The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry, I can;t resist

There is a Riddell Power chest protector on Ebay, it's magic, buy it now.

Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxley11
so the pro nine I guess is a good CP. For $60 on Ebay I think it looks like a good CP to do U12 in. Would I be correct in saying that?
Hey all,

For the same cost, you are MUCH better off with this one...

http://www.smitteez.com/index.php?cr...on=show_detail

LomUmp
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

LomUmp
You mean this one?

Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 07:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
You mean this one?

I think it would be just as good to buy one of those ugly *** umpire shirts with the stripes on the shoulders. I mean, those shirts are so ugly even a baseball would avoid hitting it.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I think it would be just as good to buy one of those ugly *** umpire shirts with the stripes on the shoulders. I mean, those shirts are so ugly even a baseball would avoid hitting it.
Hey Rich (and understand, I'm writing this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek), you mean the shirts that look like the jackets with the shoulder inserts in them, which I seem to notice that MOST umpires seem to be sporting these days?

And, who cares how ugly the CP is....aren't we wearing them UNDER our shirts? Just curious.

(takes tongue out from cheek)
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireBob
Hey Rich (and understand, I'm writing this with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek), you mean the shirts that look like the jackets with the shoulder inserts in them, which I seem to notice that MOST umpires seem to be sporting these days?

(takes tongue out from cheek)
No, he means the shirts that have shoulder trim, collar trim and sleeve trim, unlike the jackets which, just have the shoulder trim.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Apr 13, 2007 at 11:23am.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:31pm
Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I've used a WV, a WV Platinum, and a WV Gold.

Currently, I use a Honig's K1 for everything from LL to college baseball.

Will the K1 provide the same protection as a WV Gold? Doubt it. I took a shot last year and I felt it. Wouldn't have felt it with a WV, but I feel it worth the tradeoff -- the K1 is light and comfortable.
My feelings exactly. I've worn the WV Platinum for years, then tried the K1 and have never looked back.

Leo
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince
My feelings exactly. I've worn the WV Platinum for years, then tried the K1 and have never looked back.

Leo
K1's are worn on the Major League Level as well by a few guys. You cant go wrong, but the Wilson CP's are, overall, "more protective."
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Rich, I have to agree with you. I have used the K1 for about 4 years now, it is light and fairly protective. I have taken a 80+ shot near the collar and I felt it. I have also been hit directly in the sternum and it took my breath away.

I purchased the $39.00 special WV on Ebay and have used it on a couple of occasions, but have yet to take a hit with it. So the jury is still out. I think I'll continue to use the K1 for anything below the HS varsity level.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LomUmp
Hey all,

LomUmp
I could be wrong, but isnt that just as bulky as the WV Gold? I am looking for something very, very light that I can take a pitch that goes no more than 65.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could be wrong, but isnt that just as bulky as the WV Gold? I am looking for something very, very light that I can take a pitch that goes no more than 65.
Hey all,

All I am saying is that the cp fom Smitties is very close to the V-Sport that I own. I have, and still do own, the Pro-Nine cp you are looking at. The V-Sport is a little hotter to wear than the Pro-Nine, but that is pretty standard for a hard shell. The Champro or Champion version ( I forget which it is) is more comfortable and offers more protection, IMHO, than the Pro-Nine does.

So, to me, better comfort and protection at the same price...I would choose the hard shell over the Pro-Nine EVERY TIME! It is light and not much bulkier than the Pro-Nine.

This is just the opinion of someone who owns both and can tell the difference from experience with each item.

LomUmp
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

I'll say it again. Don't buy a cheap chest protector.

Two reasons. First is your safety. Good gear might save you some day. Hey, I know a guy that does adult ball with a thin Cooper softball protector. He's just lucky. I got nailed in a little kids game in a medium weight Diamond, and felt goofy for a week. Your health is not worth it.

Second, when you go to sell a good quality cp, you'll get a good return on eBay. Your real out of pocket expense is minimal (tell your wife I said so). A $150 cp will bring back $100, but a $60 one will only net you $20. A ten buck difference, but you're wearing top 'o the line gear.

Long after the money is spent, you'll never regret buying the best.

p.s. go ahead and buy cheap shinguards. Those $100+ WV's are a waste of dough. Light, vented, CoolMax lined Coopers will put enough cash in your pocket to buy a Platinum.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Kyle nailed it!!!

You can go cheap on shinguards and even on your mask (inexpensive usually means 'heavy', but protection wise, they should be ok).

Don't skimp a penny on your chest protector or plate shoes. Cups are generally about $5, so that covers your three most important protective items.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

A Question

I have an older model POS plate coat (at least I think it is an older model), and with the K1 and old Douglas West Vest (which is the best WV ever made), the plate coat does not fit well acorss the stiff upper chest area. It stretches the coat in front (even though the coat is too big for me) , and even sometimes the shoulder cups will start to pull out from under the coat.

Does anyone else have this problem, or do I need to buy a new plate coat?
Old Sat Apr 14, 2007, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
http://www.baseballjunk.com/umpireequip_cp.htm

See the Cooper CPU23. I have a used one in my attic I will sell you for half of a new one, you pay shipping. Mine is a model 20, and modified, I cut the bottom 4 inches of it off, the part at the bottom in the picture. It is the lightest and coolest chest protector I have ever had, but I have not used it in awhile. It will stop anything but you begin to feel it at levels above JV ball.