The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

An appreciation

On April 14, in Billerica, Massachusetts, Joe Driscoll suffered a massive coronary and passed away.

Who is Joe Driscoll?

He is one of us, part of this grand fraternity of umpiring, part of the brotherhood.

Joe worked 40 years for the United States Postal Service. He operated the clock at Boston College football games. He officiated basketball and football.

But, first and foremost, he was an umpire. He worked the plate in Omaha that was Roger Clemens last collegiate game. He was a man who took umpiring seriously, but understood that it was still a GAME.

Two stories to illustrate the point:

High school playoff game. Two umpires named Driscoll assigned to the contest. On the bases, Joe, the veteran arbiter whom everyone trusted. On the dish, Joe's son, Todd, young, inexperienced. Fears abounded that he would make a bad call and blow the game.

Second inning, steal of second, Joe kicks the call. At the end of the inning, he goes to his son and says "Everyone said you were going to screw up, so I took care of it for you".

Just last Friday, local college game, assisant coach is squawking about Joe's calls on the bases, he responded as he often did in those situations, "I don't speak to caddies".

Joe Driscoll was a great umpire, but an even better person. Godspeed.

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Tue Apr 17, 2007, 09:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Sounds like a great guy...may he kick a few upstairs and then buy Billy Martin a beer! RIP my fellow colleague