The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

NYC Mayor to Veto Ban on Metal Bats

In relation to a previous thread about banning metal bats in NYC.

From FOX NEWS

New York City Mayor Bloomberg to Veto Ban on Metal Baseball Bats

Monday , April 02, 2007

NEW YORK —
Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday he'll veto a bill to ban metal bats from high school baseball in the nation's largest school system, a change that supporters say would make the game slower and safer.
"I don't know whether aluminum bats are more dangerous or less dangerous," said Bloomberg. "But I don't think it's the city's business to regulate that."
It appeared, however, that the City Council would have enough votes to override a veto.
Similar measures have been proposed by youth leagues and lawmakers in other states, including New Jersey, where a batted ball struck a 12-year-old boy in the chest, sending him into cardiac arrest.
Sponsors of New York City's bill, passed last month, say that non-wood bats lead to faster and harder hits and that this can be dangerous for young players in the path of the balls.
Opponents, including Little League Baseball and sporting goods makers, say there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose more of a risk than wooden bats. They say the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data, and some have indicated they will take the matter to court.

The Mayor sounds like a smart person and I agree that this is not a matter for the City to judge. There are more important things for the City of NY do be concerned with. Let the NCAA, FED and Youth leagues handle baseball.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Opponents, including Little League Baseball and sporting goods makers, say there is no scientific evidence proving metal bats pose more of a risk than wooden bats. They say the anti-metal movement relies on emotional anecdotes over concrete data, and some have indicated they will take the matter to court.
That's right, folks. Little League has stated that metal bats and wooden bats are one of the same. So instead of plunking down $200 for that new bi-carbon-metalite-composite, go to Wal-mart and get a $10 wooden bat. It will work just as well.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to elie
thats right thank you for your post
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'm sure that Easton, and the others, had nothing to do with this decision.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Mayor sounds like a smart person and I agree that this is not a matter for the City to judge. There are more important things for the City of NY do be concerned with. Let the NCAA, FED and Youth leagues handle baseball.
yea like outlawing trans fatty acids or declaring April as save a tree month or debating whether 53rd st should be MLK Blvd.
City councils likethe US congress should be in session at most 60 days a year and then maybe stupidity like this would be minimized.
Notice I said minimized and not eliminated.
As long as you have stupid lawmakers you'll get stupid law.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday he'll veto a bill to ban metal bats from high school baseball in the nation's largest school system, a change that supporters say would make the game slower and safer.
"I don't know whether aluminum bats are more dangerous or less dangerous," said Bloomberg. "But I don't think it's the city's business to regulate that."
Yes, but will he ban metal bats from being used by off-duty police officers?
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

From FOX NEWS

New York City Mayor Bloomberg to Veto Ban on Metal Baseball Bats

Monday , April 02, 2007

NEW YORK —
It appeared, however, that the City Council would have enough votes to override a veto.
Similar measures have been proposed by youth leagues and lawmakers in other states, including New Jersey, where a batted ball struck a 12-year-old boy in the chest, sending him into cardiac arrest.
Sponsors of New York City's bill, passed last month, say that non-wood bats lead to faster and harder hits and that this can be dangerous for young players in the path of the balls.

Hey, now there's an idea!