball remained live. Outs occurring before the ball went out of play stand.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

8-21-03 @ WUA Site — When a live ball enters a player's uniform or the catcher's gear, the ball
is to be ruled dead and no subsequent outs can be obtained by the defense. The umpire is then
directed to employ common sense and fairness and place the runners such that the act of the ball
becoming dead is nullified. The umpire may not, however, enforce any outs that he thinks may
have occurred had the ball remained live. Outs occurring before the ball went out of play stand.
I have a feeling that he made his ruling loooong before the WUA issued that interpretation.

Tim.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Doublecheck that

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72

The ball entered the runner's back pocket and CC ruled all runners get 2 base award from TOI. The runner was between 2B and 3B when it happened. The runner then continued home with the ball trapped in his back pocket.
Probably the same rulebook interpretation on a ball thrown into DBT from the outfield or a 2nd play made in the infield.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I have a feeling that he made his ruling loooong before the WUA issued that interpretation.

Tim.

Same here!